froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

Do the Lions have any picks left ... I am looking, but I can't seem to find where they pick next, or how many they have.

26th pick in round 5

Do the Lions have any picks left ... I am looking, but I can't seem to find where they pick next, or how many they have.

Pick in about 15-20 picks in the 5th rd here, then again in the 7th. Just 2 picks left

They have a late 5th and a 7th.

I think the reason Greg Jones' play tailed off near the end of his career is because he pretty much had to do everything in the middle of the field. I think he could carve out a useful NFL career.

7 of the 8 tackles were assisted tackles, one was solo. I meant solo tackles. He was in on a lot of group tackles but I felt like he wasnt the one making those plays a lot of the times. And you are right, I forgot he had a sack that game. That was his only sack of the year too btw, and only 2 career INT, both against a 1aa school. He lacked playmaking ability. But he was around the ball a lot. A ton of his tackles were of the assist variety, because he did get to the ball, ill give him that.

I think you can knock jones on a lot of things, but college production isnt one of them.

Now that we've made it into the 5th round, the chances of getting a player that's gonna help you a lot in 2011 is seriously diminished. I wouldn't take a CB/LB at this point - Go with a player to develop.

Having said that, I'm hoping Mayhew can nab Greg McElroy out of Alabama.

They have a late 5th and a 7th.

Thanks.

So what do you guys think, are we looking to take BPA, or a specific position - CB, LB, or a OL?

Thanks.

So what do you guys think, are we looking to take BPA, or a specific position - CB, LB, or a OL?

BPA

I think you can knock jones on a lot of things, but college production isnt one of them.

Playmaking ability in college is a fair criticism. But again, I do this a lot. I am not a big fan of too much hype so I always feel I got to tone it down a notch if I feel its too much (all the people on here saying he would go 2nd and we should have taken him earlier)....

THAT SAID...He is a good player, not spectacular. The Lions could do a lot worse in the 5th and 6th round. I would not be mad at all if the Lions took him with their next pick. I wanted to make sure I got that part out so it doesnt sound like Im just completely knocking the guy, just dont feel he was a top couple round talent, but now we are in the part of the draft where guys like him get drafted. He is a good prospect at this point in the draft to me. edit ---just remembered Lions dont have a 6, so it would probably have to be 5th round

Edited by Johnny Mac

Not like any of us know anything about the guy, but I'll take a LB.

Honestly I think Ive only watched Syracuse play one game last year and he had 2 INT in it (v. WVU). So I do remember his name, but Im not going to try and judge the guy from one game I saw

They were my first posts in a 52 page thread lol yeah you got me

So you didn't post anything in the thread until someone pointed out that a crappy Michigan player got picked ahead of a better MSU player, and then you used your next few posts to say how you didn't care about it.

And yeah, I kind of did get you, didn't I?:cheeky:

Interesting.

For a player who has only spent 24 games at linebacker, Hogue will only get better. He has good speed and great instincts…whether it be hunting down the ball carrier or the quarterback. Hogue has solid hands, which he developed during his days as a running back and he could even be a short yardage ball carrier in the NFL. However, his true position at the next level is as an outside linebacker and some team that has time to teach Hogue and allow him to learn more about the position will be getting a steal in the fourth or fifth round.

From FFToolbox.com Doug Hogue Scouting Report - 2011 NFL Draft Prospect

So unless the Lions trade up again they don't have a pick for a while. I assume the 7th rounder will be BPA regardless of position. That being said, I'm happy with the draft. I hope that Houge plays well enough at WLB all season, he's supposedly pretty good in space? The d-line should should give him plenty of it so he won't have to worry about too many blockers...