purplewindex

Las Vegas - Must Do & See

Hey everyone!

To celebrate my MSW graduation properly, a bunch of us are going to Las Vegas for the first time. Since we've never been before, we have absolutely no idea what to do or see, besides drink ourselves silly and lay by the pool. I have done some research online but I wanted to know what you all thought was the "must see", "must do" and "must eat" while there.

We already have tickets to see the Beatles LOVE show and Lewis Black, but other than that, we have nothing planned. We'll be there this Thursday until Wednesday. :happy:

I know there are a couple of MTS posters who live in/near Vegas.

I've always wanted to go there, yet another place on my list. When my brother went about 5 or 6 years ago, he said that the hotel he stayed in provided more entertainment than most cities.:happy:

go up to the top of the stratosphere hotel and look out over the observation deck. they also have rides up there if you want an extra thrill.

play blackjack at the bellagio - watch the water show. the japanese-fusion style restaurant inside called "yellowtail" is excellent.

go see an act or two (they're free) at circus circus. it's mainly for kids, but it's still fun.

also fun and cheesey is the light show on fremont street in the "old" part of vegas. they also have street musicians up there and lots of touristy gift shops.

i didn't get to do half the stuff i really wanted to do in vegas when i was there because i was doing the above (not all of it my idea, btw).

Suggested items for the trip:

2 bags of Grass

75 pellets of mescaline

5 sheets of high-powered blotter acid

1 salt shaker half full of cocaine

1 whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, and laughers

1 quart of tequila

1 case of Budweiser

1 pint of raw ether

2 dozen amyls

1 pair of golf shoes

1 lawyer/advisor

2 bags of Grass

75 pellets of mescaline

1 quart of tequila

1 case of Budweiser

1 pint of raw ether

2 dozen amyls

1 pair of golf shoes

1 lawyer/advisor

LOL now I get it. A few days without any responsibilities and my brain turns to mush. Great movie.

Oh, and by the way...

CONGRATS on your MSW!!!!

Thank you! So glad it's finally over, passed the licensing exam, and found a real therapy job. Whew. :happy:

Second sub rosa on the Fremont Street experience. Great free entertainment.

For high end restaurants, we like Hugo's Cellar at the 4 Queens downtown. Less high end but good food and location is Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris Hotel.

6 days is waaay too much time if you're a heavy gambler. My wife and I gamble about 14 yours a day when we're there, so 3 days is max for us.

Wow. Where to begin. BRING WATER. The lack of humidity here is no joke and you wont feel yourself sweat. This weekend will start off chilly (for us) in the high 70's and windy but its going to get back to normal next week.

If you've never been to Las Vegas before, #1 on the list is bring some comfy shoes, a camera and WALK THE STRIP. There is a CAT bus that runs up and down the strip 24 hours a day if you get tired, and for $7 (i think) you can get an all day pass. During this, you can see the Bellagio fountains (mentioned above) as well as the new Treasure Island show. They replaced the Pirate ship fight with something else, I heard its not bad, and its free as well, outside the TI at night. I think the Volcano show is under construction at the Mirage exterior, but if its up thats free too. You're going there anyway for "LOVE" so its worth a shot.

Lousluggage's brother is right. Vegas hotels don't want you to leave where you're there, so they try to have everything you could want, from restaurants to dancing/clubs and entertainment. Do you know what hotel you are staying at?

I agree with the Freemont Street Experience, but you have to do it at night. The laser light canopy is set the Queen music and free nightly concerts starting this weekend through the first week of June.

Other things:

Ethel M Chocolate Factory Tour

Lion Habitat at MGM Grand

My girlfriend and I made it a point to go see every show in Las Vegas, and we were at 100% at one point. A few new shows have come out that I have not seen yet, Love being one of them but I hear enough positive things from it that I don't have a problem with people recommending it. Elvis is a brand spanking new Cirque show at the City Center, I havent had a chance to catch it yet. There are about 7 or 8 Cirque de Soleil shows in Las Vegas so if you like them, you're in for a treat.

Shinma's top 5 shows of Las Vegas:

1. Mystere - Treasure Island. Far and away the best show Ive ever seen, and I've seen it about 6-7 times now. Highly recommended.
  2. Penn & Teller - Rio. I have seen them 4 times, and each show is completely different, minus a couple staples for them. They aren't for everyone and you probably know already if they are for you.
  3. Zumanity - NY, NY Hotel. Sexy, sensual, erotic Cirque de soliel show. A GREAT "couples night out" show.
  4. Blue Man Group - Venetian. Funny, crazy entertaining show. A real treat.
  5. Phantom of the Opera - Venetian. A big time, Vegas "over-the-top" version of the Phantom story we've all seen before.

Ok, I think thats enough of a information overload for you... =)

I'm not going to recommend any restaurants for you, because it seems there is an amazing one if every hotel. You WILL find something you like to eat here, I guarantee it.

Edited by Shinma

I'd suggest:

- Avoid the all-you-can-eat buffets unless you're really on a tight budget. Any cost savings are offset by the time you spend in line, in my opinion. That and the fact that seeing guys with 100 shrimp stacked high on their plates puts me off a bit, even if I am downing lots of food myself

- If you have limited time to devote to the Grand Canyon, a tour flight that flies from Vegas to the rim and back on a plane with giant windows is an alternative. I think we paid around $200 per person for a flight that lasts around 90 minutes, and I thought it was worth it. If you do want to travel by car to the Grand Canyon, there are some great hiking/trail runs once there if you're into that.

- If you happen to be there on a busy sports day, you may want to check out one of the sports books. I love them on a Saturday or Sunday in the fall because of all the football being watched (and to a lesser extent playoff baseball), with the gamblers and tourists from Middle America alike ensuring a decent audience in front of each game

Madame Tussauds outside the Venitian - You can meet some interesting people there.

n1267576715_64751_8169.jpg

In the 6 years I lived in Phoenix I was in Vegas close to 20 times and still haven't seen everything I wanted to. Just go full bore and plan on sleeping when you get home.

Some people get island fever, I get Vegas fever, and I don't even gamble.

WOW! Shinma, thank you! We're staying at the MGM Grand. I've heard some nice things about it, so we're really excited! I think we're most worried about the food because we don't want to spend all of our money eating. I'm not much of a gambler and neither is the boy, we're mainly looking to just let loose and have fun in a city we hear is a great time!

Anyone recommend some good clubs/bars that won't break the bank? We're looking for a cost-effective but still AMAZINGLY fun vacation. :happy:

You're going to LOVE the LOVE show. I've seen it twice, once up close and once up high, all the seats are great.

MGM huh. Well, I'll be playing in the afternoon Fri, Sat and Sun. right across the street at the Nine Fine Irishmen pub in NYNY. And it's free!! And, that's what it's worth.:paranoid::ponder::grin: 2 to 6 Friday and Sunday, noon to 4 on Sat.

/shameless plug

EDIT: I expect to see the WTF Griili shirt.

Edited by VegasTiger

I echo a lot of sentiments here..But here are mine..

1. I honestly believe the most important thing for you to do is bring comfy shoes..Without knowing it, you will walk miles upon miles...VERY IMPORTANT...

2. I have seen ALOT of shows there...My favorite, BY FAR, was "O"...It is at the Bellagio.. I have seen all of the ones that Shinma posted, EXCEPT Mystere which I hear is great...And none of them compare to " O "........

On a side note..If you do not have an "open" mind, DO NOT see Zumanity...A Lot of homosexual things in it...So if you dont feel comfortable with that, dont see it...But yeah, it is a good show..

3. Take advantage of Free stuff...That is a LONG time to stay in Vegas imo...The dualing Piano's @ The Bar at Times Square in NY-NY, The fountain show and moving statues @ Ceasers...There are more here 25 Best Free Things in Las Vegas, Las Vegas Free Entertainment - Events

4. As far as where to eat, there are so many GREAT places its really hard to pick one...

Also, this is a great site here

Cheapo Vegas

2 bags of Grass

75 pellets of mescaline

1 quart of tequila

1 case of Budweiser

1 pint of raw ether

2 dozen amyls

1 pair of golf shoes

1 lawyer/advisor

Also... make sure not to get pulled over by any cops that resemble Gary Busey on the way out of town

This is not a buffet tip but a cheap food tip...

If your funds are getting low, head up to Slots-A-Fun (next to Circus-Circus)

where they serve a foot-long, 1/2-pound hot dog for 99 cents 24-hours-a-day every day.

Pile on the fixin's and you've got a meal for two.

2197633887_d918773443.jpg

Thanks everyone! We leave in the morning and don't come back until next Wednesday! Had to leave the WTF Grilli shirt at home though! :happy: