IdahoBert

Ernie Harwell photos

If you have any you'd like to share, post them here. Here's a few I found.

ernie-harwell-years-baseball-320025.jpg

mlb_i_eharwell1_300.jpg

Ernie Harwell, seen here with Henry Aaron in April 1974.

erney-harwell-2.jpg

September 1961: George Kell shares the WWJ radio booth at Tiger Stadium with Ernie Harwell.

That's the legendary Howard Stitzel wearing the headphones in the back. Thanks guyicognito.

ernie-harwell-1.jpg

mlb_g_harwell02_576.jpg

Ernie Harwell waves to the crowd during the seventh-inning stretch of the Tigers' game

against the Yankees on Sept. 22, 2002. It was the Hall of Fame broadcaster's final home game.

mlb_elharwell_300.jpg

Lulu and Ernie Harwell at their home in Novi, Mich.

89245250.jpg

Detroit Tigers announcer Ernie Harwell. Detroit, MI 6/16/1999

20100204221621_tdndc5-5ojgt75se6h2y.jpg

Ernie Harwell, left, and George Kell, the Tigers' broadcast team, in the booth April 4, 1963

Just the one i posted in the memories thread...

21j2g7t.jpg

Ernie at his first broadcasting job in 1940.

Just the one i posted in the memories thread...

21j2g7t.jpg

Ernie at his first broadcasting job in 1940.

That is so cool I have never seen Ernie looking that young. Cub reporter Jimmy Olson look for sure.

That is so cool I have never seen Ernie looking that young. Cub reporter Jimmy Olson look for sure.

Here's an even younger one that I found, from his granddaughter's website:

grandpa+-+very+young.jpg

12315_439839969477_532944477_5673492_1157380_n.jpg

I'll forever be grateful that I was able to grow up in Michigan listening to Ernie do Tigers games on the radio (along with Paul Carey).

I'm also one of the many Michiganders who was fortunate enough to have at least one encounter with Ernie. When he did a tour to promote Tuned To Baseball in 1985, I was able to meet him at a stop at the Hampton Square Mall in Essexville. The book he signed is one of the prized pieces in my collection of Tigers stuff.

Edited by TigersFan81371

i saw this posted on another forum and thought it was a great portrait of detroit and a detroiter

20100204005027_harwellstadium.jpg

a couple of other really good ones:

goodbye

mlb_g_harwell02_576.jpg

at his "office"

ernieharwell.jpg

waterfallguy59-albums-ernie-harwell-paul-carey-picture33-ernie-paul-thurs-8-11-1994.jpg

This was taken on Thursday August 11, 1994 - the day before the strike.

Ernie & Paul were showing people the model for the new Comerica Park;

they were seated next to the Tiger Plaza gift shop under the right field

seats.

Both Men very gracious and surprised to have their picture taken.

RIP - May God Bless Ernie Harwell and his family.

Just wanted to say, I have no pictures to post of Ernie, but this is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite threads on MTS. Great idea Bert.

i saw this posted on another forum and thought it was a great portrait of detroit and a detroiter

20100204005027_harwellstadium.jpg

It sure is.

waterfallguy59-albums-ernie-harwell-paul-carey-picture33-ernie-paul-thurs-8-11-1994.jpg

This was taken on Thursday August 11, 1994 - the day before the strike.

Ernie & Paul were showing people the model for the new Comerica Park;

they were seated next to the Tiger Plaza gift shop under the right field

seats.

Both Men very gracious and surprised to have their picture taken.

RIP - May God Bless Ernie Harwell and his family.

r

Received back from Mr. Harwell in January 2009, Love the location of his signature.

24687.jpg

Just wanted to say, I have no pictures to post of Ernie, but this is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite threads on MTS. Great idea Bert.
Thanks.
ERNIE+AND+LULA+1.jpg
Gosh, they look like movie stars or something. What a great find. What a great life Ernie had.

my wife got me this for Christmas, it's one of my most cherished pieces in my collection:

a20791d1272151a737db32_l.JPG

So glad I skipped out of work that night and went to the game.

my wife got me this for Christmas, it's one of my most cherished pieces in my collection:

a20791d1272151a737db32_l.JPG

So glad I skipped out of work that night and went to the game.

My Father-in-law got me one too....it's hanging up in the man cave as we speak!

It appears as if he were quite the handsome young man.

I just sent this to the Free Press

About 9 months ago... Ernie wrote an article about a near miss, how he had a great idea for a comic strip called Amby Dexter. His neighbor loved the idea, but it never came to fruition. They interviewed the great Jack Davis, even though Ernie loved his work the neighbor said no.

After reading the article, I called my friend who is a talented illustrator and said we need to do this for Ernie, well long story short we got busy and the idea was put on hold. After Ernie's passing we are left feeling that he had a great opportunity to give back to Ernie when he was alive but did nothing. We realize it is not the same and would have loved to seen Ernie's reaction to his ambidextrous pitcher Amby.

If possible we would like AMBY DEXTER to live in the funny pages even for one day as a tribute to Ernie Harwell, we were thinking next Tuesday when the Tigers pay tribute to Ernie.

http://i39.tinypic.com/wtifo.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zemphh.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/fdabz6.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/uo968.jpg

We had the comic set in 1953, we also made sure it was 4 panels. We went back and forth whether to put the olde English D on Amby but ultimately we felt Ernie was not only the Tigers but baseball. Please feel free to do whatever you like with it, thank you for your time. Any questions, I can be reached at 734-365-.

FREE PRESS BASEBALL COLUMNIST

My ego took a bruising last week when I read the Yankees had an ambidextrous pitcher named Pat Venditte on their Class A Charleston, S.C., farm team. It was a painful reminder of another near-miss in my career.

It began in the fall of 1953. My Larchmont, N.Y., neighbor, Harry Gilburt, head of national sales for United Features Syndicate, came to me with a proposition.

"Ernie," he said, "our syndicate needs a comic strip about baseball. Would you write one for us?"

" 'I could try,' I told Harry.

"I'll help you," he said. "We need a story line for a year, with 36 daily strips of four panels and five longer strips for Sundays."

My alleged brain began to whirl. I came up with an idea about a naive country boy pitching both right- and left-handed. His name, Ambrose Dexter, would be shortened to become the name of our strip "Amby Dexter."

Gilburt was enthusiastic. After approving and accepting my manuscript, he convinced his associates the project would be easy to market. I began to dream of readers all over the world praising my Amby Dexter.

My work done, United Features now needed an artist. Because he knew many top-notch cartoonists and illustrators, Gilburt didn't expect any problem. Submissions poured in, but Harry kept on rejecting them. After a futile month, both of us were getting anxious.

Then, an ambitious, young cartoonist named Jack Davis came to my home. His samples were fascinating. His vivid, energetic style won me over. But Gilburt vetoed me. So, we continued our search.

Strangely enough, Gilburt, though still confident about my creation, never found the illustrator he sought. So, Amby Dexter died, and I had achieved another of my near-misses.

Meanwhile, Jack Davis, the aspiring Georgian we rejected, is now a member of the Society of Illustrators Hall of Fame. His fir