wockenfussy

The Future of Brennan Boesch

What does Brennan Boesch's future hold in Detroit? It's easy to get excited over his first 30 AB's, but we all know such a small sample size is relatively meaningless.

Clearly he can hit the ball. I like the quote from one of his minor league managers who said "When Brennan hits the ball he hits it hard. And it stays hit for a very long time". Or something like that.

Guillen will eventually return from his injury. What happens then? (resist the obvious jokes about Guillen getting injured stepping into the batters box his first AB after returning). Next year Damon will be off the books. Maggs might be too, though that's less certain.

What is Boesch's future here?

Not much if he gets on base at a .300 clip. He's got some nice tools but his offensive game is as shot through with holes as his swing is.

EDIT - I don't care how much power you have, a .300 OBP is not acceptable unless you're a defensive whiz at a premium position. Boesch is Mike Jacobs until he learns to control the strikezone. If he can do that, even to the tune of a league average OBP, then there might be the sort of lefty bat the Tigers have been looking for. But at .300 OBP, he's a bench bat.

Edited by Eric Cioe

Maggs will be back next year. Guillen may not be. Damon probably stays on. I would probably plan on having a single of spot available for next year.

Guillen is owed a pile of money in 2011, so he'll probably be back, unless we can find a taker for him. I don't consider it likely. Though somebody took Nate.

Not much if he gets on base at a .300 clip. He's got some nice tools but his offensive game is as shot through with holes as his swing is.

EDIT - I don't care how much power you have, a .300 OBP is not acceptable unless you're a defensive whiz at a premium position. Boesch is Mike Jacobs until he learns to control the strikezone. If he can do that, even to the tune of a league average OBP, then there might be the sort of lefty bat the Tigers have been looking for. But at .300 OBP, he's a bench bat.

He's only what, 24, so hopefully he has some improvement left in him. A .300 OBP makes it tough to be effective, but .325 plus a lot of power could be useful. About Jose Guillen useful, anyways.

Maggs will be back next year. Guillen may not be. Damon probably stays on. I would probably plan on having a single of spot available for next year.

I think Maggs vests, Damon's brought back for another year, and Guillen gets the Nate Robertson treatment, traded (with cash) after spring training.

What's the future for Boesch... I hope he has one, but I am not quick to write in his name on future lineup cards for next year (like lynn henning has).

And a little about Guillen; he is owed 13 million for this year and for next, and also has a partial no-trade clause. But with Maggs/Damon, we need them to platoon in the OF/DH, and Guillen -- with all his injuries, has shown that he can't play the field without getting hurt. Bad contract. It's really too bad, and I doubt he's here next year.

Guillen is owed a pile of money in 2011, so he'll probably be back, unless we can find a taker for him. I don't consider it likely. Though somebody took Nate.

Yeah, with a pile of cash... That's what we'll end up doing with Guillen. We'll send him somewhere with a giant pile of cash, or just release him.

Either way, we're going to end up eating 26 million over the rest of this year and next.

Come 2012, we may see a Boesch/Wells platoon in RF, Jackson in CF, Ramirez in LF, and Strieby at DH ?? Don't know if Raburn will still be around. Perhaps Clete could be a backup option.

Boesch sure has a quick bat - if he could learn to take a few more walks then he definitely becomes part of the OF discussion going forward.

I've been impressed with Boesch. Dude has quick hands, so he has no problem catching up with fastballs. He'll likely get better at not swinging at pitches he shouldn't. Hopefully, legendary Lloyd doesn't screw him up too much. He looks a little shaky in the outfield, but he's not brutal. He could improve his defense with work.

Come 2012, we may see a Boesch/Wells platoon in RF, Jackson in CF, Ramirez in LF, and Strieby at DH ??

Jackson in CF, that's all but a lock from here on out. The other three, I'd bet we'd see maybe one of those scnerios, maybe two, but I doubt all three.

I'm not that high on the trio of Wilkin/Strieby/Wells.

Boesch sure has a quick bat - if he could learn to take a few more walks then...

I hope he gets his chance, though I'm not holding my breath.

Come 2012, we may see a Boesch/Wells platoon in RF, Jackson in CF, Ramirez in LF, and Strieby at DH ?? Don't know if Raburn will still be around. Perhaps Clete could be a backup option.

Boesch sure has a quick bat - if he could learn to take a few more walks then he definitely becomes part of the OF discussion going forward.

Is anyone else like me and thinking Wells is fading fast with Boesch playing so well in Detroit? Ramirez didn't help himself by being demoted to AA to start the year either.

I've been impressed with Boesch. Dude has quick hands, so he has no problem catching up with fastballs. He'll likely get better at not swinging at pitches he shouldn't. Hopefully, legendary Lloyd doesn't screw him up too much. He looks a little shaky in the outfield, but he's not brutal. He could improve his defense with work.

I'm not sold yet....the guy's logged about 1800 AB's in the minors already over five seasons and hasn't really demonstrated plate discipline at any level. His K/BB ratio is 3.05 over those AB's. If that's what we can expect out of him, that would make him comperable to hitters like Juan Encarnacion or Jacque Jones. Guys who can be useful in the right situations because they have so much power, but overall are spare parts. If I had to predict Boesch's future right this instant, I would suggest that he might develop a useful, solid big leaguer down the road, but I doubt it will happen with the Tigers. He's got a loooong way to go with his plate discipline.

He could be a left handed Marcus Thames for us. Get 200 AB's between DH and OF and provide power off the bench.

Do all you trade Guillen people comprehend, they got nothing for Nate, they paid all but $450,000 of a $10,000,000 salary and recieved a low grade almost useless prospect in return. It's ridiculous to even say the traded him.

Guilen has absolutley no trade value..

NONE

Brennan Boesch is the type of player that gets you in trouble, he has one skill, power.

Poor fielder, terrible plate discipline, a virtual black hole wth a bat, waiting to happen.

Now, that being said, his power is mesmerizing, his run porduction intriguing, but as most of the SABR's on the oard have discussed, it's a matter of tme before he begins to hurt you. Unless he vastly improves his plate discipline he will kill you.

Edited by sportz4life

Do all you trade Guillen people comprehend, they got nothing for Nate, they paid all but $450,000 of a $10,000,000 salary and recieved a low grade almost useless prospect in return. It's ridiculous to even say the traded him.

Guilen has absolutley no trade value..

NONE

Nate is also a LH SP. Not a very good one, but LH SP's have about 450k worth of value, apparently.

Guillen is a defensive liability that can't stay healthy as a DH. I'm sure GM's are salivating over him.

Brennan Boesch is the type of player that gets you in trouble, he was one skill, power.

Poor fielder, terrible plate discipline, a virtual black hole wth a bat, waiting to happen.

Now, that being said, his power is mesmerizing, his run porduction intriguing, but as most of the SABR's on the oard have discussed, it's a matter of tme before he begins to hurt you. Unless he vastly improves his plate discipline he will kill you.

Hopefully the Tigers don't get so sucked in by the power potential that they give Boesch more opportunities to be an every day player than he deserves. He's hitting the ball pretty hard right now and you have to like that, but it's still hard to see what he can sustain. I can certainly live with a left-handed version of Thames for a while, as long as the Tigers keep a clear head about his abilities and don't get sucked in by overly optimistic expectations.

He's been extremely aggressive, but he's made decent contact, and when he does, he is impressive. He does need to lay off bad pitches, because I notice he's getting plenty of them.

I think Maggs vests, Damon's brought back for another year, and Guillen gets the Nate Robertson treatment, traded (with cash) after spring training.

What's the future for Boesch... I hope he has one, but I am not quick to write in his name on future lineup cards for next year (like lynn henning has).

And a little about Guillen; he is owed 13 million for this year and for next, and also has a partial no-trade clause. But with Maggs/Damon, we need them to platoon in the OF/DH, and Guillen -- with all his injuries, has shown that he can't play the field without getting hurt. Bad contract. It's really too bad, and I doubt he's here next year.

Yeah, with a pile of cash... That's what we'll end up doing with Guillen. We'll send him somewhere with a giant pile of cash, or just release him.

Either way, we're going to end up eating 26 million over the rest of this year and next.

I'd tend to agree with this. I think it's likely we'll do whatever it takes to get Guillen out of here for next season, even if it means paying someone to take him. It's getting to the point where he's actually getting in the way, and that's not the case with Mags. If Damon continues to be this consistent, I'd love to see him get a 2 year extension.

Boesch has been impressive, and I have a feeling he may work out some of his issues, such as OBP, in time and with some work. He's only 24, so he has time left. If he was 28 or 29 I'd say this is as good as it gets. I just want to see him progress over the season an improve in the needed areas. The last thing we need is for him to become Chris Shelton II.

By 2012 we may be heralding the coming of the Age of Daniel Fields... He'll be tearing up at Erie that season, a mere phone call away from the outfield expanse that is Harwell Field at Comerica Park...

I'd tend to agree with this. I think it's likely we'll do whatever it takes to get Guillen out of here for next season, even if it means paying someone to take him. It's getting to the point where he's actually getting in the way, and that's not the case with Mags. If Damon continues to be this consistent, I'd love to see him get a 2 year extension.

No, no, no, no, no, have you learned nothing from the recent history of this team? Give a two year contract to a guy who is a good baseball player right now, but is so old that by the end of it, he'll be 40? Sheffield? Come on.

I have no problem bringing Damon back, but for one year. No need to get hamstrung with two year deals to 40 year olds.

He could be a left handed Marcus Thames for us. Get 200 AB's between DH and OF and provide power off the bench.

Agree with this idea. Maybe not this season but his tools do have a role on a team.