Oblong

Lidstrom to sign 1 year deal

I don't dislike you, you're just a goofball sometimes, which can become grating.

OK, I'll relax .. and you too... I'm just pissed because Hossa was a plus-1 last night. I'll get over it.

And .. I'll stop putting the crap videos on here too , if you think they're stupid ....... geesh!

they just don't make sense. :P

+1 ... I don't make sense either.

Guess I'm sort of like Carcillo at times? :classic:

Did Holland say in an interview that it was $6.5 million? I keep hearing and reading elsewhere that it is $6.2 million.

Did Holland say in an interview that it was $6.5 million? I keep hearing and reading elsewhere that it is $6.2 million.

Oh ... what I could I do with that .3$M ?

Don't feed the trolls

well, your comment deserves another (came at a very suspicious time) ... I'm not a troll. Do you think I'm a Troll?

The Red Wings need to look forward not back. I don't have any UFAs off the top of my head. But Lidstrom is not the anchor for this team anymore. Holland probably has quite a few angles he's got to consider, but get bold is my thing. Lidstrom, as good as he is, among the fans and management probably had and easy time here. 6.5M$ .. one year contract? The fact that its a one year contract has to tell you something. My thing is this .. what does he bring to the DRW at that price? and what other things could they do with that kind of money to make some changes that would make them more of a top 4 team? At this juncture my thing is this --- Lids isn't going to put them into that category.

I'm just going to leave this quote here. It is by Yzerman, about Lidstrom from this past year.

"Nicklas Lidstrom won the Stanley Cup in '02. He won the Cup in '08. I don't know how many Norris trophies he's won, but throughout that entire time, throughout the entire decade, where he's only missed a handful of games, he was the Red Wings' best player. He's one of the top defensemen on both ends of the rink. He's got really good instincts, and he's incredibly skilled. He's a really, really intelligent hockey player. Nick is your best player in training camp. He's your best player in preseason. He's your best player in the regular season. He's your best player in the playoffs. I'm not sure what else he could do."

Greatest Red Wings of all time....

Howe, Lidstrom.....

there, I said it.

Seriously, he's a better player than Yzerman was. Yzerman's an icon and that's not debatable. But in terms of a better player, Nick wins out. I put him second to Gordie all time for the Wings.

Where does Lidstrom rank among the greatest defensemen in history? He wasn't Orr's equal in speed or offense, but Orr had a short career. Maybe he wasn't Scott Steven's equal in being able to just beat the hell out of you, but that guy couldn't score. He hasn't played 50 years at his position like Bourque (yet). But in terms of dominating his era at his position, few others in history equaled Lidstrom. And he's a freaking ironman to boot at a high contact position.

Maybe this is the homer in me, but Lidstrom has a credible claim to being #1 all around defenseman of all-time, right?

He's definite top 10 all time, and has an argument for top 5. I never saw Orr play, but by all accounts, he should have a stranglehold on that #1 ranking. It is hard to compare across eras, though. The best one can do is to just be the best and most dominant player in their particular era. And, Lidstrom has done that. Given the subtle nature of his game, he's one of those players that we won't realize how good he was until he is gone.

Edited by Scottwood

Greatest Red Wings of all time....

Howe, Lidstrom.....

there, I said it.

Seriously, he's a better player than Yzerman was. Yzerman's an icon and that's not debatable. But in terms of a better player, Nick wins out. I put him second to Gordie all time for the Wings.

I'd agree with this.

I put Lidstrom #2 in a class by himself, trailing only Orr. While Orr didn't play a long time, he was as dominant a defenseman as Mario Lemieux was in his prime.

Brutal deal. Glad to see that some of the brighter Wings fans around here sort of agree. This is not good business.

However, there is no question about how dominant he was in his day and where his legacy stands amongst the greats. I think some overrate him around here in the grand scheme of things, but his name should be mentioned in any conversation about great defenseman.

Regarding this day and age and the money he got.... ridiculous.

Edited by jonjd

Brutal deal. Glad to see that some of the brighter Wings fans around here sort of agree. This is not good business.

However, there is no question about how dominant he was in his day and where his legacy stands amongst the greats. I think some overrate him around here in the grand scheme of things, but his name should be mentioned in any conversation about great defenseman.

Regarding this day and age and the money he got.... ridiculous.

He was a +20 on a team that was at around an even goal differential for almost the entire season.

He is a top 5 d-man, EASY. He is going to get top-5 pay. Especially when there aren't that many elite defensemen in the league. Who would you take over him? Doughty? Keith? Pronger? Chara? That's pretty much it..

Who is going to take his place when he is gone? Rafalski? You have to know the value of a player to his organization when talking about his cap hit. Supply and demand.

I'm sorry, but you're flat wrong here.

Edited by Shinma

6.5 million for one of the best defensemen in the NHL? Awful deal, didn't you guys hear he's old!

The fact that he signed a one year deal leads me to believe that he has at least two years left. Otherwise, why not make the deal 2 years at the same price to lessen the cap hit?

I don't follow you. If he takes, say 6.5 this year and 5.5 next year, then they just average them out, meaning the cap hit would be .5 million lower this year but .5 million higher next year.

I don't follow you. If he takes, say 6.5 this year and 5.5 next year, then they just average them out, meaning the cap hit would be .5 million lower this year but .5 million higher next year.

No, he means signing a 2 year, 6.5m deal. But that would probably be too obvious.

The fact that he signed a one year deal leads me to believe that he has at least two years left. Otherwise, why not make the deal 2 years at the same price to lessen the cap hit?

I never thought about that. That would actually be a way of cheating the system.