zimm

Ernie Harwell Has Died

A man like Ernie Harwell makes me embarrassed for not being as wonderful a human being as he was.

I complain at work all the time. I act stupid over petty things. I hold grudges sometimes.

And then I look at a guy like Ernie, who, according to EVERYONE, never said a bad word about anyone. Why can't I be more like that?

+1

i recorded ernie harwell's last game as the tigers radio announcer. it's burned on cd (or two or three) in a box down in my basement. this weekend, i'm going to find it, edit it (to take out the commercials), and compress it to a good listening/uploading ratio for size. if someone here knows a good place where we could make the audio available to fans for downloading, i'd be interested in receiving pm's to discuss.

god bless you ernie - rest in peace.

It was nice to read the quote from Ernie's son saying he didn't suffer as much as he could have near the end. His suffering was something I thought of often after he made the announcement about his cancer. While I know he wouldn't have been pain free, it is nice to hear his son say those words.

I was very ill with spinal meningitis in April of 1984. After 2 weeks in the hospital, I had to stay in bed for the better part of 6 weeks. The highlight of my day was listening to the great Ernie Harwell broadcast every game and the Tigers started off with a 35-5 record. His soothing voice helped me get better much quicker than anticipated.

God certainly does bless Ernie Harwell. If we could all emulate this great man it would be a great world to live in and also to face our own inevitable death.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqcdTinjKvA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqcdTinjKvA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This song came on while I was in the pub yesterday, and I couldn't help but to think of Ernie.

A man like Ernie Harwell makes me embarrassed for not being as wonderful a human being as he was.

I complain at work all the time. I act stupid over petty things. I hold grudges sometimes.

And then I look at a guy like Ernie, who, according to EVERYONE, never said a bad word about anyone. Why can't I be more like that?

I've been thing along those same lines the last couple days.

The way Ernie treated his fellow humans and his positive influence stands as a phenomenal legacy. I hope that I can also start doing a better job following his example.

I'm listening to this right now. Thanks for posting, guy. Damn, it's good to hear Paul Carey's voice.

It sure is good to hear Paul's voice. He sounds exactly the same as he did 25 years ago. It'll be almost equally as sad the day we lose Paul.

I didn't realize how much I miss Paul until I heard his voice in those clips.

Paul did get sort of lost in the shadow of Ernie. What a great duo.

Paul Carey and Ernie were the greatest broadcast tandem in sports history. Yes, Paul was great in his way.

Carey was one of the all time great radio VOICEs, just awesome timbre. Though as a play by play man, Carey did have occasional trouble with the inability to keep talking when things got too busy on the field.

Price had gotten very bad in this regard as well before he stopped doing middle inning PBP.

One of the really amazing things about Ernie, was that even when his eyes were getting to where he had to use binocs a lot of the time, he was always able to keep the narrative up with the action.

Sadly, they don't seem to care about pure voice quality much at all anymore, esp on the TV side. Our set was still playing the FOX post game after the Minnesota game last night, but my wife and I were both out of the room and after only a couple of minutes looked at each other and simultaneously commented how obvious it was with only audio how how thin, nasal, and strained the voices of the whole crew sounded. Another of Ernie's (probably unintended!) legacies.:ponder:

One of the really amazing things about Ernie, was that even when his eyes were getting to where he had to use binocs a lot of the time, he was always able to keep the narrative up with the action.

As much as I'd like to agree, that wasn't the case. You'd find yourself waiting 2 or 3 seconds to find out what happened and frequently he was wrong and Jim had to correct him. Or sometimes Jim just said what happened while Ernie tried to figure it out. And it seemed if they went night to day or had two games that day, you could really hear it.

That's not being negative. Just being objective about what I heard. And I'd be the first one to want to say that wasn't the case. I loved listening to him, and still love listening to his games.

i recorded ernie harwell's last game as the tigers radio announcer. it's burned on cd (or two or three) in a box down in my basement. this weekend, i'm going to find it, edit it (to take out the commercials), and compress it to a good listening/uploading ratio for size. if someone here knows a good place where we could make the audio available to fans for downloading, i'd be interested in receiving pm's to discuss.

ok, i was wrong - not ernie harwell's last game. listening to it now, it is this game:

Box Score of Game played on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 at Jacobs Field

bocachica, easley, higginson, simon, fick, pena, halter, truby, inge. brian powell pitching against c.c. sabathia. in other words, the good ol' days. :grin: or something like that.

Walking out of the game today some guy was selling shirts commemorating Ernie. I was pissed the guy was making money of it and yelled out, "Alright, let's profit on Ernie's death!" One lady looking at the shirts looked up and gave me a very approving nod.

Love ya, Ernie. Thanks for the ride in '68. Especially the DH vs. Boston in August. Most memorable day ever at Tiger Stadium.