froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

Guys, in the interest of making the draft this year really count, we need to prevent a lockout! That's why I wanted to let you know about a petition going on right now to prevent it, on behalf of the NFLPA.

I'd love to get more hardcore fans on board.

The fans have no say in the matter. Spammer!

I would like to see us sign a UFA like Arian Foster. We need to get lucky like that.

Robert Hughes?

It depends on the offer, but teams are not offering as much to trade up as they have in the past. They usually want lower picks coming back to balance the number of picks in the deal.

I believe it depends on the CBA. For example, say a team drafts a player and signs him to a six year contract. But the team has the option of dropping the player after three years into his contract and not having to pay the rest of his contract. Something like that would really attract trades into the first few picks.

I kind of like Ryan Kerrigan for a first round pick. And if Greg Jones is there in the third that would be a good pick. Some might say the defensive line is already good enough. I would say it's not deep enough. The defensive line gets the most tired out of all football players. Cant have enough players on dline to relieve the starters. Plus, there's a very good chance Kerrigan would start. Take talent over position.

I kind of like Ryan Kerrigan for a first round pick. And if Greg Jones is there in the third that would be a good pick. Some might say the defensive line is already good enough. I would say it's not deep enough. The defensive line gets the most tired out of all football players. Cant have enough players on dline to relieve the starters. Plus, there's a very good chance Kerrigan would start. Take talent over position.

Where did Kerrigan come from? Don't the Lions have a better player from the same school already there? The Lions would get more use out of a WR like Jones or a RB like Ingram than a DE. They're really deep at that position. So deep that Willie Young never saw the field.

Where did Kerrigan come from? Don't the Lions have a better player from the same school already there? The Lions would get more use out of a WR like Jones or a RB like Ingram than a DE. They're really deep at that position. So deep that Willie Young never saw the field.

You're assuming Avril is better than Kerrigan. I believe that's a wrong assumption. And Vanden Bosch isnt getting any younger. It's possible Willie Young didnt see playing time because he wasnt all that good.

You're assuming Avril is better than Kerrigan. I believe that's a wrong assumption. And Vanden Bosch isnt getting any younger. It's possible Willie Young didnt see playing time because he wasnt all that good.

Avril is a stud, he's the "ringo" of this defensive line...except he's actually great at what he does.

I'm all for looking at a DE if its the best player available, but keeping Avril around (at the right price) is a need too. Keep re-stocking the DL pool...

Don't forget though, Lo-jack and McBride are both impact players in that rotation.

Depending upon what happens in free agency, at number thirteen the Lions will select one of the following: Ayers LB or one of CB's Amukara, Jenkins or Harris.

For the first four rounds I'd guess it would be 1. CB, 2. LB, 3. LB, 4. SS

With Luck not entering the market-value for Hill will probably increase allowing Detroit to perhaps move up if there is someone they want or get another draft choice.

Depending upon what happens in free agency, at number thirteen the Lions will select one of the following: Ayers LB or one of CB's Amukara, Jenkins or Harris.

With Luck not entering the market-value for Hill will probably increase allowing Detroit to perhaps move up if there is someone they want or get another draft choice.

Von Miller?

I can't imagine Shaun Hill getting moved. He's one of the most valubale pieces this team has at the moment and will continue to be until Stafford proves he can stay healthy for a season. One of the biggest reasons they won 6 instead of 2 was having a capable backup QB versus a Culpepper or Orlovsky.

In the interior of the line (Lions biggest OL need), Stephen Wisniewski (C/OG Penn State) would be a tiny reach at 13, but he's the best interior lineman in the draft. Could easily play RG right now and slide over to OC in the future.

Mike Pouncey would be a huge reach at the moment, but a lot of people I've talked to have him flying up draft boards because he'll impress a lot of people working out at guard (where he was All-American) rather than Center where he played this year (and struggled). He's a better athlete than his twin brother, but not the technician.

Gabe Carimi is an intriguing prospect, will probably NEVER be a LT in the pros but will be a mauler at RT. He's plug-and-play, you know you'll get an impact starter right away (but at a lesser valued position.)

Nate Solder had a rough start to the season and is still a raw prospect from Colorado, but he's the most athletic guy in the draft and if you watched his late season games (rather than reading draft sites looking at last year's tape) you see a great player.

I like Carimi a lot but the problem with drafting him is Cherilus can play one position and one position only and it is the same position as Carimi.

I don't know much about but a 6'9 left tackle worries me a bit. How is he going to handle the speed rushers of the NFL who get leverage on him? I am sure the scouts will have a much better grasp on him leading up to the draft and then I will know more.

Castonzo is never going to be a premier left tackle but I do think he can be a premier pass blocker and that means something with Stafford as our quarterback.

At this point, I really like the idea of drafting an offensive tackle with our first round pick. I am just not sure which one to draft yet or which way to go.

Yeah...I am sure the reason Willie Young never saw the field is because we are too deep.

Avril is not even on the same planet as Kerrigan. Defensive end should definitely be an option for us. It is by no means a huge need. VB is good but getting old, Avril would best be used as a third down rusher, McBride and Jackson are backups and will likely always be backups, and stud defensive ends can make a bigger impact than most other positions on the field.

I can't imagine Shaun Hill getting moved. He's one of the most valubale pieces this team has at the moment and will continue to be until Stafford proves he can stay healthy for a season. One of the biggest reasons they won 6 instead of 2 was having a capable backup QB versus a Culpepper or Orlovsky.

#2 qb's do not lead teams to the playoffs. All the teams in the playoffs got there because their #1 stayed healthy most of the season. Hill has shown himself a valuable #2 and if some team thinks he can be their #1 his value will never be higher. Stanton could take his place for a game or two but if Stafford gets hurt next year like he did this year, Shaun Hill is not going to lead Lions to the playoffs.

Hence, trade now if you can get good value.

Todd McShay says he projects to be a 3-4 LB or a 4-3 DE.

Right he's strictly a pass rush lb. He wouldn't fit in with the Lion's defensive scheme.

A PFW article said Von Miller excels in 7-on-7 drills , good coverage and movement....He'll be on tonight but it may take till Senior bowl to see for real. But he has great attitude and sounds like a quality person and player.....

Oh, don't forget....Cactus Bowl tonight at 8pm!!!

Edited by Scottish caveman

Aldon Smith just declared. Had no idea he would, but he's now my pick as the best pass rusher in this draft.

I can see Mayhew taking Miller. He's projected as a top 10 prospect so Mayhew may draft him.

I can see Mayhew taking Miller. He's projected as a top 10 prospect so Mayhew may draft him.

Maybe, that's a projection based on if he can play LB. He's not going to draft him as a DE.

Miller has to prove that he can cover tight-ends and running backs. He hasn't had to do that in college.

Miller has to prove that he can cover tight-ends and running backs. He hasn't had to do that in college.

Correct. He's usually rushing the passer in some sort of capacity. He's more of a 3-4 guy obviously, but we'll see if he could fit in the Lions D.

New England did not make the playoffs the year Cassel started

My bad. I remembered they went 11-5, but forgot the Fins beat them out for the playoffs.