Ingefanclub

Galarraga throws perfect game

Armando Galarraga threw the 1st perfect game in Tigers history tonight going the distance striking out 3 Indians and only throwing 88 pitches. Austin Jackson made a great over the shoulder catch in deep left center off the bat of Mark Grudzielnek to lead off the 9th. Then Galarraga got a ground out to shortstop and finshed off Donald who grounded out 1st baseman Cabrera to Galarraga covering on the mound.

Jim Joyce pumped his fist into the air ringing the 3rd out and the crowd of 17,000 went nuts spilling onto the field of Comerica Park as Galarraga was mobbed by his teammates. "This is the best day of my life!" shouted Armando as his teammates hoisted him into the air.

** I am glad I got to witness this on tv. 120 years of Tigers baseball and I actually was there to watch every out of the perfect game!!***

Oh what should have been... I'm sure in a parallel universe this is the story line. Why do I have to be in universe?!?

Thanks for the positive thread, the fact that he held the ball and never let go of it until there was shaving cream in his face was the best

ssgalasm.gif

Armando Galarraga threw the 1st perfect game in Tigers history tonight going the distance striking out 3 Indians and only throwing 88 pitches. Austin Jackson made a great over the shoulder catch in deep left center off the bat of Mark Grudzielnek to lead off the 9th. Then Galarraga got a ground out to shortstop and finshed off Donald who grounded out 1st baseman Cabrera to Galarraga covering on the mound.

Jim Joyce pumped his fist into the air ringing the 3rd out and the crowd of 17,000 went nuts spilling onto the field of Comerica Park as Galarraga was mobbed by his teammates. "This is the best day of my life!" shouted Armando as his teammates hoisted him into the air.

** I am glad I got to witness this on tv. 120 years of Tigers baseball and I actually was there to watch every out of the perfect game!!***

After reading this...getting misty eyed!

i've always liked the guy and him being so classy about this just makes me pull for him even more. hope he can have a great season regardless..

First I wanted to kill Jim Joyce, then I wanted to beat him within an inch of his life, then I wanted him fired and exiled to Iraq, now I just want to buy a Galarraga jersey and wipe my eyes for a second, and get ready to watch the next Galarraga start in person.

I got a text about an hour ago, from a St. Louis Cardinals -- die hard fan, saying congrats on the perfect game!

I like how it's not even 50/50, 99.% of sane people say the dude was out!

Oh what should have been... I'm sure in a parallel universe this is the story line. Why do I have to be in universe?!?

lol so true

I'm still just sick about this. I don't give a ratsass how bad Jim Joyce might feel about this.

This... I don't care how bad he feels, he should feel like ****. That close of a call, his first instincts were to call him out...

CALL HIM OUT!

Umpire Jim Joyce remains haunted by blown call that cost Detroit Tigers' Armando Galaragga perfect game - ESPN

LOS ANGELES -- Umpire Jim Joyce is still bothered by his blown call that cost the Detroit Tigers' Armando Galarraga a perfect game in June.

Joyce joined Galarraga as presenters at the ESPY Awards on Wednesday night. They shook hands onstage before announcing their category.

Joyce said backstage that he thinks about the incident every day and that the first couple of games he worked after the one on June 2 were very difficult.

He said that to this day the blown call haunts him.

Joyce said Galarraga deserved an explanation and an apology, but the forgiveness came from the pitcher.

Poor Jim Joyce. I wonder if he's thought about counseling. Not to be flip or anything . . . Actually sounds like it might be beneficial for him. :ermm:

Poor Jim Joyce. I wonder if he's thought about counseling. Not to be flip or anything . . . Actually sounds like it might be beneficial for him. :ermm:

Maybe... but I have to say I have a lot of respect for Joyce...for coming out and admitting his feelings and not acting like a primadonna

Umpire Jim Joyce remains haunted by blown call that cost Detroit Tigers' Armando Galaragga perfect game - ESPN

LOS ANGELES -- Umpire Jim Joyce is still bothered by his blown call that cost the Detroit Tigers' Armando Galarraga a perfect game in June.

Joyce joined Galarraga as presenters at the ESPY Awards on Wednesday night. They shook hands onstage before announcing their category.

Joyce said backstage that he thinks about the incident every day and that the first couple of games he worked after the one on June 2 were very difficult.

He said that to this day the blown call haunts him.

Joyce said Galarraga deserved an explanation and an apology, but the forgiveness came from the pitcher.

How many of us find our failures to be so public and agonizing? Oh, I know doctors and lawyers make mistakes that have catastrophic implications for many. I don't want to take this too far, but being an MLB umpire is not usually fraught with this great a potential for failure. I feel for the guy. I feel for both of them. Joyce will go down in history with Fred Snodgrass and Bill Buckner, that's for sure.

I know he'll always be a villain to some, but Jim Joyce has bounced back pretty well from baseball infamy. He's just a good dude.

Jim Joyce Uses CPR To Help Save Woman's Life: MLB Umpire Helps Diamondbacks Employee Before Game

I think he was the villain for about 14 hours until people saw his character. When he went on tv and said "I kicked the **** out of it" and cried the next day at home plate, the world knew that Jim Joyce is a quality person.

Linked in infamy to the imperfect game, it made the game memorable to the entire nation whereas it would have been completely forgotten outside of Michigan not much later.

He could have sat there defiantly arrogant like Doug Eddings after the Piezynski/Angels ALCS debacle but he chose to show that he really cares about the game and getting the calls right.

Actually, had Joyce not messed up the call, Galarraga wouldn't be known by hardly anyone outside of Detroit.  He'd be just another mediocre pitcher to throw a perfect game that no one remembered.  

It really sucks for Galarraga though.

I forget when it was, but maybe the next season, Galarraga was perfect through 5 or 6 innings.

• Like 1