froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

The earliest I would think about a QB is the 4th, though I'd rather pick one in the 5th or later.

We're not in the position to be drafting a QB at all.

We're close to making a run at the playoffs, need a few key pieces, and you people want a QB?

Are you serious?

We're not in the position to be drafting a QB at all.

We're close to making a run at the playoffs, need a few key pieces, and you people want a QB?

Are you serious?

I follow the theory that you always want to be developing a young quarterback to develop into a backup, starter, or trade bait (depending on the state of the rest of the QBs on the roster). If you think Zac Robinson is that guy, then we don't need to draft anyone.

I follow the theory that you always want to be developing a young quarterback...

Not at the expense of upgrading your team though.

If you were Atlanta ... sure, I'd agree. New England, I'm with you.

Not Detroit. Not right now, sorry.

I follow the theory that you always want to be developing a young quarterback to develop into a backup, starter, or trade bait (depending on the state of the rest of the QBs on the roster). If you think Zac Robinson is that guy, then we don't need to draft anyone.

Zac has already had a year of development so I don't see cutting him for anybody in the later rounds for whom we'd be starting over again.

If you're talking about using a 1st or 2nd on a QB, that's a luxury pick that a better team than the Lions could make. We have too much invested in Stafford, too good a backup in the wings, and too many holes on defense to go that route.

I don't believe Shaun Hill is going to take this team to the Super Bowl and I don't have insight into Zac Robinson's practice performance to believe he will either. Stafford has had a hard time getting onto the field and there is a chance 2011 will continue this trend. I would rather spend a 3-4 round pick on a QB to hopefully be behind Stafford and Hill than wait until the 2012 draft to select someone should Stafford again have injury issues. I think/hope the 2012 season is the beginning of a Super Bowl window and I don't want to spend it without a QB.

Spending a third round pick on a QB -- right now, is stupid.

Thanks for such succinct and insightful commentary.

I am about 100% sure the Lions will not draft a QB because they have other needs to get them closer to the playoffs. They can't waste a draft pick on a QB.

Let's just hope Stafford can stay healthy.

I am about 100% sure the Lions will not draft a QB because they have other needs to get them closer to the playoffs. They can't waste a draft pick on a QB.

They could draft one in the later rounds that they think is better than Zac if they don't think Stanton will return. I would expect them to.

Is this the same Stafford that you think all fans and teammates agree is a "china doll"? Seems odd that you think there is such overwhelming opinion that he is brittle, yet you don't want to address that by picking another QB?

That's right about where he should go.

Would he fit? I keep reading he's a 3-4 rushing OLB. On the other hand, he's the same size as Dansby.

You can get good interior lineman almost at any point in the draft. I like Pouncey, but he might not be the elite player that Hutchinson or his brother or Iupati were.

By the accounts I am reading, Pouncey is on the same level as those guys you mentioned.

You can get good interior lineman in later rounds (obviously...this can be said about any position) but they are not going to have the upside of Pouncey and will have more risk involved. One thing about drafting interior lineman in the first round, they are very low risk compared to other positions. It is highly unlikely Pouncey will bust. And I think the value of having a dominant interior lineman is higher than most believe.

That said, at this point, I would take Miller or Ayers first. But if both those guys are gone and we are choosing between guys like Clayborne, Solder, Kerrigan, etc, then I start thinking about reaching for Pouncey.

Would he fit? I keep reading he's a 3-4 rushing OLB. On the other hand, he's the same size as Dansby.

He's very versatile, could fit a lot of schemes. He could play mike or sam in a 4-3, or inside or outside in a 3-4. He's got a lot of value.

He's very versatile, could fit a lot of schemes. He could play mike or sam in a 4-3, or inside or outside in a 3-4. He's got a lot of value.

Sounds intriguing. Also sounds like a guy that might get picked by a good team, like the Steelers, at the very end of the 1st round.

Is this the same Stafford that you think all fans and teammates agree is a "china doll"? Seems odd that you think there is such overwhelming opinion that he is brittle, yet you don't want to address that by picking another QB?

You think that they should draft a QB in the later rounds when the Lions have other needs? The Lions should assume Stafford is going to get injured?

He has clearly been injured and as I said before, I hope he can stay healthy next season and beyond. If he gets injured early next season and is out the rest of the season, it is time to draft and/or sign another QB.

Edited by nd1377

You think that they should draft a QB in the later rounds when the Lions have other needs? The Lions should assume Stafford is going to get injured?

He has clearly been injured and as I said before, I hope he can stay healthy next season and beyond. If he gets injured early next season and is out the rest of the season, it is time to draft and/or sign another QB.

I'm just saying that it appears contradictory when you say that everyone knows the guy is a china doll, then say that they have no need to draft another QB.

Every team, except maybe 3-4, has a lot of needs. Nearly every team loses their QB for a some amount of time during a season. Like it or not back-up QBs, play a pretty significant role in a lot of years. If you don't have viable back-up and want to compete, you have to sign or draft one.

Thanks for such succinct and insightful commentary.

It's a stupid move, so I'm not sure how much more insight your looking for.

We're a building team with a franchise, former #1 QB, taken only two years back. Tell you what, show me the teams that have done that .. and then taken a QB in the third round a couple of years later, and we'll discuss it from there.

How about that?

If there were a QB you liked later, like Cruzer indicated, that's one thing. Later, as in .. 6th or 7th round .. later.

I'd disagree, but that's not the third round, where you should get a player that will actually play.

Edited by JonBenke

I'm just saying that it appears contradictory when you say that everyone knows the guy is a china doll, then say that they have no need to draft another QB.

Every team, except maybe 3-4, has a lot of needs. Nearly every team loses their QB for a some amount of time during a season. Like it or not back-up QBs, play a pretty significant role in a lot of years. If you don't have viable back-up and want to compete, you have to sign or draft one.

As a Lions fan, I hope Stafford can remain injury free the rest of his career.

The way I see it is if he gets injured early next season and is out the rest of the season, it doesn't matter who the backup is because the season will be lost anyway.

Watched some of the south squad's SR Bowl practice this evening...I thought OG Danny Watkins from Baylor looked good. Big , strong kid who seems to take instruction well based on how quickly he responded to correction from the coaches. He's altrready 26 years old...so maybe he'll slip into the 3rd round or later.

I also liked the slot WR from TCU...Kerley. Good hands, seemed to have pretty good straight line speed and can also return kicks. Be interesting to see what his 40 time is.

I normally don't like discussing trades in the draft on this message board (because invariably everyone wants to trade down for more picks) but I think so highly of Patrick Peterson that I am wondering what it would take to move up and get him. I will throw this out there with the disclaimer that I could be way off. Our first two draft picks, Jahvid Best, Cliff Avril, and potentially Shaun Hill (to a quarterback needy team) to move into the top 3 and draft Patrick Peterson. Too much? Too little? Thoughts?

Did you watch the LSU vs TX A&M bowl game? Peterson was getting torched in that game. They were directly throwing at him for much of the game.

If the Lions trade their first two picks, Best, Avril, and Hill just to move up to take Peterson, I may have to seriously examine being a Lions fan even harder than I have before. And that is saying a lot.

Our first two draft picks, Jahvid Best, Cliff Avril, and potentially Shaun Hill

I'd rather keep those guys and draft Ryan Mallet with the 13th pick, that's how much I like this trade proposal.

I'd rather keep those guys and draft Ryan Mallet with the 13th pick, that's how much I like this trade proposal.

I wouldn't touch Mallet with a ten foot pole. Jimmy Clausen 2.0: a better version than the original (better arm), but with too many of the same problems (he's a jerk that no one likes and he has a long, slow delivery. Think Byron Leftwich, only everyone hates him).

The Lions need to trade down and get more picks or stay put. They won't be able to go up to get anyone in the top 5 because they don't have multiple first rounders.

I'd much rather see them go balls out for Asomough than trade up to get Petersen. Someone will fall to 10-13; draft the BPA (unless it's a QB, which it won't be because the QB class sucks) and keep building the team.

A healthy Stafford and a decent draft means a Lions playoff bid next season (if there is a season). Stay the course, build the team from the front lines out and keep up the rebuilding. Baby steps. If this Bears team can make it to the conference championship, the Lions can too.

I was making a joke Buddha ;)

I agree though, trade down for more picks or best player available, except for a QB (duh).

Titus Young would be a perfect fit for the Lions in the 2nd, if he lasts that long. He's the most impressive player I've seen in Mobile.

Titus Young would be a perfect fit for the Lions in the 2nd, if he lasts that long. He's the most impressive player I've seen in Mobile.

Would you take him in the 2nd round if you spent your first pick on Mark Ingram?