lionstigersand...

MSU '10-'11 Basketball

but he is moving from one notable ag school to another.

I have no idea what Chris' major is/was. But I would guess that with only one year of eligibility left, Chris was looking for a place where he felt comfortable and he thought that he would get extensive playing time. He'll only need one good season and he'll atleast get a look-see from the professional ranks.

hell, i think they have a school for growing weed in southfield.

but he is moving from one notable ag school to another.

It looks, at least from the schools that fell under final consideration, that he was simply looking for the best shot at shots in 2011-2012. Each of those choices have an opening on the wing, and coaches that will probably tend to give the back-courts a little carte blanche.

It'll be interesting to see what Fred Hoiberg brings to the table in Ames...Certainly one of the great nickname and nickname stories in sports.

He kicks you off the team, and you still love him:

Chris Allen: (if #msu makes run in tourney) "I will be all for it — I will be somewhere watching in my #msu stuff"

The Only Colors - For Michigan St. Spartans Fans

Obviously what I wrote above was tongue in cheek, but seriously, its like Allen is happier now than when he was on the team. Very strange, hopefully the details of this whole thing comes out one day...

Branden Dawson now a top 15 player:

In Scout's newly-released rankings, Dawson gains a fifth star and moves up 13 places in the national rankings to #15 (#4 small forward). [EDIT: And Rivals now has moved him from #25 to #13 nationally.]

theonlycolors.com

From his former MSU page....

Interdisciplinary studies-human resources major.

IDS? when i was there, IDs was used for 2 things-an easy undergrad route for students planning to go to grad/law school and, because they were known for accepting almost anyone into the college, it was a haven for students hitting junior status needing to declare a major but having lousy grades or on academic probation.

their academic counselors were really nice and helpful-much more so than those i worked with in any other department (except international studies.)

probably one of the preferred jock majors because you could get a diploma with very few 300 and 400 level classes (at least as of the mid 90's.) you could say you had cognates (do they offer minors yet?) in impressive sounding areas like economics and pre-law, but without having to take the really hard stuff.

Yep, doesn't sound too off base from what I think of when I hear Chris Allen.

Me & my roommates always wondered how he managed to afford the fully loaded brand new Mustang he drove around in, and how he along with some of the other under age kids on the basketball team managed to get into all the bars & drink with no hassles even though there isn't a single bar or liquor store for that matter, that doesn't check ID's at the door.

Only other guy we ever saw out at the bars was Goran, which was perfectly fine because he was over 21, not to mention when we did see him out, he wasn't even drinking. Mostly just sat by the bar, nodding his head to music, & talking to whoever was around him. Allen on the other hand, would be obnoxious & had the "I can do whatever I want because I'm on the basketball team" attitude. So I'm not surprised at all that he had some bogus major.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/1011Schedule.pdf

Schedule is out. Conference schedule, in terms of dates, very similar to last year. OOC, we play an incredible team every other game. Literally. The season starts EMU then South Carolina, Chaminade, UCONN, Maybe Kentucky, Tenn Tech, Duke, Bowling Green, Syracuse at MSG, Oakland, Texas. From Thanksgiving to Christmas, the schedule is the most ridiculous I've probably ever seen, and thats saying something for Izzo. I love it.

For the MSU at M game, M students will be on spring break. Thats pretty interesting...but will be nice to clinch a third straight BTT in front of the home fans :rambo:

And more notes from theonlycolors.com:

There wasn't a lot of critical information in the basketball schedule released yesterday that we didn't already have, but analyzing things is what we do here So here you go, bulletpoint-style:

* Exhibition opener is Tuesday, November 2 vs. Saginaw Valley State. Only 67 days away, believe it or not.

* Regular season opener is Friday, November 12 vs. Eastern Michigan.

* Five off days before the Maui Invitational; three after, going into a game vs. a lower-tier Tennessee Tech team. Shouldn't have the kind of fatigue issues the team did going into the 2008 UNC game coming off only 2 full days rest after a long weekend tournament (although the travel back to East Lansing from Hawaii will obviously be lengthier).

* We already knew all the major-conference non-conference opponents: South Carolina (at home), Duke (away), Syracuse (New York), Texas (home). As Izzo pointed out in the press release, 6 of MSU's 12 currently-scheduled non-conference games could be against major-conference opponents if things play to form in Maui (UConn, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Virginia, and Washington are the potential major-conference foes there).

* MSU plays at the Palace again, after a year off, against Oakland. (This qualifies as new information, I think.) The Grizzlies look to be the most dangerous non-major-conference team on the slate. Center Keith Benson (21 points, 11 rebounds vs. MSU last year) is back for his senior year.

* One more non-conference game is yet to be announced. Will presumably be the weekend of December 18-19 (after finals week) or a mid-week game after Christmas going into conference play. Saturday the 26th is also a possibility; not sure if they'd want to play a game Christmas weekend or not.

* Conference schedule looks pretty reasonable. No more than two road games (or home games) in a row at any point. Quite a few turnarounds on only 2 full days rest, but that's the price of being on ESPN a lot.

* Missing conference games are home to Ohio State and at Indiana, reversing last year's missed games. Fairly neutral pair of games to have off the schedule. Missing OSU on the road last year was a better deal, arguably helping MSU snare a share of the title and making up a little for scheduling disadvantages that worked against MSU's title hopes a couple times earlier in the decade.

* Big Ten slates ramps up fairly slowly to a killer back-to-back-road-game sequence in Champaign and West Lafayette in the 6th and 7th games. A 6-game sequence in the second half of the schedule includes at Wisconsin, at Ohio State, Illinois, and Purdue. That's MSU's Big Ten championship hopes are likely to be realized or squashed.

* Senior Day will be against Iowa on a Wednesday night. Pretty good odds of Lucas, Summers, and Kebler going out with a win.

* Final regular season tilt is down in Ann Arbor. As noted by Seer, Michigan students will be on break for the game--so Crisler could be pretty green for the game.

* Final entry on the schedule, on the very slim chance you weren't aware:

Msu_schedule_entry2_medium

Korie Lucious was picked up on suspicion of DUI, Sunday. He allegedly blew a .09, but also just happens to be a couple months shy of 21. Misdemeanors, but Izzo won't be at all pleased by this. I have a feeling, at least for season's first few weeks, that Mr. Lucious is about to get very acquainted with Mr. Appling, and then a chair on the sideline.

Edited by lionstigersand...

Korie Lucious, a minor, was arrested for drunk driving. Blew a 0.09.

So....half of last season's mind cluster is gone (Allen), maybe now the 2nd half of that equation just got his third strike.

Will be interesting to see how Izzo handles this, as I don't recall him ever (publicly) having to deal with something like this before. At least not that immediately comes to mind. Its probably a relatively minor punishment on its own (at least according to precedents set elsewhere), but for Lucious, and his reportedly tenuous position, it may become more than that.

Incidentally, Rivals released their initial R150 for 2012. All three spartan verbals are in the top 100. Valentine - 95, Kaminski - 77, Costello - 57. Incidentally Gary Harris is at #24.

I hope Izzo nails Lucious hard for this. Besides the fact that a DUI is 100% inexcusable, Lucious seems to have a big ego and harsh punishment might help shape him up a little bit.

Definitely don't let him take that trip to Hawaii. I say make him practice, and allow his return for the garbage games over Christmas (even though there aren't many...), when Izzo tends to work his magic anyway. Let Appling get his feet wet against USC, UCONN, Kentucky, Duke, Syracuse, and Texas (wow is that an impressive stretch...).

Yeah, the drinking limit was higher than that as recently as the late 90's I believe, but the fact also remains that he is 20 years old. Its not .01 above the limit, but .09 above the limit.

You never had a drink before you were 21? Let's not start splitting hairs over a few months. The point is, while you should never get behind the wheel if you are impaired, .09 is not a lot of alcohol. He was stupid for getting behind the wheel, but we're not talking about Kevin Grady here.

When I heard about this at work, the first thing I thought of is, how dumb do you have to be to get in a car & drive a little bit after 2:00 am (which is when the bars close for all those who don't know), especially up at MSU....

After living in EL for 3-4 years, I really see no excuse for something like this. Besides the fact that there are more cab companies than I can even count, on top of that, if it's nice out, why not walk, and maybe the dumbest thing of all, I'm pretty sure there's a Police Station literally a block or two away from where he was pulled over (Linden & Charles). In that part of town, Police Station + almost all of the bars near that strip...it's honestly just asking for trouble.

You never had a drink before you were 21? Let's not start splitting hairs over a few months. The point is, while you should never get behind the wheel if you are impaired, .09 is not a lot of alcohol. He was stupid for getting behind the wheel, but we're not talking about Kevin Grady here.

FTR, Lucious has had a few other issues at MSU. Not all or even many of the illegal variety, but issues nonetheless - including some (a little defiance in the face of authority) in the same vein of Chris Allen.

Is this preferable to the block s?

It'll be interesting to see a more zoomed out version of the court, to see how it looks, but I like what I've seen so far. I think Munn looks awesome.

And possibly the most telling factor...I had bought an MSU flag back in undergrad, and with the option of a block S vs. the helmet, I got the helmet. So I guess I do favor that design.