froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

So we lose a 7th rounder and drop 8 spots in the 5th? Meh, for illegally contacting a player, it's not THAT harsh.

I cannot disagree more....The Lions have limited draft choices in the first place, plus, if free agency is detrimentally affected by the lockout, then this is the only avenue to upgrade the roster. It is a black smudge on a franchise that has had many problems and they seem to continue !!!

I cannot disagree more....The Lions have limited draft choices in the first place, plus, if free agency is detrimentally affected by the lockout, then this is the only avenue to upgrade the roster. It is a black smudge on a franchise that has had many problems and they seem to continue !!!

No, it's not that harsh. It's a slap on the wrist.

Also, the Lions get an extra 7th round next year from Seattle for Tyler Polumbus, another they had claimed off waivers, then traded.

My first full first-round mock of the year. Heading to Indy tomorrow which, I'm sure, will shake this up quite a bit.

Analysis and Rationale can be found on BR:

1. Carolina (2-14)--Cam Newton (QB Auburn)

2. Denver (4-12)--Da'Quan Bowers (DE Clemson)

3. Buffalo (4-12)--AJ Green (WR Georgia)

4. Cincinnati (4-12)--Nick Fairley (DT Auburn)

5. Arizona (5-11)--Blaine Gabbert (QB Mizzou)

6. Cleveland (5-11)--Patrick Peterson (CB LSU)

7. San Francisco (6-10)--Von Miller (OLB Texas A&M)

8. Tennessee (6-10)--Prince Amukamara (CB Nebraksa)

9. Dallas (6-10)--Nate Solder (OT Colorado)

10. Washington (6-10)-- Tyron Smith (OT USC)

11. Houston (6-10)--Marcell Dareus (DE Alabama)

12. Minnesota (6-10)--Cameron Jordan (DE California)

13. Detroit (6-10)--Anthony Castonzo (OT Boston College)

14. St. Louis (7-9)--Julio Jones (WR Alabama)

15. Miami (7-9)--Mark Ingram (RB Miami)

16. Jacksonville (8-8)--Robert Quinn (DE North Carolina)

17. New England - Aldon Smith (OLB Mizzou)

18. San Diego (9-7)--JJ Watt (DE Wisconsin)

19. New York Giants (10-6)--Jimmy Smith (CB Colorado)

20. Tampa Bay (10-6)--Adrian Clayborn (DE Iowa)

21. Kansas City* (10-6)--Phil Taylor (NT Baylor)

22. Indianapolis* (10-6)--Derek Sherrod (OT Mississippi State)

23. Philadelphia* (10-6)--Akeem Ayers (OLB UCLA)

24. New Orleans* (11-5)--Mikel LeShoure (RB Illinois)

25. Seattle* (7-9)--Jake Locker (QB Washington)

26. Baltimore* (12-4)--Torrey Smith (WR Maryland)

27. Atlanta* (13-3)--Kyle Rudolph (TE Notre Dame)

28. New England* (14-2)--Gabe Carimi (OT Wisconsin)

29. Chicago* (11-5)--Mike Pouncey (OG Florida)

30. New York Jets* (11-5)--Justin Houston (OLB Georgia)

31. Pittsburgh* (12-4)--Aaron Williams (CB Texas)

32. Green Bay* (10-6)--Corey Liuget (DT Illinois)

My first full first-round mock of the year. Heading to Indy tomorrow which, I'm sure, will shake this up quite a bit.

Would you take Vince Young, if available, over Newton, Gabbert, or Locker?

All due respect to MSchottey - I don't think there's any way the Lions take an OT in the Round 1.

Good article on Solder this morning in the Free Press:

'Best player' philosophy will guide Lions in NFL draft | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Almost no one thinks an offensive lineman the caliber of Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz is available in April's NFL draft. Ex-Colorado offensive line coach Denver Johnson, now at Tulsa, is the exception.

"I'm going to be very surprised if someday we're not talking about Nate Solder the way we talk about Munoz and Jackie Slater and people like that," Johnson said Tuesday. "He's just immensely, immensely talented."

Though that's high praise for a converted tight end not projected to go in the top 10 of most mock drafts, Johnson said Solder, the Buffaloes' starting left tackle the last three years, is worth it.

"You can't watch this guy work out and not say, 'Wow,' " Johnson said. "I mean, I slapped him on the *** out there one day and I've got a quarter horse in Tennessee that doesn't have an *** on him like that. He's just a physically gifted guy and a smart guy, and just a good, good person."

Solder, 6-feet-8 and 315 pounds, will have a chance to prove his former position coach right beginning today when more than 300 of the top prospects gather in Indianapolis for what promises to be an intriguing NFL combine.

I think there is a chance the Lions take a OT in the 1st round.

Tyron Smith has already won in the combine, weighing in at 307 lbs., which is a huge number for him. He would move up my board because of that.

All due respect to MSchottey - I don't think there's any way the Lions take an OT in the Round 1.

90% of the mockers have the Lions taking OT right now.

Which means nothing.

In response to what I was quoting, it means that many more than Schottey feel this way and there are lots of scenarios where the Lions take OT in round 1.

Tyron Smith has already won in the combine, weighing in at 307 lbs., which is a huge number for him. He would move up my board because of that.

I’ve been reading this thread religiously and seen his name pop up a few times. I’m a huge reader of Walter football and he changed his pick to Smith. I like this kid… But before I get head over heals in love with him, just wondering what your guys take is on his work ethic and the now trendy character issues is.

I’ve been reading this thread religiously and seen his name pop up a few times. I’m a huge reader of Walter football and he changed his pick to Smith. I like this kid… But before I get head over heals in love with him, just wondering what your guys take is on his work ethic and the now trendy character issues is.

I would say his work ethic is great. The knock on him was his weight, they wanted him to bulk up, and according to cruzer he has added about 25 pounds coming into the combine. I want to see how the combine turns out to make a fair judgment. Not convinced we will take a OT though, definitely a possibility though.

I would say his work ethic is great. The knock on him was his weight, they wanted him to bulk up, and according to cruzer he has added about 25 pounds coming into the combine. I want to see how the combine turns out to make a fair judgment. Not convinced we will take a OT though, definitely a possibility though.

The little I’ve read about Smith that’s the one thing I notice is missing… work ethic and character issues. Sad state when you almost except to see something about a players character or work ethic. Thanks for the input.

I’ll be happy with either OT or best defensive player available with the #13 pick.

The only knock remaining on Tyron Smith is that he hasn't played LOT in college. It will come down to an evaluation at the combine if his pass blocking skills are elite or if he is more of a ROT. I don't think we'll get to see him try to pass block an elite OLB or DE before the draft. I think he's a bit of a gamble but highly talented.

Edited by osurower

And 37 inch arms. That's HUGE. He's in the middle of the first round right now.

I like to slowly get into mock drafts and the offseason for the NFL (especially with the CBA this year), so this is my first offseason anything...

I figure their first round Big Board right now will probably look like....

1. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

2. Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

3. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

4. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

5. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

And their free agency (cross fingers) would be...

1. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Oakland Raiders

2. Quintin Mikell, SS, Philadelphia Eagles

3. Jammal Brown, OT, Washington Redskins

That's it... For now

I've seen a lot of top LT's in my years, and Tyron Smith looks every bit like he should be picked in the top five of this draft.

Costanzo's combine drill work was the 2nd most impressive I've ever seen, behind only Joe Thomas.

There are only two OL I would be interested in at 13, that is Costanzo and Smith.

When it comes to this year's draft, I think Mayhew and Co. will refine their BPA philosophy. I'm 99% sure that they will choose the highest rated player out of LB, CB, and OT. I would be suprised to see Mayhew go with a tackle though.

One guy I really like in the 2nd round (if he falls, which is very iffy) would be Rahim Moore from UCLA. He's a natural ballhawk-centerfield type, and I would be comfortable moving Delmas to SS. Personally, I don't think Brandon Harris would be a reach at number 13. It just seems like he is. IMO, he is on par or better than Amukamara. Coordinators ignored his side of the field this year, and he has very good ball skills. He has the speed to run with NFL recievers, and recovers very fast from any missteps. I think he will turn out to be very good in the NFL (Ed Reed was undervalued coming out as well.....pick #24 in 2002) Regardless...any of those top 3 CB's would make my day.

As for the LB's, we know that Schwartz like big thumpers at LB if he can get them. I think when we look at LB in the draft and FA, look closely at LB's with size. Ayers, Miller (I think he can fit us very well), and Bruce Carter (rd. 2-3 due to legal issues) would all be good fits, and are players to keep an eye on. I don't think we even give Greg Jones a glance (unless we see him in round 4 or later).

I think Backus can be left alone for a year, two at the most. The positions that desperately need upgrading are: C and RG. Peterman is a fool, and we won't be going anywhere but 5 yards backwards if he continues to play. He tries to act like a tough guy, but he is mentally weak, and not all that great physically either. Opponents get inside his head, and we succumb to false starts and chop blocks. He needs to go. Raiola is undersized, and average at best. I like his heart, and maybe he has a future as a coach or something, but I want him out. I like the centers from Penn St. and USC in this draft. The guard from Florida St. (Hudson) is a mauler, and I'd love to have him.

My ideal first three rounds (assuming no trading up or down): 1. Brandon Harris 2. Rahim Moore 3. Bruce Carter (freefall)

OR

1. Von Miller 2. Aaron Williams (CB-Texas) 3. Rodney Hudson (G-FSU)

Mix and match these as you may, but there are so many more players that I would be happy with this year: Von Miller, Peterson, Amukamara, Harris, Moore, Ayers, Quinn, Moffit, Irving, A Williams, Bowers, Kerrigan, Sherrod, T Young. (of course these are not all 1st and 2nd rounders, but guys I'd be happy to have) And this only scratches the surface. I think we will absolutely pick up 2 good LBs and 3 good DBs between the draft and FA. I have faith in Mayhew, and there is finally a bright future for us to look forward to.

BOTH chop blocks called on Peterman in that game were a farce and the league made the ref apologize for that garbage about "inciting" the DL man...and rescinded the fines....Peterman when healthy is an average RG, but he is in his decline phase and grabbing a 4th rd replacement for 2013 is good call...

BOTH chop blocks called on Peterman in that game were a farce and the league made the ref apologize for that garbage about "inciting" the DL man...and rescinded the fines....Peterman when healthy is an average RG, but he is in his decline phase and grabbing a 4th rd replacement for 2013 is good call...

The decline phase? He just turned 29, he is in his prime.