blueadams

Is there ANYONE you would trade Miggy or Verlander for!?

I would trade Miguel Cabrera for Evan Longoria. I'm pretty confident that that would be a great deal. Not only would the Tigers save like 60 million dollars, you get a hitter with near equal talent, but also a fabulous defender at 3B, and a guy with the most team-friendly contract in baseball.

I would trade Justin Verlander for Zach Greinke. JV is very good. Greinke is better.

I would trade Miguel Cabrera for Evan Longoria. I'm pretty confident that that would be a great deal. Not only would the Tigers save like 60 million dollars, you get a hitter with near equal talent, but also a fabulous defender at 3B, and a guy with the most team-friendly contract in baseball.

I would trade Justin Verlander for Zach Greinke. JV is very good. Greinke is better.

+1 on both...

You have to think of it like this, its fairly easy to get a very good offensive first baseman, its harder to get a third baseman who is a plus offensive and defensive player. The benefit of Longoria over Inge would be (most likely) significantly higher than the difference in skill between Cabrera and his replacement at 1B (assuming we could find a league average replacement). Longoria and Hanley Ramirez are probably the only two players I would trade Cabrera for...

Why? Heyward's strength is as a hitter, not a fielder. You don't trade realized potential for the same potential.

The only reason I'd trade Miggy for Hanley Ramirez or Evan Longoria is because they are both super hitters (although Longoria is not in Miggy's class), but both of them play critical defensive positions very well.

Pretty much dead on, bro. Also agreed on Hernandez for Cabrera. In fact, I said the same thing in my first post- I wouldn't trade Cabrera for *any* pitcher, including Linecum or Hernandez. Also, I had the big "perhaps" in front of Kemp.. I've generally thought of him as the best young CF out there. No doubt though, he's not a big positive on D.

Rob

+1 on both...

You have to think of it like this, its fairly easy to get a very good offensive first baseman, its harder to get a third baseman who is a plus offensive and defensive player. The benefit of Longoria over Inge would be (most likely) significantly higher than the difference in skill between Cabrera and his replacement at 1B (assuming we could find a league average replacement). Longoria and Hanley Ramirez are probably the only two players I would trade Cabrera for...

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

You trade for relatively safe potential (like a Smoak/Andrus deal) because of the money you would save over the next 3-4 years. That money could be spent on filling holes with quality. And if Smoak himself is ready by next year to be 75% of Cabrera, you have a better team potentially.

I would do that deal if we are out of contention by July, of course Texas would not.

The wisdom of this depends largely on whether the deal you have with Miggy/JV are value deals or not. If they are not overpaid, there's no natural need to trade them to save money, at least not from a strategy standpoint.

I generally believe in a balanced lineup rather than one that's tilted towards one/two big performers; that having been said, however, the Tigers are proving in 2010 what was proven in 2009 -- you can be competitive with an unbalanced lineup.

Pretty much dead on, bro. Also agreed on Hernandez for Cabrera. In fact, I said the same thing in my first post- I wouldn't trade Cabrera for *any* pitcher, including Linecum or Hernandez. Also, I had the big "perhaps" in front of Kemp.. I've generally thought of him as the best young CF out there. No doubt though, he's not a big positive on D.

Rob

FWIW, I thought Kemp was supposed to be a plus fielder -- until I saw the numbers. Pretty consistently bleh.

Could you imagine what this would do to the Tigers' marketing department? The best pitcher and position players gone in a trade that made Inge extraneous!

This is easily blue's best thread. Although that isn't saying much...

I still don't think I'd trade either of them, despite the fact that there have been many good arguments to do so.

Could you imagine what this would do to the Tigers' marketing department? The best pitcher and position players gone in a trade that made Inge extraneous!

There are teenage girls in Birmingham who would kill themselves if it happened.

JV for Jon Lester. I was going to say Strasburg too, but he hasn't even pitched in MLB yet so who knows what you are going to get there yet.

Nobody is worth trading Cabrera for, not even Pujols. Cabrera has pretty much the same skill set as Pujols and is younger and I think since he stopped drinking and whatever else was bothering him last year, he will easily put up Pujols numbers this year and for the next several years. His defense is also getting better and better at 1B for only playing at that position for a couple of years.

Can someone who said they wouldn't trade JV at all explain why they'd be against swapping him for Lincecum?

Lincecum's total loss of fastball velocity scares me. Not in the sense that he won't be effective, because obviously he still is, but in the sense that I think the innings are catching up to him faster than they are to Verlander. Tim's first pitch in MLB was 99 mph. His average fastball now is just over 90, and he can't hit 95 anymore. It's not that he's "learning to pitch" or whatnot. He's said that he doesn't know where the velocity went. I think Lincecum is going to end up like Pedro: several absolutely dominant years followed by nickel and dime type injuries and the loss of the ability to throw 110 pitches. I think Verlander's going to throw 200+ innings every season until he's 35.

Verlander for Felix? Maybe. But they're pretty similar guys overall, and I think Felix struggles with the same stuff that Justin does: occasional wildness, elevated pitch counts. Greinke's a small cut above, but I'm not sure I'd do that deal either.

I think Verlander is one guy who can throw 120 pitches every time out and it's no big deal to him. That's huge. But then I'm so biased in favor of him that it's hard for me to step back and look at the bigger picture.

Cabrera? Probably Hanley or Longoria. Maybe Mauer or Pujols. That's it.

But really I'd rather watch these two guys play the prime of their careers in Detroit and let the other guys do what they do elsewhere. Cabrera and especially Verlander are Tigers in my mind and rather than trade the faces of the franchise for two players who might be just a hair better than them. It's not like Granderson where he's got holes in his game. These two guys are going to be in MVP and Cy Young conversations for their entire Tiger careers. Cabrera's most likely going to the Hall of Fame. Verlander's got a ways to go but he might, too. Regardless, by the end of his contract he'll be the best pitcher in Detroit history.

Edited by Eric Cioe

I was thinking Longoria or Ramirez for Cabrera (there's NOONE else I would consider for him), and maybe Greinke or Strasbourg for JV... But I think this is the most accurate way that I feel, and the most correct post on here concerning this subject:

...But really I'd rather watch these two guys play the prime of their careers in Detroit and let the other guys do what they do elsewhere. Cabrera and especially Verlander are Tigers in my mind and rather than trade the faces of the franchise for two players who might be just a hair better than them... two guys are going to be in MVP and Cy Young conversations for their entire Tiger careers. Cabrera's most likely going to the Hall of Fame. Verlander's got a ways to go but he might, too. Regardless, by the end of his contract he'll be the best pitcher in Detroit history.

Lincecum's total loss of fastball velocity scares me. Not in the sense that he won't be effective, because obviously he still is, but in the sense that I think the innings are catching up to him faster than they are to Verlander. Tim's first pitch in MLB was 99 mph. His average fastball now is just over 90, and he can't hit 95 anymore. It's not that he's "learning to pitch" or whatnot. He's said that he doesn't know where the velocity went. I think Lincecum is going to end up like Pedro: several absolutely dominant years followed by nickel and dime type injuries and the loss of the ability to throw 110 pitches. I think Verlander's going to throw 200+ innings every season until he's 35.

Verlander for Felix? Maybe. But they're pretty similar guys overall, and I think Felix struggles with the same stuff that Justin does: occasional wildness, elevated pitch counts. Greinke's a small cut above, but I'm not sure I'd do that deal either.

I think Verlander is one guy who can throw 120 pitches every time out and it's no big deal to him. That's huge. But then I'm so biased in favor of him that it's hard for me to step back and look at the bigger picture.

Cabrera? Probably Hanley or Longoria. Maybe Mauer or Pujols. That's it.

But really I'd rather watch these two guys play the prime of their careers in Detroit and let the other guys do what they do elsewhere. Cabrera and especially Verlander are Tigers in my mind and rather than trade the faces of the franchise for two players who might be just a hair better than them. It's not like Granderson where he's got holes in his game. These two guys are going to be in MVP and Cy Young conversations for their entire Tiger careers. Cabrera's most likely going to the Hall of Fame. Verlander's got a ways to go but he might, too. Regardless, by the end of his contract he'll be the best pitcher in Detroit history.

Well said, Eric, and I couldn't agree more. There are a few players who may be better and be just as young, but why bother?

Verlander & Cabrera give us a young dominant horse in the rotation, and one of the best hitters in baseball. I've been a huge fan of both of them for a long time (I loved Miggy before we even traded for him), so I don't want to see either of them moved. I'm going to enjoy every game they play in a Tiger's uni. JV could go on to be the greatest pitcher in Tiger history, and Miggy might be right there with Cobb in the discussion by the time they retire.

Wow, I wasn't aware of Lincecum's velocity drop. I always feel so much smarter after reading

through these threads. Wish I could stay smart, but ....

I'm wondering how Valenti is going to explain the seasons first 6 weeks..he is O for every baseball premise he has ever proferred. Dombrowski, Granderson, Cabrera..you name it.

"This will go down as Dave Dombrowski's greatest trade ever." - shortly after the Renteria deal.

A while back he was raving about how great Verlander is. Of course he had to pepper it all with "The best since Jack Morris and it's pretty sad that the organization had to wait that long for a great pitcher." He didn't just say it once either.

He and Dery can go piss up a rope. It's a crime that the flagship station has two guys like that on the air. I don't expect the personalities to be cheerleaders but these guys are just downright negative and it's not hard to hear the hatred and disrespect they have for the team/franchise/organization.

I agree with almost all of this. Personally, I would have liked to see Granderson stay in Detroit. But theoretical trade talk aside, I'd love to have our stars stick around a long time.

The tough part will come, of course, when these very long term contracts are up, and these guys are 32-33, and they'll want another huge contract. At that point, if you're a smart GM, you gotta let the Yankees sign them.

I won't enjoy it though. :(

Rob

"This will go down as Dave Dombrowski's greatest trade ever." - shortly after the Renteria deal.

A while back he was raving about how great Verlander is. Of course he had to pepper it all with "The best since Jack Morris and it's pretty sad that the organization had to wait that long for a great pitcher." He didn't just say it once either.

He and Dery can go piss up a rope. It's a crime that the flagship station has two guys like that on the air. I don't expect the personalities to be cheerleaders but these guys are just downright negative and it's not hard to hear the hatred and disrespect they have for the team/franchise/organization.

The one thing I haven't missed being away from home for a couple years is Detroit Radio. I used to travel and wonder why the radio band everywhere I went was such a wasteland compared to home. Today, any number of places I go, the radio is better, both sports/information and music/entertainment. Just not been a good recent era for Detroit radio, esp sports.