froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

If you believe that's his ceiling, sure. I've seen many reports/mocks that have him in the range of the 3rd or 4th round. I believe the kid's way better than Zac Freekin Follett.

At linebacker I'd agree. At special teams I believe you'd be wrong. I'm always amused how little credit special teams gets by the average fan when about 20% of football is won or lost on special teams.

At linebacker I'd agree. At special teams I believe you'd be wrong. I'm always amused how little credit special teams gets by the average fan when about 20% of football is won or lost on special teams.

Does the 20% include the placekicker?

If we could somehow sign Asamugha and then draft Ayers (or maybe Aldon Smith?) in the 1st and Dontay Moch in the 2nd...

I'm going to be feeling pretty damn good about our defense entering the '11 Season.

Edit: Might as well put out my full draft wish list (after signing Nnamdi, of course!!!):

1st: Ayers

2nd: Moch

3rd: Any safety in the Robert Sands, Duenta Williams, Rahim Moore mold. (Whichever of these guys falls to us in the 3rd would be fine with me... prolly Duenta w/ the broken leg...)

4th: John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin.

5th: Cecil Shorts, WR, out of Mount Union.

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

I'd rather have the Lions take the best DE available rather than Ayers.

Build the lines!!!!

I'd rather have the Lions take the best DE available rather than Ayers.

Build the lines!!!!

Don't get this. Ayers can rush the passer as good as any defensive end that we are going to get at 13. So unless you really think we need an all around defensive end on the line, I just don't get this.

I would support drafting a defensive end if that player was clearly the best player available. But I doubt that is the case.

Don't get this. Ayers can rush the passer as good as any defensive end that we are going to get at 13. So unless you really think we need an all around defensive end on the line, I just don't get this.

I would support drafting a defensive end if that player was clearly the best player available. But I doubt that is the case.

In a 4-3, Ayers isn't going to be spending the majority of his time rushing the passer. And he's not nearly big enough to play end in a 4-3.

If he's the BPA, then take him. But I'm not so sure he will be. Not if there's a solid Defensive lineman available. And this draft is full of dlinemen.

Ayers is going to be a monster OLB'er, even in a 4-3. He'll be great in pass defense too, he's not just a pass rusher. Take him.

When I look at Ayers, I see a bigger, more versatile version of Ernie Sims. Finesse player that doesn't get off blocks or tackle well and lacks toughness (obviously). Looks great in college when he's faster than everyone else but will struggle when he has to rely on natural LB skills.

I'd say Ayers is closer to JP than Sims. He's a big time boom or bust guy though. I don't see any "in between" with him.

Ayers and Sims have no physical similarities whatsoever. They are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Ayers is infuriating to watch. He makes plays, he has great ball skills, and is terrific in coverage; but he doesn't break down well in the open field, and I don't like the way he tackles.

Ayers and Sims have no physical similarities whatsoever. They are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Did anyone say they had physical similarities? Ayers is obviously bigger.

Did anyone say they had physical similarities? Ayers is obviously bigger.

Either way, you pretty much nailed him.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Moch move way up the charts. Talent wise, he's a top 15 pick.

The thing I do like about Ayers is the versatility. He could grow into a nice speed rush DE or even improve tackling and be a great SAM. Its so hard to judge a guy with talent among a group of losers. He's always played with losers and been coached by losers, so its only natural that he developed loser tendencies.

The thing I do like about Ayers is the versatility. He could grow into a nice speed rush DE or even improve tackling and be a great SAM. Its so hard to judge a guy with talent among a group of losers. He's always played with losers and been coached by losers, so its only natural that he developed loser tendencies.

He did play with Tampas 2nd rounder Brian Price last year. I wouldnt draft Ayers at 13. I agree with your previous thoughts.

Ayers is infuriating to watch. He makes plays, he has great ball skills, and is terrific in coverage; but he doesn't break down well in the open field, and I don't like the way he tackles.

I think Gunther would kick his *** and then he'd become a great tackler.

I'll take his coverage and pass rush abilities to start with and then work from there. Diamond in the rough.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Moch move way up the charts. Talent wise, he's a top 15 pick.

That's why I'd love to steal him in the 2nd.

I agree with you though... I think he's going to rocket up the charts... similar to Urhlacher.

Tyron Smith thoughts.

If one of the elite DE's arent there, I think he is a good direction to go towards.

I like Smith, and I have to watch him more. He's got some growing to do, if he's a finished product he's not bulky enough for my taste. Right now he's got a 2nd round grade, but we'll see how he tests.

Drafttek gave me (I pushed them a little bit in the 1st couple rounds...!):

1st: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

2nd: Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada

3rd: Deunta Williams, FS, N Carolina

4th: John Moffitt, OG/C, Wisconsin

5th: Roy Helu, RB, Nebraska

6th: Greg Little, WR, N Carolina

I like Ayers. reminds me of Boss Bailey in that he is a great athlete playing football except he is a better football player than Boss.

Also, i don't think its just me but didn't Spivey(sp?) play tremendously better at the end of the year. I know he improved in tackling for sure. Even with a transition from being drafted as a corner and as a rookie switching to safety and making productive starts cannot be easy. if he didn't i would love to hear otherwise. My point being, if Spivey got better(again IMO a lot better) then why spend a high round pick on a safety. Get your LB, CB and OL in the first 4-5 rounds and pick up a WR late.

I like Ayers. reminds me of Boss Bailey in that he is a great athlete playing football except he is a better football player than Boss.

Also, i don't think its just me but didn't Spivey(sp?) play tremendously better at the end of the year. I know he improved in tackling for sure. Even with a transition from being drafted as a corner and as a rookie switching to safety and making productive starts cannot be easy. if he didn't i would love to hear otherwise. My point being, if Spivey got better(again IMO a lot better) then why spend a high round pick on a safety. Get your LB, CB and OL in the first 4-5 rounds and pick up a WR late.

Except for a few positions like TE, they need the best player available.