froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

Both could play any LB spot in a 4-3. There's a lot to like about Wilson's straight line speed, but he lacks the instincts for me to consider him at #13.

I agree with you 100%! If he slipped into the 2nd round..... maybe another story! I think his unique athletic skills for a man his size makes him an interesting project. Think he could start right away or would he need a year or two? I think he would probably start right away with the Lions just because of lack of depth right now...

Bowers could probalby play DE in a Wade Phillips style 1 gap 3-4, but I think his pass rush ability is too minimalized in that role. That's his greatest asset, his ability to sack the QB.

I think his pass rushing abilities are good, only 5.5 sacks this year I believe, but he's also VERY good against the run. I honestly think he'd thrive in a Ryan defense, but would be good in any 3-4.

I think his pass rushing abilities are good, only 5.5 sacks this year I believe, but he's also VERY good against the run. I honestly think he'd thrive in a Ryan defense, but would be good in any 3-4.

Bowers had 15.5 sacks this year. Dont know if you missed the 1.

I really hope Wilson isnt in the discussion at 13.

From Today's Free-Press;

Yet another writer for CBSSports.com, Rob Rang, goes with USC lineman Tyron Smith for the Lions. But, Rang says the Lions could get creative with this first round pick. "Also, keep this pick in mind for a potential trade out. There is a strong belief that the Rams and Dolphins with the next two picks are targeting [Alabama wide receiver Julio] Jones (Rams) and his former Alabama teammate, running back Mark Ingram (Dolphins). With that in mind, there might not be a team in better position to trade down than the Lions."

Bowers had 15.5 sacks this year. Dont know if you missed the 1.

I really hope Wilson isnt in the discussion at 13.

Ah, I had a brain fart and was thinking of Cam Jordan for some reason...my bad...

I really wouldn't mind getting Hankerson later in the middle of the draft. I've always been impressed with him. We don't need a speed guy. He's big and runs a solid 40 time. He seems a little slow off the ball at that concerns me a bit, but he plays his size and has been lights out in the red zone in college. He'd be a good #3 IMO and possibly replace Burleson long term.

I don't know...I'd love to see some real speed on the other side of calvin johnson....Burleson underneath....that would be a great deterence to doubling CJ and make Jahvid Best out of the back field a fourth option...plus the TE's...WOW !

Hankerson is probably in late 1st-mid 2nd range right now, and that said, while I think he'll be a good NFL player, he'll be the type of guy I'd hate on the Lions. Frustratingly inconsistent, the drops would piss me off, yet at the end of the year his stat line will probably be solid.

Hankerson is probably in late 1st-mid 2nd range right now, and that said, while I think he'll be a good NFL player, he'll be the type of guy I'd hate on the Lions. Frustratingly inconsistent, the drops would piss me off, yet at the end of the year his stat line will probably be solid.

I don't see him going late first-mid 2nd at all. He's a third rounder at best imo. I wouldn't like him on the team at all.

What is wrong with speed? The fast WR at the combine (Edmund Gates) was also extremely strong at catching the ball. He'd be absolutely perfect. He would scare teams away from rolling coverages toward CJ, or suffer the consequences. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round, since it's such an important position.

I don't want Hankerson. He's not what we need. What we need is a burner, as cruzer1 said. We need someone in the Desean Jackson mold (Titus Young), that can run deep routes all day. If at the end of the game you see a stat line of: 4 rec, 120 yds, 1-2 TD....they did their job. Even with 0 TD's that WR would be stretching the field and the defense.

Ideally:

WR1 (CJ): a mulit-faceted WR that can do anything. Vertical, over the middle, catch and run, blocking, jump balls, reverses...absolutley anything (and is great at everything...wow)

WR2: a speedy, vertical threat. Deep routes, the occasional WR screen/catch and run.

WR3: (Burleson) Not afraid to go over the middle. Tough, run after the catch-type. Burleson has the flashy, run after the catch-type moves to navigate through the middle of a defense.

All of this would provide big opportunities for Best and the run game. I think with the addition of a good guard, we could be a lethal offense. We are marginal with our backup QB's, but with Stafford, I think our offense can be elite. I wouldn't be opposed to see a few offensive picks for us in this draft, to get that side of the ball taken care of.

I wouldn't mind adding these things,but make no mistake, we were damn tough to stop with what we already had last year.

I wouldn't mind adding these things,but make no mistake, we were damn tough to stop with what we already had last year.

Yes, I agree completely. I think if Stafford had been at QB for the entire season, we would have been even better. I'm just saying that if we are going to add these couple things to the offense, do it this year, and get it done with. That way there are no excuses for picking a bunch of offensive players in the next few drafts (with the exception of needing to replace older players...ie: OL) We desperately need defensive depth, and I'm hoping to see it addressed over the next 2, if not 3 drafts.

The excuse for adding a bunch of offensive players is that touchdowns matter. The key to a defense is a dominating defensive line. The key to an offense is an arsenal of weapons. I like four of our defensive ends and three of our defensive tackles. We have one game changing offensive weapon in CJ, one potential home-run hitter in Best and a great trio of TE's (one of which is little more than a 6th OL). We are lacking at least one starting WR (either as a 2 or in the slot) and obviously need depth behind them. We only have 2 WR's that are legitimately worthy of an NFL roster.

Edited by Stormin' Norman

The excuse for adding a bunch of offensive players is that touchdowns matter. The key to a defense is a dominating defensive line. The key to an offense is an arsenal of weapons. I like four of our defensive ends and three of our defensive tackles. We have one game changing offensive weapon in CJ' date=' one potential home-run hitter in Best and a great trio of TE's (one of which is little more than a 6th OL). We are lacking at least one starting WR (either as a 2 or in the slot) and obviously need depth behind them. We only have 2 WR's that are legitimately worthy of an NFL roster.[/quote']

Preventing touchdowns matters just as much! All I said was that I want them to address any offensive concerns this year, so that it can be set for a little while.

I've done a first draft 3 round mock, still have a lot of tweeking to do. Right now I have the Lions taking OT Tyron Smith in the first, CB Curtis Brown in the second and OLB KJ Wright in the 3rd. I still have a lot of grading to do outside of the top 50 players, so I went a little need based after that...may be more accurate that way anyway without free agency prior to the draft.

I've done a first draft 3 round mock, still have a lot of tweeking to do. Right now I have the Lions taking OT Tyron Smith in the first, CB Curtis Brown in the second and OLB KJ Wright in the 3rd. I still have a lot of grading to do outside of the top 50 players, so I went a little need based after that...may be more accurate that way anyway without free agency prior to the draft.

I think the Cowboys are all over Smith, and will take him before the Lions get a chance. I think Prince falls, and the Lions take him in the first, and Jimmy Smith in the 2nd.

I think the Cowboys are all over Smith, and will take him before the Lions get a chance. I think Prince falls, and the Lions take him in the first, and Jimmy Smith in the 2nd.

I think that's a distinct possibility...I have them taking Prince right now.

Akeem Ayers ran two 40's in the 4.70-4.75 range at pro day yesterday. An improvement from his terrible combine but still very slow for an athletic linebacker.

Holy crap, that would be amazing. Add an OLB in 3rd. :happy:

Akeem Ayers ran two 40's in the 4.70-4.75 range at pro day yesterday. An improvement from his terrible combine but still very slow for an athletic linebacker.

Not that horrible for his size and his tape don't lie. He's not a 4-3 OLB probably, but he's a good 3-4 SOLB

I think that's a distinct possibility...I have them taking Prince right now.

With so many guys rising, I think its a distinct possibility. Sit tight, don't say anything and get our guy, I love it. Just need some guys like Julio,Tyron Smith,Cam Jordan,Aldon Smith etc. to move ahead of us.

With so many guys rising, I think its a distinct possibility. Sit tight, don't say anything and get our guy, I love it. Just need some guys like Julio,Tyron Smith,Cam Jordan,Aldon Smith etc. to move ahead of us.

I know Julio will go before our pick...if he doesn't, we'll have a trade down partner. I love Cam Jordan, I'd be happy if he were our pick, reminds me a lot of KVB...just goes to work and has a great motor. Aldon Smith is a project, but in 2-3 years he could be a Kearse type player. Another guy that make shock a few and go well ahead of where he's being projected is Jabaal Sheard, wouldn't be suprised if a team like NE takes him with their first pick.

I really hope that whichever team selects Cameron Jordan in the 1st also takes USC TE Jordan Cameron in the later rounds. That would be awesome.

NFL has reinstated Detroit's 7th-rd pick, taken away in tampering case. Lions lose 2012 pick instead.

Which 2012 pick? What about the swapped 5th rounders?

EDIT: Found the answer, they still swap 5ths this year and a 6th next year if they make the playoffs, 7th if they don't. League figures this year's picks are more valuable than next because of the labor situation. Also, Lions represented by the man the Union should have chosen as Director. Lions get seventh-round pick back in 2011 draft | ProFootballTalk

EDIT2: TSE in with the first published comment!

Edited by sagnam