Oblong

Lidstrom to sign 1 year deal

Please be a Yzerman type of discount. Like $3M? It will probably be more, but... I can hope.

Please be a Yzerman type of discount. Like $3M? It will probably be more, but... I can hope.

Honestly I would be a little shocked if it wasn't this kind of discount, but either way I'd be happy that Nick's staying at least one more year.

With the addition of Hudler, I think this makes the Wings the favorites next year.

Nick should sign for the minimum and then the Wings should give him a "front office" job after he retires where he collects a paycheck from Sweden.

I'm glad he's back for another year. Fingers crossed for a discount so the Wings can sign a good second line forward this off season.

Holland confirms... $6.5 million.

haha. How bad did they want THAT deal:disappnt:?

How much does he help the Wings Next Year? As much as I understand what he's done ... his persona is wearing off me.

Edited by skyguy52

The Red Wings with #5 >>>>>>>>>>>>> (i can't put enough in here) The Red Wings without #5

Really?

Really?

Yes, really.

Who is gonna fill that void? Kronwall? Kindl? Brendan Smith? I don't think so.

There are no serious free agents available this off season anyway.

By the way, the salary cap will be going up 2-3 million this year.

The Red Wings need to look forward not back. I don't have any UFAs off the top of my head. But Lidstrom is not the anchor for this team anymore. Holland probably has quite a few angles he's got to consider, but get bold is my thing. Lidstrom, as good as he is, among the fans and management probably had and easy time here. 6.5M$ .. one year contract? The fact that its a one year contract has to tell you something. My thing is this .. what does he bring to the DRW at that price? and what other things could they do with that kind of money to make some changes that would make them more of a top 4 team? At this juncture my thing is this --- Lids isn't going to put them into that category.

Even 9.5M over two would have made more sense to me. What could they done with the other dough?

The question that keeps coming up is how long is Lids going to stay in the top 6? He says he's fine. Others think not. Well, I'm thinking with the not.

The Red Wings need to look forward not back. I don't have any UFAs off the top of my head. But Lidstrom is not the anchor for this team anymore. Holland probably has quite a few angles he's got to consider, but get bold is my thing. Lidstrom, as good as he is, among the fans and management probably had and easy time here. 6.5M$ .. one year contract? The fact that its a one year contract has to tell you something. My thing is this .. what does he bring to the DRW at that price? and what other things could they do with that kind of money to make some changes that would make them more of a top 4 team? At this juncture my thing is this --- Lids isn't going to put them into that category.

You mean the guy who had the second best +/- for the Wings last year (+22 to Rafalski's +23), most points by any D-man on the Wings last year, third on the team in points overall, 1 of three players to play every game for the Wings? The guy who was eighth in points for D-men in the entire NHL, 7th among defensemen in +/- for the entire NHL? The guy who averaged 25 minutes a game on the first unit of the powerplay, penalty kill, and against each teams' top lines?

Ya, he's definitely not the problem for the Wings. He had a slow start, but he was one of the best defensemen in the league after that. He still does a good job of shutting down other players, and still can contribute.

It is too much, but whatever. He's the best they have, although he declined a bit last year.

Who would you rather have...Lidstrom for 1/6.5, or Brian Campbell for 6/7.1?

The guy who was eighth in points for D-men in the entire NHL, 7th among defensemen in +/- for the entire NHL? The guy who averaged 25 minutes a game on the first unit of the powerplay, penalty kill, and against each teams' top lines?

Oblong .. get a grip on yourself. I'm not saying he's not any good. He's not top 6 anymore ... and suggesting he may not even be top 10 anymore. And at that price (about 12% of their total cap) what WILL he bring to the DRW to get them into the CONFERENCE FINALS next year and beyond.

I mean how much is this guy worth? Really?

Oblong .. get a grip on yourself. I'm not saying he's not any good. He's not top 6 anymore ... and suggesting he may not even be top 10 anymore. And at that price (about 12% of their total cap) what WILL he bring to the DRW to get them into the CONFERENCE FINALS next year and beyond.

I mean how much is this guy worth? Really?

I don't know, why don't you post a few completely off the wall youtube videos, maybe that'll help determine his worth.

There's nobody on the UFA list that I'd take over Lidstrom this year either. Might as well have him for another year; 2011 looks better for d-men.

Von: I think those videos are pretty good., Don't you? Don't listen to them, if you don't like. And I know you don't like me ..lol ... But that's OK ... Just put me into your HATE category, OK? LoL.