froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

You dont think Goddell knows that fans want a deal done? I dont think getting signatures of fans and sending it to the league offices is going to make a difference.

this. the idea that a petition would help is laughable, especially since Goodell isn't the one who can get it done. The players and owners both have to agree. The players are going to have to give a little back and the owners have to understand that it's not giong to be as much as they like. NFL owners are making plenty, they need to chill out a bit. They have billion dollar TV deals, they sell most of their tix and plenty of merchandise too. They are the #1 sport out there. An 18 game season is not doable either, I really hope they give it up. It's just so stupid.

Haven’t paid attention to Nick Fairley a lot this year. I have heard he’s a dirty player and he showed it last night. Anyways, my question is this… Mushburger compared him to Suh last night. Was that just overhyping a kid or is he really worthy of such high praise? Based on one game, my gut says he’s got bust written all over him. And that’s with him having a good game! I have no other reason behind this other then he just doesn’t have IT in my opinion. He looks like a tubby nerd with his helmet on and looks stupid. I’m not being sarcastic either he literally looks stupid with his helmet on.

I was paying close attention when he made the comparison between Suh and Fairly. He didnt say they had similar styles but that they had the same effect. I would disagree slightly. Fairly is similar to Warren Sapp in his hey day. He is very quick off the snap. I know, it's surprising looking at Fairly and thinking he's quick but he is. He is not a power guy though. And he was a dirty player all throughout the year. Youtube Fairly hitting the Georgia QB about 2 seconds after throwing the ball.

Im pretty sure Musberger comparison was something to the effect that he thought it was going to be a while until he saw a DT dominate a game like Suh did, but he was wrong because Fairley is doing it. Im not sure if he meant all year or just that game.

Are you guys joking? Online petitions ALWAYS get the job done!

Hey, online petitions stopped WWI did'nt it?

Im pretty sure Musberger comparison was something to the effect that he thought it was going to be a while until he saw a DT dominate a game like Suh did, but he was wrong because Fairley is doing it. Im not sure if he meant all year or just that game.

Was it Musburger or was it Herbstreit? I was at work for part of the game, so I didn't hear a lot during that point, but once I got home I heard Herbstreit going nuts about Fairley with the Suh comparisons. I don't want to take anything away from Fairley (even though he does have the reputation of being a dirty player), and honestly didn't see enough Auburn games to make a fair comparison, but I have to admit the comparisons during the Championship game were starting to get on my nerves. The guy had a hell of a game, but that whole D-Line deserved credit against Oregon's O-Line, not just Fairley alone.

Edited by EatEmUpTigers711

I'm just going to enjoy the fact the Lions have a dominate player that is the measuring stick for his position.

I'm just going to enjoy the fact the Lions have a dominate player that is the measuring stick for his position.

+1

I watched some of the youtube stuff on Fairley and yup he's dirty, but man that kid has a motor. Might be in short bursts but he's got a motor. I like the Sapp comparison also. Wish the kid luck in whatever he does, I just think he's got bust written all over him. Just my gut feeling.

Hey, online petitions stopped WWI did'nt it?

Ah, the days when Western Union charged by each letter transmitted. Now that was a monopoly!!

Dear Kaiser stop

War sucks stop!

Get 'er done.

Edited by keystone

Was it Musburger or was it Herbstreit? I was at work for part of the game, so I didn't hear a lot during that point, but once I got home I heard Herbstreit going nuts about Fairley with the Suh comparisons. I don't want to take anything away from Fairley (even though he does have the reputation of being a dirty player), and honestly didn't see enough Auburn games to make a fair comparison, but I have to admit the comparisons during the Championship game were starting to get on my nerves. The guy had a hell of a game, but that whole D-Line deserved credit against Oregon's O-Line, not just Fairley alone.

I thought Fairley played decent against Oregon. I didnt see the Incredible Hulk though lol. Oregon's offense is scheme specific and many times they didnt even block Fairley since he was the player Oregon's QB was supposed to key on many plays. You could say he was good at diagnosing who was going to get the ball which says something about his read and react abilities.

Cam Newton leaves Auburn for NFL draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 13, 2011, 9:17 PM EST

In news that should come as a surprise to no one, Auburn’s Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton is leaving school to enter the NFL draft.

“This decision was difficult for me and my family,” Newton said. “I think it is best that I make that next step in my career and forgo my senior season and enter the NFL Draft. It was a very hard decision for me, especially after coming off the great season we had at Auburn. I’m blessed to have been around an excellent environment and have great teammates, coaches and support from the Auburn family.”

Opinions diverge on what kind of pro player Newton will be: He’s a great athlete with a good arm, but he hasn’t played in a pro-style offense, and his considerable skills in the spread attack won’t necessarily translate to the NFL.

Of course, whether Newton is ready for the pro game or not, he’s surely ready to leave college and the constant NCAA scrutiny he’s endured during his season at Auburn.

Cam Newton leaves Auburn for NFL draft | ProFootballTalk

“This decision was difficult for me and my family,” Newton said.

So Newton talks to his family when he makes decisions?

I thought his dad only made the decisions based on the ruling with the NCAA. Cam Newton had no idea on what his dad was doing.

If there is one college QB who has enough money to last through the NFL lockout, it's Cam Newton.

Very well said! And I'll add this;

If some of those "personal fouls" that were called on Suh are called on Fairley, he may get 3 or 4 per game. Sure, he looks very dominate, but he needs to be coached properly to stop the late hits. If the right team takes him and coaches him properly, he may be very dominate. But those late/cheap hits could kill his career, he needs to learn when NOT to hit the QB.

They showed one highlight where he sacked the QB, caused a fumble AND recovered it. Just totally dominate.

McShay didn't have a lot of praise for Fairley. He said he watched at least 6 plays he took off.

McShay didn't have a lot of praise for Fairley. He said he watched at least 6 plays he took off.

I always felt like this criticism was pretty overrated for DTs. If your 300 pounds and having to fight through double-teams all day, it makes sense that you're going to tire and take the occasional play off (especially if you're not Ndamukong Suh). The offensive lines still have to account for you.

On the back-up QB/play-off issue...Wasn't Kramer technically the back-up in '91? I agree completely with cruzer and key's main point though.

-Tony

I always felt like this criticism was pretty overrated for DTs. If your 300 pounds and having to fight through double-teams all day, it makes sense that you're going to tire and take the occasional play off (especially if you're not Ndamukong Suh). The offensive lines still have to account for you.

On the back-up QB/play-off issue...Wasn't Kramer technically the back-up in '91? I agree completely with cruzer and key's main point though.

-Tony

Yes, he was.

-Tony

How do you know you're old? When you remember the Vikings' QB depth chart from 1991...

How do you know you're old? When you remember the Vikings' QB depth chart from 1991...

Erik, dork.

I'm not going to read this entire thread but has anyone talked about the Lions taking Mike Pouncey And moving undersized Raiola to Gaurd?

Pouncy is 6'5" 309lbs and the #1 center (if not #1 O Lineman in the draft)

Raiola is 6'1" 295lbs and gets dominated every game.

I'm not going to read this entire thread but has anyone talked about the Lions taking Mike Pouncey And moving undersized Raiola to Gaurd?

Pouncy is 6'5" 309lbs and the #1 center (if not #1 O Lineman in the draft)

Raiola is 6'1" 295lbs and gets dominated every game.

Who dominates him every game? Need bigger player at guard. 13 is way too high for the other Pouncey.