froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

There are two elite corners this draft, I prefer Prince to Peterson, if either of them is on the board where we pick, I have to believe that will be the choice. If neither are there, I can see us taking someone like Da'Quan Bowers, if he's available, or Travis Lewis who I am starting to fall in love with.

In all honesty, I think we will go DE/LB in the first and CB in the second. This draft has very good depth in the secondary.

I want AJ Green if we are picking around 7-8. He provides financial cover from CJ in negotiations.

Me too, if those 4 I mentioned are gone. Very rarely am I so sold on a prospect.

We are not taking a QB in top 2 rounds....Stafford is the future, way too early to give up on him. Hill is a capable backup, maybe could see us taking one in 4-7 round...

I want a CB, LB and OL with first 3 picks, dont really care the order. Wouldnt mind a DE or S either. (especially someone like Bowers)

I am blown away by the number of posts calling for a d-lineman...really??? There are infinitely more problems elsewhere that desperately need tending to than the d-line. Draft anyone that doesn't play QB, WR, DE, DT and this team will be better.

In what round do we draft a center???

I am blown away by the number of posts calling for a d-lineman...really??? There are infinitely more problems elsewhere that desperately need tending to than the d-line. Draft anyone that doesn't play QB, WR, DE, DT and this team will be better.

I wouldn't draft a center before round 4. You can't reach on talent simply because you don't want to draft a position that isn't your weakest. KVB isn't going to last more than 2 more seasons, Avril has some skills, but isn't very good against the run...if we draft an elite pass rusher, we can move KVB over and put our stud on the blind side. If somehow we win 5 or 6 games this year I hope we draft a LB as we will be picking around 10 and that's a perfect spot to pick one up.

I would not be suprised if we draft a QB in round 5 or later, but I suspect that Robinson may stick around and be our developmental guy. I am fully confident in our management to judge talent that fits our system and aquire it successfully, I'm behind their decisiono making 100%.

I'm not really sure what to do really.

I was thinking Oline but in all honesty there are more pressing needs right now. They suck but our qbs are not getting killed.

Linebacker is a need. They are terrible.

Secondary?

Let's see how Spivey does at Safety the 2nd half. CB is a need but Houston and Smith are showing a bit of Promise and they are not getting burned like last year.

The Safe pic is LT, move Backus to Guard, Raola is Ok for another year, Simms and Ghoster is good enough.

2 years ago was the Linebacker Year with Mattews and Rey sitting there when they took Pettegrew but Pettegrew is starting to grow on me a bit.

I guess it all depends on where they pic.....

I will give Avril another half season to prove him but I think we can definitely upgrade that position, or at least add depth. It is more important to have depth at defensive line than any other position on the field. I agree with you DT, QB, and WR make no sense but I do think you can make a case for a DE.

McShay has us picking Clayborn. I would not be in favor of this pick. He is not producing this year and while some blame it on more attention being paid to him, I believe great players find a way to make plays despite double teams. Guys like Quinn, Bowers, and Kerrigan would all look great for us next year.

Other players I am watching closely that fit our needs and could be had were I think we will be drafting are Ayers, Sherrod, and more than anybody else, Gabe Carimi.

After today's loss, and with no Stafford, we can start talking about top five players such as Peterson, Amakumara, and Bowers.

Because a top level DE would complete the defensive line and make every other position on the defense better. The Lions still don't have a great pass rush. Give them a great outside rusher and the line will be one of the best in the league. Teams that dominate up front can cover over talent deficiencies on the rest of the defense.

Center? You get centers in the third and fourth round. Around the same time you get guards.

Lions should take the BPA from the positions of DE, CB, LT, LB.

Because a top level DE would complete the defensive line and make every other position on the defense better. The Lions still don't have a great pass rush. Give them a great outside rusher and the line will be one of the best in the league. Teams that dominate up front can cover over talent deficiencies on the rest of the defense.

Center? You get centers in the third and fourth round. Around the same time you get guards.

Lions should take the BPA from the positions of DE, CB, LT, LB.

This is exactly how I feel, except I would substitute LT with OL.

After today's loss, and with no Stafford, we can start talking about top five players such as Peterson, Amakumara, and Bowers.

Today was great as far as the Lions potential draft position is concerned. They lose, while Buffalo, Dallas, San Francisco, and Denver all get wins. On the flip side Cincinnati and Carolina lost. So now there are only five teams with two wins or less and the Lions are tied in the 3 through 5 slots. Another toilet bowl showdown next week at Dallas and if the Lions suck as hard as they did today I'm sure they'll have the third place all to themselves.

EDIT: Actually no, if they lose to Dallas they'd still be tied with Cincinnati unless Cincinnati wins. And Cincinnati plays Buffalo so that's actually going to be a toilet bowl double header. Next week is HUGE!

1-8 Buffalo

1-8 Carolina

2-7 Dallas

2-7 Detroit

2-7 Cincinnati

Edited by Chuck_n_Duck

Today was great as far as the Lions potential draft position is concerned. They lose, while Buffalo, Dallas, San Francisco, and Denver all get wins. On the flip side Cincinnati and Carolina lost. So now there are only five teams with two wins or less and the Lions are tied in the 3 through 5 slots. Another toilet bowl showdown next week at Dallas and if the Lions suck as hard as they did today I'm sure they'll have the third place all to themselves.

1-8 Buffalo

1-8 Carolina

2-7 Dallas

2-7 Detroit

2-7 Cincinnati

And Cincinnati plays Buffalo next week.

I can't even imagine how good this defense would be if we ended up with Patrick Peterson. I don't think we have seen a corner this talented since Deion Sanders. I have some questions about whether he can live up to that talent but if he does, wow!

Cowherd said this week that scouts are saying Luck is the best prospect since Elway. If this is really true, I will change my stance on taking a quarterback in the first round.

At this point, I would say there is a 98% chance Luck is the first pick in the draft. If the Lions somehow ended up with the first pick, it would create quite an interesting situation.

...Lions should take the BPA from the positions of DE, CB, LT, LB.

+ 1,000.

This should be the ONLY plan.

Luck (per Hart)? Trade down the pick for a ransom. No way the Lions go QB next year, even if Luck somehow makes it to their draft spot. If it happens, I guarantee a trade of the draft pick.

I'm good with Bowers, followed by Peterson or Prince. Don't see the "franchise LT" this draft so maybe the 2012 draft (except we'll be picking in the high 20's that year... :wink:).

I think you can get good LB'ers and CB's in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Not shut-down types... but good enough. That's why I'd rather go Bowers before the CB's...

Cowherd said this week that scouts are saying Luck is the best prospect since Elway. If this is really true, I will change my stance on taking a quarterback in the first round.

At this point, I would say there is a 98% chance Luck is the first pick in the draft. If the Lions somehow ended up with the first pick, it would create quite an interesting situation.

It may seem a package deal if a team wants Luck.....Harbaugh as coach and Luck as QB for Him to come out of school .

No need to draft a QB, we need a LT and CB. This team has the making of a division contender, just need a couple more solid pieces.

The idea of the Lions drafting a QB with their first pick is ludicrous.

I think so too but the idea of passing on the best quarterback prospect since Elway is also ludicrous. I am not saying that is what Luck is...but I am saying if that is the consensus before the draft, it makes you think twice.

.........draft so maybe the 2012 draft (except we'll be picking in the high 20's that year... :wink:).

Some posters want to give up on Stafford, but if this was the case, the Lions wouldn't need a QB.

Edited by nd1377

It may seem a package deal if a team wants Luck.....Harbaugh as coach and Luck as QB for Him to come out of school .

This could be a great scenario for the Lions if a team wants to trade up to get Luck.

If the Lions draft a QB, I'd laugh. Stafford will be an elite QB if he can stay healthy. The idea of drafting a QB in the first round is crazy. They said Stafford was an elite prospect. No history of major injuries. Look what happens. Trading up for a QB when it isn't needed is just nuts.

I agree with the bulk of the posters, DE/LB/CB in the first. We need something on the offensive line because we just can't open a hole to save our lives. Pass protection seems better than recent years. I just want a linebacker who can actually make a tackle. There is no way Fred Jackson should make us look like a pee-wee football team by how poorly we tackle.

I was also one of the people who said to draft Curry over Stafford. I'd gladly be eating my words if Stafford could stay healthy for more than 2 games.

Edited by BigBoiKzoo