sportz4life

2010 Trade Deadline Possibilities

From a baseball perspective, the smart thing to do is take your lumps and find out some things about the kids (Sizemore, Worth, Larish...Streiby should be up too) and focus on rebuilding over the winter.

From a marketing perspective, you have to make a move to show you're serious about contending or at least competing in August and September or people will abandon the team. Making another run at the Central crown that falls a bit short may not improve season ticket sales for next year a whole bunch, but falling apart and then trying to convince the fan base that your serious might do a lot of harm.

I think trying to figure out the Tigers budget going forward is a fool's errand...no one would have thought they would willingly spend as much as they have...no one knows when Illitch will suddenly decide that enough is indeed enough. He's done the let's spend/no, let's be frugal bit enough that getting a read on him is very difficult.

From Jason Stark's Twitter...

Now hearing #Dodgers not just focused on Podsednik. Appear to have interest in Ryan Raburn of #Tigers. #trades"

Um...OK...Sure...

From Jason Stark's Twitter...

Um...OK...Sure...

DD: "Okay guys, straight faces. We seem to have fallen into something here... Let's not blow it."

Action on Ted Lilly has clearly picked up today w/ #Dodgers #Twins #Tigers #Phillies. If u want him to pitch Sun, can't wait til Sat #trades

jaysonst

Huh. Still think they stand pat though.

I'll take Jhonny Peralta on the cheap, which I am sure is exactly how he'll come.

Uh oh, after years of mockingly pronouncing his name as "Ji-honny" I don't think I could stop.

According to Jason Beck's Twitter the Tigers are about to make an announcement

Well Austin Jackson isn't in the lineup tonight, so that makes sense...

MLB Network just said a "big trade just went down involving the Tigers." Then went to commercial.

MLB Network just said a "big trade just went down involving the Tigers." Then went to commercial.

So thats their definition of big, huh? I guess there's not much to be excited about this season at the deadline...

Really odd that they DFA'd Ramirez. I mean yeah he's sucked all year, but he's still got talent, Mark still had him as a top 10 prospect.

I'm pretty meh about this trade otherwise.

Really odd that they DFA'd Ramirez. I mean yeah he's sucked all year, but he's still got talent, Mark still had him as a top 10 prospect.

I'm pretty meh about this trade otherwise.

Don't like this trade and really don't like that they DFA'd Wilkin.

Maybe they know Wilkin is going somewhere else anyway?

Maybe they know Wilkin is going somewhere else anyway?

Possibly, but I didn't really want to trade him anyways. He can't be worth much given his production this year and I still like his potential for the Tigers.

From a baseball perspective, the smart thing to do is take your lumps and find out some things about the kids (Sizemore, Worth, Larish...Streiby should be up too) and focus on rebuilding over the winter.

From a marketing perspective, you have to make a move to show you're serious about contending or at least competing in August and September or people will abandon the team. Making another run at the Central crown that falls a bit short may not improve season ticket sales for next year a whole bunch, but falling apart and then trying to convince the fan base that your serious might do a lot of harm.

I think trying to figure out the Tigers budget going forward is a fool's errand...no one would have thought they would willingly spend as much as they have...no one knows when Illitch will suddenly decide that enough is indeed enough. He's done the let's spend/no, let's be frugal bit enough that getting a read on him is very difficult.

+1

+1

+1

And then they go and get Peralta. Leyland hates Larish. Wasn't Soto supposed to have some decent upside? Why couldn't they have traded Wilkin for Peralta, since he's DFA anyways?