FloridaTigers

Fire Laird Now.

Or atleast cut him. Something. Anything. I'm getting tired of this. Atleast Avila is young and showed potential last season. Laird has potential to maybe hit .200 this season. If we gave Willis the boot, I don't see why Laird can't go as well.

Or atleast cut him. Something. Anything. I'm getting tired of this. Atleast Avila is young and showed potential last season. Laird has potential to maybe hit .200 this season. If we gave Willis the boot, I don't see why Laird can't go as well.

His defense and handling of the pitching staff are the only thing keeping him on the roster. I get the feeling the organization feels defense at the catcher position is more important than offense, and I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong watching Laird bat pisses me off just like everyone else, but at least he's solid behind the plate. And there's really no better alternative in the minors.

Until we can find a viable replacement, we're stuck with him, unfortunately.

But that being said, I would order him to bunt whenever he came up with less than 2 out and a runner on first. It's almost guaranteed he'll hit into a DP anyway, so at least if he bunts he'll only make one out. And he's actually a pretty good bunter, so he might even get a hit out of it.

Hell, I might order him to bunt no matter who was on base. The guy has to be the worst hitter among regular players I've ever seen. He makes Mark Belanger look like Jimmie Foxx.

I have something on my mind... What is a post, and what is a thread .... I wonder?

There were no "cut Laird" threads on page one, Jon. Most definitely deserves its own topic now that the obvious guy for our pitchforks got cut already.

His defense and handling of the pitching staff are the only thing keeping him on the roster. I get the feeling the organization feels defense at the catcher position is more important than offense, and I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong watching Laird bat pisses me off just like everyone else, but at least he's solid behind the plate. And there's really no better alternative in the minors.

At what point does such hideous offensive output cancels out the good defense? Surely we'd be in better shape with an average hitter and below average defender? I'm sure he gives up more runs with his bat than he saves on his defense.

At what point does such hideous offensive output cancels out the good defense? Surely we'd be in better shape with an average hitter and below average defender? I'm sure he gives up more runs with his bat than he saves on his defense.

Actually Laird is one of better, if not the best defensive catchers in the game.

He is simply here for his defense and until Avila or someone else can supplant him, learn to love it.

The market on Catchers is downright pathetic. Which led to I-Rod and Jason Kendall getting starting contracts. Despite both of them pushing at least 90 years old.

Considering how well Schlereth is pitching in Toledo, I have to say that Brad Thomas should be the next to go. No matter how much I want Laird gone too...

Surely we'd be in better shape with an average hitter and below average defender?

Honestly, I dont think we'd be better off with a guy like Robert Fick catching rather than Laird. Laird is one of the best defensive catchers in the league. I don't know how to quantify the ability to handle a pitching staff and defense for a catcher compared to there offense. There's no denying that Laird's offensive output is horrid. Everytime he comes up I know hes gonna pop out or strike out. Sucks, but he is what he is. The real problem lies in the fact that the 7-9 as a whole are a blackhole offensively. If at least one of Inge and Everett/Santiago were producing league average offensively at their positions consistently Laird's offense wouldn't be that big an issue. Granted it would still be terrible, but at least someone in the bottom third would be picking up the slack a little.

Edited by Bonderman38

Actually Laird is one of better, if not the best defensive catchers in the game.

He is simply here for his defense and until Avila or someone else can supplant him, learn to love it.

The market on Catchers is downright pathetic. Which led to I-Rod and Jason Kendall getting starting contracts. Despite both of them pushing at least 90 years old.

Inge is one of the best defensive third baseman in the game.

Everett is one of the best defensive shortstops in the game.

And they can't hit either. We can't have 1/3rd of our lineup consist of automatic outs, but "they're fantastic defenders".

I do believe there is value in a catcher who can manage, or whose pitchers believe he's managing them optimally. I have to say though, when he came up with 2 on, 1 out to face a ground ball pitcher and then swings at the first pitch into a ground ball DP, I really had to wonder what kind of head for the game he really has. That's what it comes down to now, I'm left to value the quality of his outs.

Inge is one of the best defensive third baseman in the game.

Everett is one of the best defensive shortstops in the game.

And they can't hit either. We can't have 1/3rd of our lineup consist of automatic outs, but "they're fantastic defenders".

And who are you going to replace them with?

And to play devils advocate, we also can't field a team full of average to below average defenders and expect our pitching to carry us with no help behind them. I agree that we can't give away 9 outs every night, but we also can't give the other teams extra bases and extra at bats all the time either.

And who are you going to replace them with?

And to play devils advocate, we also can't field a team full of average to below average defenders and expect our pitching to carry us with no help behind them. I agree that we can't give away 9 outs every night, but we also can't give the other teams extra bases and extra at bats all the time either.

I'm not advocating getting rid of all three (only in a perfect world) but I'd like to see this front office make a trade. Instead of trading for Roy Oswalt when the Tigers have a pretty good rotation, make a trade for a bat, perhaps an infielder or a catcher. It doesn't have to be an All-Star, just serviceable.

Well one of these days, dd and the rest of management need to realize defense is good....but offense is just as good, without offense...you just being paid to do "one" job.

Do you think DD worries about Laird and how it's hurting his team's chances this year? Really????

Do you think DD worries about Laird and how it's hurting his team's chances this year? Really????

He should be, why resign the guy if all your going to get is defense?!

Laird is one of the best defensive catchers in the league. .

Why do people keep saying this? Do you have any numbers to back up the claim? I'm just curious.

You know your time is up when Don Kelly is pinch-hitting for you. Don frickin Kelly!