froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

Now we need to work on the offensive line of scrimmage.

No kidding, they've been ignoring the offensive line for way too long. It's been the greatest need for a long time and they just continue to ignore it.

There's still good players available. I wonder what it would take for the Lions to get back into the first round? Should the Lions try to trade back in and get Amukemera?

Weren't they comparing Fairly to Suh after the college season ended? What's better than Suh? Two Suh's.

I think Fairley is more of a penetrating John Randle type of tackle while Suh is just a physical beast who does it all but is not quite as quick off the ball.

From Twitter

jschwartzlions Jim Schwartz

We did a lot of mock scenarios and Fairley falling to us was one of our ideals, though we thought it unlikely.

Buddha: Rick Spielman just admitted to the Vikings flagship station on KFAN that his QB pick was a reach. Brilliant. Just what the Vikings need.

I agree they need to rebuild, but drafting Ponder was not the way to go. I wanted Blaine Gabbert. Ponder is not that guy.

Vikings needed a new general manager who knows what he is doing, not a guy that did nothing with the Dolphins or the Bears in Rick Spielman.

No kidding, they've been ignoring the offensive line for way too long. It's been the greatest need for a long time and they just continue to ignore it.

Have to go offensive line in second round I think, unless there is just terrible value there. We need linebackers and corners as well but protecting Stafford is more important at this point. We can worry about the back end of the defense later or another year.

The offensive Line wasn't bad. Mayhew traded for Sims who turned out to be a solid guard. They spent a first round pick on Cherilus recently.

Jim Schwartz on Twitter: "We did a lot of mock scenarios and Fairley falling to us was one of our ideals, though we thought it unlikely."

Nope. I think you have to consider need. What if a quarterback was the best player available?

I think we have to make some more moves. I love Fairley's game on the field but we now are overloaded at defensive tackles with glaring holes elsewhere. BPA sounds good in theory but it doesn't work out too well on the field. If Fairley was head and shoulders above other available players, then this is a great pick. But I don't believe he was.

It's kind of understood that you make an exception with BPA to the positions on the field that have only 1 starter (QB, C, 4-3 MLB).

Needs change from year to year. Talent does not.

Not necessarily. Even if you can't get to the QB for a sack, the better the D line the less time the QB has to make that big play. That also means less time for a superior WR to get separation from an inferior CB.

And if the DL doesn't get a great push a good backfield might make the QB take longer. I think it works both ways. I tend to think that DBs are equally as important to pass defense as DLs.

Back to the original point, aren't linebackers as important as defensive lineman when it comes to stopping the run?

More from Twitter:

15 minutes ago

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Holy Crow. That Lions DT combo, downright scary. First order of business for Mr. Ponder: Size him up with a double-flak jacket.

17 minutes ago

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons

Suh and Fairley???? We need another Eminem commercial - Detroit is back!!!!!! This is a wildly entertaining draft.

18 minutes ago

TomKowalski36 Tom Kowalski

Talked to Gunther late last year and he said "If we add a DT, we can be something really special'' ... it's a surprise, but he got his wish

TomKowalski36 Tom Kowalski

Expect to see Suh on the outside a little more -- based on opponent ... the Lions are going to be a matchup nightmare for any OL now ..

It's kind of understood that you make an exception with BPA to the positions on the field that have only 1 starter (QB, C, 4-3 MLB).

Needs change from year to year. Talent does not.

So it is not really BPA then...

And for me, I would not have taken a wide receiver or tight end with our first pick either.

I just read Fairley was late to multiple pre-draft meetings with teams...how do you let this happen with millions of dollars are on the line? Maybe he never met with Lions so that was not issue for us.

I hate to disagree with Michigan Man Rich Eisen...but the Chiefs could use a QB....

Pouncey is a decent, but boring draft pick for a decent, but boring football team. Whatever, Dolphins aren't finishing higher than 3rd anyways.

Good pick, Detroit. Suh + Fairly is going to be insane.

More from Twitter:

I do not like Suh as a defensive end. His skills are way more suited for the interior of the line.

Man this defensive line could be pretty impressive. Two DTs as dominant as Suh and potentially Fairly can completely control the defensive side of the ball. And as versatile as they both are OLines wont know where they are coming from.

The bust potentials there for Fairly but im counting on Mayhew and staff having done thier due diligence and Suh and VDB showing him how its done the right way.

The offensive Line wasn't bad. Mayhew traded for Sims who turned out to be a solid guard. They spent a first round pick on Cherilus recently.

The QBs have been getting crushed and the running game is non-existent. I think there is talent on the offense, but the o-line can't stop the blitz and can't run-block. I like Sims, but the rest of the line is mediocre at best.

Pouncey is a decent, but boring draft pick for a decent, but boring football team. Whatever, Dolphins aren't finishing higher than 3rd anyways.

Good pick, Detroit. Suh + Fairly is going to be insane.

It sucks not having a quarterback. You either have to reach for one and take a chance or just accept mediocrity. Stafford may never be great but at least he gives us hope.

Amukamara must be falling for a reason...

I don't think so... None of these teams have a need for him... Bowers on the other hand, there is a BIG reason why.

Amukamara must be falling for a reason...

Maybe...I know he struggled against Blackmon this year. I think Prince is a little rough around the edges right now but his athleticism more than makes up for it.

It appears teams just really value lineman right now.