froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

There are going to be higher ranked olb and ot available...both are more important than a c, especially based on where we pick

When it comes down strictly to draft grade, I think Pouncey may be on the same level as Ayers and Miller. I guess you could put Miller slightly ahead. The question comes down to what we need more. I think we have one worthwhile interior lineman out of three spots so that is need in my mind.

As far as OT goes, I like Tyron Smith a lot but there is a wide range of opinions on him and I am not sure really if he is worth the 13th pick or not. One week I think he is and then the next week I am not so sure. This is kind of the case with all the offensive tackles.

When it comes down strictly to draft grade, I think Pouncey may be on the same level as Ayers and Miller. I guess you could put Miller slightly ahead. The question comes down to what we need more. I think we have one worthwhile interior lineman out of three spots so that is need in my mind.

As far as OT goes, I like Tyron Smith a lot but there is a wide range of opinions on him and I am not sure really if he is worth the 13th pick or not. One week I think he is and then the next week I am not so sure. This is kind of the case with all the offensive tackles.

We need OLB more than Interior line and its not close IMO. And you can get solid interior lineman later in the draft, only 1 or so goes in round 1, you can get the 2nd or 3rd best with our 2nd rd pick

I guess it depends on how highly you value an elite interior lineman. I think he would add a lot to our team but I can also see the other side that says we are too weak in the back seven of the defense to draft an interior lineman. I will say this...I don't think corner is a realistic option right now unless somebody soars up the draft boards in the coming months.

You can get good interior lineman almost at any point in the draft. I like Pouncey, but he might not be the elite player that Hutchinson or his brother or Iupati were.

I like John Moffitt somewhere in the 3rd-5th round range. Not certain yet where he is rating... will depend on the combine I think. Big guy (6'4" +/- IIRC, and ~325#'s). Played alot of Center at Wisconsin. Don't know if he's good there. But he was at Guard the last year or so, and Center before that. I have this guy high on my wish list and hope he falls to us in the 4th.

I don't want Pouncey on our board unless we trade back into the mid-20's... then I might think about it.

Otherwise, at #13... Give me Ayers or Kerrigan or Brandon Smith, or Julio Jones or... someone more valuable to the team than Pouncey.

Please, wait on the interior lineman until at least the 3rd round...

No way, taking pouncey at our pick would be horrible, there will be better players available at positions we also need

Didn't stop management from drafting a Tight End.

The tight-end position in Linehan's offense is not a luxury position. You need two good tight-ends and a solid backup to make the offense work. A backup interior lineman would be luxury. Of course if he boots Peterman out of his starting spot then I say taking Pouncey would be a good choice.

Hell, if we can't get a stud linebacker or corner back with that pick (and can't trade down), I wouldn't mind thinking about drafting a wideout over a backup offensive lineman.

The tight-end position in Linehan's offense is not a luxury position. You need two good tight-ends and a solid backup to make the offense work. A backup interior lineman would be luxury. Of course if he boots Peterman out of his starting spot then I say taking Pouncey would be a good choice.

Hell, if we can't get a stud linebacker or corner back with that pick (and can't trade down), I wouldn't mind thinking about drafting a wideout over a backup offensive lineman.

What's the difference between a first round guard and a replacement level guard? If he's a first round guard, he better be a no doubt pro bowler, or he's not worth not getting a first round value at a more important (i.e. speed) position.

Picking a TE at 20 is more of an every draft occurrence than taking a center in the top 15

Blackmon is elite. But what I am saying is there are a lot of elite receivers in the NFL so those are the guys that I want to see Prince play good against. No corner, except Revis, is going to shut down every great receiver but it is one game to look at when scouting him.

I think the corner I like best after Prince and Peterson is Curtis Brown from Texas. I haven't seen much of him or Smith though so I am just going based on some highlights and film off the internet.

Funny you mention Curtis Brown, I just watched a couple of his games. He's an interesting prospect, he's a bit lean, his reaction seems a bit slow and tackling leaves something to be desired. He does have nice coverage down field, looks very quick. I like his counterpart (Aaron Williams) a little better so far from what I've seen.

This year's CB class is very top heavy...there are about 6 1st round caliber corners, and then the bottom drops out. We could definately nab a decent corner in the second. There are a few senarios where Prince could fall to us in the first, if he doesn't I think we need to wait until the 2nd to grab a CB. Smith, Williams, or Brown will be there.

I want them to draft some angry LBs. Here are some requirements.

1. Must have rabies.

2. Must kick Mayhew in the granolas during the interview instead of shaking his hand.

3. Must have a criminal record for assault and or murder.

4. Certifiably mentally unfit and refuses to take the meds to treat it.

Yah, one stud LB is a must. I'd love to have David Harris in teh middle with levy at WLB. I'd also take Greenway on the weak side with Harris at MLB. Ayers and others are options in the draft of course. Casey Matthews is one guy I'd look at, he's angry.

I find it interesting that some think of Shaun Hill as a dime a dozen "grit" player and others think we should keep a "kung fu" grip on our valuable backup player. Wide range of opinion on our backup QB.

My point is that Hill's value right now may never be higher. Classic buy low sell high scenerio. The Lions are not yet in a position of being an elite team where we can pick and choose to keep a "luxury" item. I would not give him away, we must come out with 2 picks at least. I'm thinking a 3rd and a fifth, maybe better! With Mayhew's early track record, I would think the 3rd would be an eventual starter and the 5th a backup.

Since I missed this earlier:

Hill is far valuable to the Lions than he would be as trade bait. Stafford is coming off another major injury, so it's not like we don't need a solid backup QB. The main thing that makes Hill so valuable is that he is totally cool at being a backup QB. The less conflicts in the locker room the better.

What do you think about picking up a player like CL Rucker in the later rounds? When he is not in jail, he is a great at getting pass interference calls.

Funny you mention Curtis Brown, I just watched a couple of his games. He's an interesting prospect, he's a bit lean, his reaction seems a bit slow and tackling leaves something to be desired. He does have nice coverage down field, looks very quick. I like his counterpart (Aaron Williams) a little better so far from what I've seen.

This year's CB class is very top heavy...there are about 6 1st round caliber corners, and then the bottom drops out. We could definately nab a decent corner in the second. There are a few senarios where Prince could fall to us in the first, if he doesn't I think we need to wait until the 2nd to grab a CB. Smith, Williams, or Brown will be there.

I think there is some depth to this class. It's the best class in a while, but I need to see some raw data (40 times)...

Jerrel Jernigan: Troy

Any chance this kid falls to the Lions in the 3rd round?

I like him a lot there, but I don't think he'll fall. I'd snap him up in a second.

Since I missed this earlier:

Hill is far valuable to the Lions than he would be as trade bait. Stafford is coming off another major injury, so it's not like we don't need a solid backup QB. The main thing that makes Hill so valuable is that he is totally cool at being a backup QB. The less conflicts in the locker room the better.

I agree.

What do you think about picking up a player like CL Rucker in the later rounds? When he is not in jail, he is a great at getting pass interference calls.

Never in a million years, he's a walking red flag.

Also, at 255 lbs., I would certainly consider Kerrigan at 13; I think he's a better player than Ayers. I think he could be an impact SAM for the Lions, but that's a projection.

Resigning Stanton is a better option of wasting a draft pick on a QB.

I don't think it is wasting a pick at all. I would rather have a quality young QB on the roster that can step in if Stafford proves to be injury prone. I don't think Hill is a QB that can win a Super Bowl and I don't want to wait until the 2012 draft to have a backup plan in place. I think this is a fairly deep QB draft without the high end talent, and a diamond in the rough could be found. If Stafford proves he's healthy and the developmental QB works out, there is always the trade possibility like the Falcons did with Vick and Schaub.

My thought process implies that the QB is the BPA.

Edited by osurower

I don't think it is wasting a pick at all. I would rather have a quality young QB on the roster that can step in if Stafford proves to be injury prone. I don't think Hill is a QB that can win a Super Bowl and I don't want to wait until the 2012 draft to have a backup plan in place. I think this is a fairly deep QB draft without the high end talent, and a diamond in the rough could be found. If Stafford proves he's healthy and the developmental QB works out, there is always the trade possibility like the Falcons did with Vick and Schaub.

If you're talking about using a 1st or 2nd on a QB, that's a luxury pick that a better team than the Lions could make. We have too much invested in Stafford, too good a backup in the wings, and too many holes on defense to go that route.

Spending a third round pick on a QB -- right now, is stupid.

Spending a third round pick on a QB -- right now, is stupid.

The earliest I would think about a QB is the 4th, though I'd rather pick one in the 5th or later.