froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

I don't trade down a top 5 (or 8) pick for a backup/ stopgap QB and a later 1st. I just don't.

If you have NO qb and your JOB is on the line Shawn Hill's resume looks pretty good to me. Remember Kurt Warner had NO resume when his career as a stopgap started...you never know

When you ask anyone to lose that much weight it makes me cringe to think of spending a top 5 pick on them. He could ultimately end up at safety if he can't drop the weight...his talent is undeniable, I think he has a high ceiling, his technique needs a little work. Other than that and his weight I have no real issues with him as a player. I do, however, think PA has a higher ceiling, I see a lot of Asomugha in him...no one threw his way this year, he's a physical tackler, great press man CB, good hands and vision (converted RB). His only knock is not having elite speed, but few do, he still runs a 4.5.

Amukamara is not as fluid or athletic or Peterson. He is still very athletic but Peterson is just a freak. I thought Justin Blackmon outplayed Amukamara this year and he is going to see a lot more receivers like Blackmon in the NFL.

Ask any SF fan if they missed Hill last season.

No thanks to all of the talk regarding getting rid of him. He was our saving grace this past season.

Ask any SF fan if they missed Hill last season.

No thanks to all of the talk regarding getting rid of him. He was our saving grace this past season.

Glad to see you appreciate his value. However, I would hardly classify my

thoughts as 'getting rid of him'.

The way I see it is if Stafford gets injured early next season and is out the rest of the season, the season is lost. I put his importance that high.

I don't care who the backup is because from what I have seen from Stafford, they are not as good as he is.

If you have NO qb and your JOB is on the line Shawn Hill's resume looks pretty good to me. Remember Kurt Warner had NO resume when his career as a stopgap started...you never know

You're going to equate Hill with Kurt Warner? Really?

You're going to equate Hill with Kurt Warner? Really?

I'm equating Shawn Hill to a 28 year old supermarket stock boy who had no NFL resume at all. If Shawn Hill was available after the injury to Green, history may have been different.

I'm equating Shawn Hill to a 28 year old supermarket stock boy who had no NFL resume at all. If Shawn Hill was available after the injury to Green, history may have been different.

Yeah, the Rams would not have won the Super Bowl that year.

No one is going to swap first round picks with the Lions in order to get Shaun Hill.

They might get a 4th or 5th rounder for him, but they definitely won't be able to use him to move up in round one. That's insane. Backup NFL QBs who rely on grit more than talent are a dime a dozen.

Kurt Warner also took the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl and were very close to winning it.

IMHO, if Hill is the Cardinals starter, they probably don't make the playoffs.

Amukamara is not as fluid or athletic or Peterson. He is still very athletic but Peterson is just a freak. I thought Justin Blackmon outplayed Amukamara this year and he is going to see a lot more receivers like Blackmon in the NFL.

First off, Blackmon is elite, didn't he break Fitz's record for most yards as a sophmore? He missed a game too...the kid is ridiculous. If you look at his stats this year, his game against Nebraska was his worst of the season so that says something to Prince's shut down ability. If you take away the one big play he had that game (a trick play that Prince bit on) he was held to 4 catches for 77 yards and a TD. I thought Amukamara did a decent job on him all day, he got beat twice by possibly the best WR in college FB.

I won't deny Peterson is a better athlete than Prince, that's obvious, I'm just making a case for how good Amukamara is. He's a top 5 pick in this draft IMO, I think he's better than Joe Haden.

Another player that's rising is Jimmy Smith out of Colorado, I think he'll make it into the first round. He reminds me a lot of Cromartie, great combination of size, speed, and athletic ability...but he's just as bad in run support. I think he'll be this years Kyle Wilson.

I can believe anyone is considering trading away our quality backup, especially when there's a whole thread about jumping ship if Stafford gets hurt again next year. Unless a Roy Williams type trade comes up, you hold onto Hill with a kung fu death grip.

First off, Blackmon is elite, didn't he break Fitz's record for most yards as a sophmore? He missed a game too...the kid is ridiculous. If you look at his stats this year, his game against Nebraska was his worst of the season so that says something to Prince's shut down ability. If you take away the one big play he had that game (a trick play that Prince bit on) he was held to 4 catches for 77 yards and a TD. I thought Amukamara did a decent job on him all day, he got beat twice by possibly the best WR in college FB.

I won't deny Peterson is a better athlete than Prince, that's obvious, I'm just making a case for how good Amukamara is. He's a top 5 pick in this draft IMO, I think he's better than Joe Haden.

Another player that's rising is Jimmy Smith out of Colorado, I think he'll make it into the first round. He reminds me a lot of Cromartie, great combination of size, speed, and athletic ability...but he's just as bad in run support. I think he'll be this years Kyle Wilson.

Blackmon is elite. But what I am saying is there are a lot of elite receivers in the NFL so those are the guys that I want to see Prince play good against. No corner, except Revis, is going to shut down every great receiver but it is one game to look at when scouting him.

I think the corner I like best after Prince and Peterson is Curtis Brown from Texas. I haven't seen much of him or Smith though so I am just going based on some highlights and film off the internet.

Edited by Hart

No one is going to swap first round picks with the Lions in order to get Shaun Hill.

They might get a 4th or 5th rounder for him, but they definitely won't be able to use him to move up in round one. That's insane. Backup NFL QBs who rely on grit more than talent are a dime a dozen.

This is right. All I did was suggest using Hill as a piece to move up in the draft and somehow it escalated into another argument about trading Shaun Hill. I can't believe there is actually this much debate over a backup quarterback.

anyone questioning Hill's value just watch what is going on in Chicago.

The only similarity I see is that Detroit would be doomed without Stafford just like Chicago is doomed without Cutler. Except that Chicago's defense is holding them in the game right now.

I don't know how many follow McShay and Kiper's mock drafts but here are a few things I thought interesting:

1. Both have Pouncey going in the top 20. Given our problems with Peterman and now Raiola, I think he has to be an option for us.

2. Both have Von Miller going before the Lions pick. What is really interesting though is that both have Miller going to 4-3 teams and both think he can be a 4-3 SAM linebacker.

3. Both have Nate Solder going in the top 15. I have never liked Solder but I guess he has to be an option for us. However, I will say I think there is more uncertainty about offensive tackle ratings this year than any other position.

No way, taking pouncey at our pick would be horrible, there will be better players available at positions we also need

No way, taking pouncey at our pick would be horrible, there will be better players available at positions we also need

I guess it depends on how highly you value an elite interior lineman. I think he would add a lot to our team but I can also see the other side that says we are too weak in the back seven of the defense to draft an interior lineman. I will say this...I don't think corner is a realistic option right now unless somebody soars up the draft boards in the coming months.

Backup NFL QBs who rely on grit more than talent are a dime a dozen.

I'd say backup NFL qb's who sit rather than play are a dime a dozen. Hill has game, experience, cheap contract and yes....value. Starting qb value, it's insane to deny he couldn't be a starter when he did it credibly all year with a poor team.

If the right situation presents itself, he will be dealt.

I'm sure it's one reason Mahew gave him a 2 year deal.

One more thing about Pouncey. He becomes even more valuable in bad weather during the playoffs when you have to rely on the running game. Just thinking out loud as I watch the playoffs.

I find it interesting that some think of Shaun Hill as a dime a dozen "grit" player and others think we should keep a "kung fu" grip on our valuable backup player. Wide range of opinion on our backup QB.

My point is that Hill's value right now may never be higher. Classic buy low sell high scenerio. The Lions are not yet in a position of being an elite team where we can pick and choose to keep a "luxury" item. I would not give him away, we must come out with 2 picks at least. I'm thinking a 3rd and a fifth, maybe better! With Mayhew's early track record, I would think the 3rd would be an eventual starter and the 5th a backup.

My point is that Hill's value right now may never be higher. Classic buy low sell high scenerio. The Lions are not yet in a position of being an elite team where we can pick and choose to keep a "luxury" item. I would not give him away, we must come out with 2 picks at least. I'm thinking a 3rd and a fifth, maybe better! With Mayhew's early track record, I would think the 3rd would be an eventual starter and the 5th a backup.

I agree, but I don't know if you can get that much value for him.

My main point of view is that if Stafford goes down early in the season and is out the rest of the season, no backup QB will make a difference or lead the Lions to the playoffs. It doesn't matter who the backup is because they will not make much of a difference anyway.

I guess it depends on how highly you value an elite interior lineman. I think he would add a lot to our team but I can also see the other side that says we are too weak in the back seven of the defense to draft an interior lineman. I will say this...I don't think corner is a realistic option right now unless somebody soars up the draft boards in the coming months.

There are going to be higher ranked olb and ot available...both are more important than a c, especially based on where we pick