irishmick79

The Max Scherzer Discussion Thread....

Figured he deserved his own thread before the game thread goes bye-bye.

One thing I noticed with the fangraphs pitchFX stuff, is that his fastball appears to be breaking horziontally a bit more on the average - in 2008, the average break was -6.6 on the x-axis, in 2009 it was -5.5, and so far over 653 pitches it's been -7.1. Maybe with the drop in velocity, he's getting some more breaking action on his fastball that he hasn't yet figured out how to control.

If Gallaraga pitches well Sunday Id consider giving him a couple more starts and let Max get some time in Toledo to figure out whats wrong. Ride Gallargas hot streak then switch them back in a few weeks when he reverts back to form.

I am starting to think that Scherzer should go down when Raburn comes back up instead of Gaga. Hopefully he could get his stuff together and some confidence taking a few turns through the rotation in Toledo.

Scherzer sounds fairly close to the German equivalent to ****. Fitting.

One silver lining is I got to see the longest HR ever hit at Comerica Park last night. I'll never forget it. Think Bobby Abreu in the 2005 HR Derby.

One silver lining is I got to see the longest HR ever hit at Comerica Park last night. I'll never forget it. Think Bobby Abreu in the 2005 HR Derby.

That was mighty impressive. I'm not sure I can fault Ortiz for delaying his trot so that he could track his shot.

Scherzer seemed more effective later in the game when he smoothed out his delivery, slowing and sinking his fastball.

I agree, if Galarraga proves to be effective Sunday, Scherzer may skip a start or two to "work it out", either in the bully or Toledo.

That was mighty impressive. I'm not sure I can fault Ortiz for delaying his trot so that he could track his shot.

Not at all. If you hit it that far you've earned the right to admire it. I still can't believe he cleared that wall.

:dead:Did you know his eyes are different colors?

For real ?

I dated a woman once w/ eyes that were different colours....it was a chore to look into her eyes and to let on that it wasn't a distraction.

Edited by TomBrookens

Scherzer seemed more effective later in the game when he smoothed out his delivery, slowing and sinking his fastball.

I agree, if Galarraga proves to be effective Sunday, Scherzer may skip a start or two to "work it out", either in the bully or Toledo.

From my vantage point, the only reason he looked good in the later innings is because the Red Sox weren't really trying to do anything but swing for the fences.

From my vantage point, the only reason he looked good in the later innings is because the Red Sox weren't really trying to do anything but swing for the fences.

located better, better use of his changeup..Every hitter is trying to do damage in every at bat..no matter the score or inning.

My guess is when you hit the ball as far as everyone says, Ortiz is not the only one watching it. In fact, if there wasn't 20 pro photographers, 300 in the stands and lots of videos everywhere --- I don't think anyone would even know if Ortiz watched. I think the same when Cabrera uncorks one... the only reason I know he watches it is all the documentation

Jackson ran back a few steps then stopped. I yelled out "Oh my God! He cleared the wall!" and instinctively clapped for what I just saw.

It was above Cochrane's name, I believe.

As soon as the ball was halfway up in the air the stadium just gasped.

For real ?

I dated a woman once w/ eyes that were different colours....it was a chore to look into her eyes and to let on that it wasn't a distraction.

I did, too. It was hard on my eyes when we kissed because I'd keep my eyes open trying to see those eyes up close. I was afarid my eyes would permanently cross, thereby making me the human equivalent of Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion(Google it).

Like I said last night and as Oblong alluded to here: Max Schiza. Send him down to Toledo until he improves his control

Do you actually think this is how skilled major leaguers are treated..I'm curious. Players aren't discarded like a bad meal. Players, especially talented young ones, often have issues, they need to be resolved, discarding them to Toledo isn't how they are repaired.

It amazes me so many people think this solves athletes issues.

You're a college student, ever go to the tutor..

There shouldn't be any talk of Scherzer going anywhere until he goes to the bullpen mound twice between starts and works hard. The schedule hasn't allowed for that yet, but it will this turn through.

He's sucked ever since he put on a Tiger uniform... any talk of tweaking his delivery is just window dressing and fluff.

Maybe he has "anxiety".

People were talking about him last night in the stands with venom I haen't heard since Jason Grilli.

Do you actually think this is how skilled major leaguers are treated..I'm curious. Players aren't discarded like a bad meal. Players, especially talented young ones, often have issues, they need to be resolved, discarding them to Toledo isn't how they are repaired.

It amazes me so many people think this solves athletes issues.

You're a college student, ever go to the tutor..

It's obvious Scherzer's "tutoring" isn't working at this level.

If Scherzer is having velocity and control problems, and has been given multiple starts, what would be the next logical move? He has an option. Send him down to Toledo to work on any problems, be it velocity or control without hurting the Tigers chances when he starts. He isn't being discarded at all. Discarding was sending Willis to Lakeland for a year and being forgotten about.

It's been like 3 months since he started playing games but now they found it.... just needs another session. Yep. I believe them. Who found it? Kevin Rand?

Sherzer is garbage.

It's been like 3 months since he started playing games but now they found it.... just needs another session. Yep. I believe them. Who found it? Kevin Rand?

Sherzer is garbage.

I HOPE that he isn't injured or needs assistance form Kevin Rand. It'd be an even BIGGER setback :hurt: