froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

I care that jones went 3-1 against michigan, i dont see why i should care that mouton will get a better rookie contract than jones.

Whatever, i guess you need something to argue about in april, fall practice is a long time from now...

You're trying to reach here -- it's pretty bad, but the bait isn't all that good today ..... try again later.

No one is saying you should

Exactly. If anything, JMac was calling me out for what I said about Greg Jones ... I said he'd get picked in the 2nd round.

My name has been brought up more than once JM

Yeah, Buddha -- who must have some good bait today -- tossed his line and you bit.

You're trying to reach here -- it's pretty bad, but the bait isn't all that good today ..... try again later.

Exactly. If anything, JMac was calling me out for what I said about Greg Jones ... I said he'd get picked in the 2nd round.

And the people (earlier in this thread) who said he still might be a 2nd round pick and the people saying we should take him. There was plenty of reasons to discuss Jones in this thread outside of SV, I wasnt even thinking about him

As far as the picks, I think there's something to be said for the fact that there are just different ways to build a team. I hate when people throw out platitudes like "not a running back league" or "don't draft running backs high" as though there's some one and only formula to winning. With Fairley, Young, and Leshoure on board, teams can attempt to match up with the Lions strengths and they still won't be able to do anything about it. I remember plenty of games last year where opponents neutralized the Lions by taking away Calvin, getting the ball away from Suh, and that's not going to be happening anymore. And as long as the Lions are excelling in some facet of the game on each side of the ball, they'll be able to win any game.

That said, I don't really like the Young pick. Would have preferred Brandon Harris. Oh well.

Kiper loves wide receivers for some reason.
???
His favorite picks are always wide receivers.
I have never noticed this before, but okay .... if you say so :classic:

He's referring to Kiper's man-crush on Mike Williams.

Hey, Benke, make a reference to fishing and baiting one more time. Maybe someone will care then.

It's a pretty common joke amongst those who post in the college forum.

Oh, and I thought you knew already, that I could care less what others care for.

He's referring to Kiper's man-crush on Mike Williams.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Man Tampa took some high risk players

1st Rd - Adrian Clayborn - Has erb's palsy, it limits his range of motion in his right arm and many think it is weakening his upper body, which many scouts blame his poor bench press in the combine on.

2nd Rd - Da'Quan Bowers - Talented, but major questions about his knees. ESPN said today they heard from a Doctor it is highly likely that Bowers is going to need a major knee surgery within the next 4 years that would have a 8 month recovery period from. You can almost write him out at least one of the next 4 seasons.

Edited by Johnny Mac

Was out, just checked. The players the Lions got are two that I was thinking of, great job Mayhew, Leshore is a future star I think, and Young is a gamebreaker.

Man Tampa took some high risk players

1st Rd - Adrian Clayborn - Has erb's palsy, it limits his range of motion in his right arm and many think it is weakening his upper body, which many scouts blame his poor bench press in the combine on.

2nd Rd - Da'Quan Bowers - Talented, but major questions about his knees. ESPN said today they heard from a Doctor it is highly likely that Bowers is going to need a major knee surgery within the next 4 years that would have a 8 month recovery period from. You can almost write him out at least one of the next 4 seasons.

I agree...

Hard to figure these selections?

Oh, upon further inspection they traded up for LeShoure, blah why trade up for a RB, you can get RB's from supermarket that can play in the NFL.

Oh, upon further inspection they traded up for LeShoure, blah why trade up for a RB, you can get RB's from supermarket that can play in the NFL.

They've done that and it hasn't worked. Lets try getting a good one.

As a Michigan fan, I will say this, Greg Jones will be a steal and a starter in this league. He is a football player, I dont care about his speed, or lack of interceptions. People said the same thing about Brandon Spikes last year and Spikes became a starter. Some good linebackers left Jones, Colin McCarthy, Casey Matthews, Quan Sturdivant, and a now two years removed from surgery, Mark Herzlich.

Stafford's girlfriend on twitter:

kellybhall Kelly Hall

Happy about having another wide receiver and running back!! Hopefully some o-linemen will come in free agency? #golions

I saw some third round picks who may start from day one, which shocks me with the New England Mallett pick. Jerrell Casey, Martez Wilson, maybe Justin Henry and Jah Reid strike me as the best picks. I just dont know about Dontay Moch, great speed but I see a bust.

Brandon Burton, Mark Herzlich, Marcus Cannon, Greg Jones, Casey Matthews and Quan Sturdivant are who I have my eye on for today. Hope we can get one of them.

Overall Im liking this draft. I dont look at needs in the draft just value. With Fairley and Leshoure theyve hit value home runs. And Im warming up to Young even tho his speed may be a bit overblown. He ran just a tad under 4.5, hardly a burner. But his other skills and quickness makes him seem to play faster.

Brandon Burton, Mark Herzlich, Marcus Cannon, Greg Jones, Casey Matthews and Quan Sturdivant are who I have my eye on for today. Hope we can get one of them.

Love Herzlich, but he's a shell of his former self, and I don't think he'll get drafted. Burton has no speed. Cannon has a treatable form of lymphoma, but will be undergoing treatments soon. The other 3 LB's are not starters.

Also, I liked this tweet from Killer...

@TomKowalski36

Tom Kowalski

Interesting thing about #LIONS picks - they all play positions where they can succeed without needing a lot of off-season or camp time

Here's my prediction for today that may make Benke's and SV's back and forth moot:

Aaron Bates will be the first MSU player taken. Book it.

Here's my prediction for today that may make Benke's and SV's back and forth moot:

Aaron Bates will be the first MSU player taken. Book it.

I think the funny thing is CL Rucker MAY go before Greg Jones. Now I know some of the MSU fans on here thought Rucker was ok, but in the two MSU games I went to this season the fans in the crowd would yell Greg Jones name after every good play on defense (even if he didnt do much on the pay) and every bad play they would give up first thing Id hear was "Was that Rucker? Man he sucks". Now McShay's mock draft had them going within a couple picks of each other and its possible CL could go first

Who cares where a Particular college's player is picked? Not sure why i would care where jones gets picked. He was a multiple all american while winning a big ten championship at msu, what more do i need?

So mouton got drafted higher... Does that mean mark dantonio is an even better coach than i thought?! Lol

Some people obviously care so little that they devote four or five posts to telling everyone how little they care. Which makes it even more obvious how little they care.:cheeky:

I think the funny thing is CL Rucker MAY go before Greg Jones. Now I know some of the MSU fans on here thought Rucker was ok, but in the two MSU games I went to this season the fans in the crowd would yell Greg Jones name after every good play on defense (even if he didnt do much on the pay) and every bad play they would give up first thing Id hear was "Was that Rucker? Man he sucks". Now McShay's mock draft had them going within a couple picks of each other and its possible CL could go first

From my experience, everyone at MSU thought Rucker was a tool, but he was also a good player. He also didn't really become "good" until the end of his career, while Jones was heralded for a long time - meaning some people had ideas about how good Rucker was based on how he played earlier in his career. People loved Jones from the start.

From my experience, everyone at MSU thought Rucker was a tool, but he was also a good player. He also didn't really become "good" until the end of his career, while Jones was heralded for a long time - meaning some people had ideas about how good Rucker was based on how he played earlier in his career. People loved Jones from the start.

Your right, I dont know how the fan base in general liked him. But I know my good friend who I went to games with couldnt stand him and the guys we sat around hated him. There was one real drunk guy calling for him to get cut from the team one game I was at. And the "less informed fans, i.e. a lot of the female students at the game like my sister who is a FR at MSU, Greg Jones was basically the only player they knew.