Sign in to follow this  
Todd

Yzerman to be named the Tampa GM

According to Maury of biz of baseball's tweet

"Tampa Bay will announce at 3pm Steve Yzerman as the new GM of the hockey club. Many believe he will become the highest paid GM in league"

wow.... a tad bittersweet but there's no room for him here. Great to see him achieve what he wants again.

For the first time since Ronald Reagan's first term in office, Steve Yzerman is not a Red Wing. Bittersweet is right...

Not surprising, now I wonder if in the future when Holland is leaving, will Y be the first to call?

Not surprising, now I wonder if in the future when Holland is leaving, will Y be the first to call?

I think Steve understood that either Kenny's not going anywhere soon, or if he does, that Jim Nill is next in line. If he thought there was any chance he could be GM here in 5 years he'd have stayed. But at the same time maybe he wants to learn elsewhere and then come back? But again, maybe he wants to go do his own thing and not just continue on with a good system that's arleady here. Really hard to tell.

This is good news in the sense that it shows that Ilitch and Jimmy D, whatever his role now is, love their legends but are not too sentimental to let emotion get in the way of common sense. It'd be downright foolish to sweep Holland or Nill out to make way for Yzerman.

Depends on how he does in Tampa.

Yeah he just has to hope it doesn't in up like Gretzky's coaching career in PHX.

I think this good for Steve, he can make mistakes and learn in Tampa without hurting how hes viewed in Detroit

I thought he turned them down?

Oh well.

At least I have a team in the East to root for now.

Great, I hope he does well. It was the right move for Yzerman and the right move (or non-move) for the Wings.

Having been an apprentice to the best for a few years and having done a solid job with Team Canada, indications are that Yzerman will be at least a good GM. Far too early to know whether he'll be a great GM.

This is great for Yzerman, an offer he really couldn't have passed up. I think he'll probably be a pretty good GM, but if he isn't, I'm glad it will be with some team other than the Red Wings so that his legacy isn't tarnished like Alan Trammell's was.

It really is a nice opportunity for an incoming GM. Even with the past couple horrid seasons this franchise isn't that far removed from winning the cup. Stamkos & Hedman are two great young pieces to build around and the decisions around St. Louis & Lecavalier give him many options.

I think he'll do very well

What can ya do if you are the Wings. Ken Holland is the best GM in sports. Jim Nill would probably be one of the better GMs in the NHL and I don't know how the Wings have held on to him for this long.

I don't find it bittersweet because at least he won't be playing for the Lightning and wearing their jersey. He's got a lot of really good young talent there that probably lacks leadership and a rock solid direction - and Stevie's the perfect guy to find that mix. He'll be faced with letting go of a couple of very popular, but aging players (like Martin St. Louis), but I am sure he learned a ton from Ken Holland and Jim Nill. Hopefully not TOO much.

Good luck Stevie - you'll always be a Red Wing, no matter what.

This will be a pleasant surprise down here. The newspaper has been reporting his name for a few weeks, but they were pretty pessimistic that he would take it. Hopefully he will find success here.