froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

Erik, dork.

I'd mock Buddha as well on this point, but my initial thought when I read his comment was "Wasn't Sean Salisbury the Vikings back-up in '91?" It was actually Wade Wilson, but I was close enough to still feel pretty darn old...:rambo:

-Tony

I'm not going to read this entire thread but has anyone talked about the Lions taking Mike Pouncey And moving undersized Raiola to Gaurd?

Pouncy is 6'5" 309lbs and the #1 center (if not #1 O Lineman in the draft)

Raiola is 6'1" 295lbs and gets dominated every game.

Pouncey would only be getting misguided considered at center. Terrible center, excellent guard. Wisniewski is the best center.

And Wisniewski is very similar to Raiola. The Lions might need more depth, like a fourth rounder with upside who can play various positions inside right now, but they are fine on the line.

And Wisniewski is very similar to Raiola. The Lions might need more depth, like a fourth rounder with upside who can play various positions inside right now, but they are fine on the line.

I still think our run-blocking was pretty horrendous for most of year. Football outsiders had them as the worst unit in the NFL this past season. While I don't think their formula is great (not enough put on the RB), the disparity in yards per carry between the left and right sides of our line is pretty telling.

-Tony

I agree with this statement. We basically need a interior version of Jason Fox in next year's draft. Someone who will hopefully be a starter in two years or three years.

I still think our run-blocking was pretty horrendous for most of year. Football outsiders had them as the worst unit in the NFL this past season. While I don't think their formula is great (not enough put on the RB), the disparity in yards per carry between the left and right sides of our line is pretty telling.

-Tony

The run blocking improved as the defense improved. The pass defense was so bad at the beginning of the year that the Lions were forced out of their running game by halftime.

I'd give the run-blocking another year with these starters & concentrate on improving the back 7 on defense.

UGA junior LB Justin Houston declared today. Probably a 3-4 guy, but had a solid year.

Wasn't advocating it, I agree. I would consider a guy like Moffitt, Linnenkohl or O'Dowd in the 4th-5th.

Edited by froggyvk

UGA junior LB Justin Houston declared today. Probably a 3-4 guy, but had a solid year.

I think most are viewing him as a 3-4 OLB, probably because Georgia switched to it and he had a monster year, but I think he's better with his hand in the dirt. I could see a team like Atlanta, who likes smaller DEs like Abraham and Biermann, nabbing him late in the first.

The more I watch the playoffs, the more I think the Lions should draft Akeem Ayers. You need great athletes on defense to win in the playoffs in the NFL.

The more I watch the playoffs, the more I think the Lions should draft Akeem Ayers. You need great athletes on defense to win in the playoffs in the NFL.

He's not a stack and shed linebacker. They need guys like Mark Herzlich and Dontay Moch.

I can't be objective on Mark Herzlich...if He's healthy , He's the one ...but nobody knows.... The Lions' already have one Herzlich in the front office...put one on the field...maybe 3-4th round in my perfect world !! Probably go to New England or Jets though !

I think that drafting Pouncey shifts Peterman to the role of backup, a role I'm much more comfortable having him in. No one's doubting Pouncey's talent and the guys you'd want to draft to fill needs will either be gone at #13 (Prince, Peterson) or not quite the right fit for our system (Ayers, Von Miller). Why the hangup about Pouncey?

I can't be objective on Mark Herzlich...if He's healthy , He's the one ...but nobody knows.... The Lions' already have one Herzlich in the front office...put one on the field...maybe 3-4th round in my perfect world !! Probably go to New England or Jets though !

Herzlich is a risk, but I take him in the 4th if he's there. I love the energy he brings to the field, put him and Levy out there at WLB/MLB in some combination and you have something. Let Carpenter and Palmer fight for SLB, maybe Dizon too.

I have been thinking about him a lot lately. I think he could be a difference maker as a SLB, similar to a young Petersen actually. He'd bring an additional pass rush threat to the table too. Not sure we need "stack and shed" guys in this defense so much as athletes. Size is nice though and Ayers has that.

If you move Levy to the outside, you can draft a Greg Jones or a Nate Irving in the 3rd, negating the need to take Ayers. Or, you can keep Levy inside and take Jeremy Beal in the 3rd. I just think taking a LB in the first round is a reach, none of these guys really stand out to me.

IMHO, we're in the position where we can take BPA in this draft, and the only place we're going to find the BPA at #13 is the OL, with Pouncey.

I think that drafting Pouncey shifts Peterman to the role of backup, a role I'm much more comfortable having him in. No one's doubting Pouncey's talent and the guys you'd want to draft to fill needs will either be gone at #13 (Prince, Peterson) or not quite the right fit for our system (Ayers, Von Miller). Why the hangup about Pouncey?

Traditionally guards don't go in the first round unless they're VERY good (Iupati, Hutchinson). Pouncey is no where close to that level.

and the only place we're going to find the BPA at #13 is the OL, with Pouncey.

& this is just not true -- I have Pouncey as a mid/late second rounder

I think most are viewing him as a 3-4 OLB, probably because Georgia switched to it and he had a monster year, but I think he's better with his hand in the dirt. I could see a team like Atlanta, who likes smaller DEs like Abraham and Biermann, nabbing him late in the first.

Agreed...He's a 3-4 guy. I do think the switch gets a little more credit for his success than its deserved. He was coming into his junior season and played on a defense that lost its top 3 DTs the previous year and really had no other pass-rushers. To put up the kind of numbers he did in that situation was pretty impressive -- though I'm obviously biased.

-Tony

Fair enough, Froggy. Where else can we get the highest-rated player at their position at #13, though? Safety? ILB? TE? It just seems to me that Pouncey will be the best (or at least highest-rated) player at a position that could use some reinforcements. And that's the last I'll say about that.

I actually DO think we need a safety to complement Delmas, though, so what does everyone think about Mark Barron or Robert Sands in the 3rd-4th round?