froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

Btw, Schottey...I noticed who went on your drafttek after Harris...Julio Jones and Mark Ingram. Ouch. They are better players. I'd love Julio Jones opposite Megatron.

Thats an interesting thought. CJ, JJ and then Nate in the slot. But I am still inclined to look for a CB. Maybe the drop-off isnt as severe as I mentioned. Is there any chance of addressing our CB needs in free agency and then adding someone on the offensive side of the ball?

I wonder who their targets will be in FA, any ideas?

Personally, it would require a much better WR relative to alternatives vs. CB or LB (possibly OL?) or trading down for me to advocate a WR in the 1st round.

I'd like to upgrade WR, but there are bigger needs on the team, IMO.

If they re-sign Houston, the need for CB isn't that great to me. They definitely need help at LB, but I wouldn't pass up a superstar offensive player for a lesser defensive player. The Lions also have a need for a bellcow running back, and Mark Ingram is that imo.

Btw, Schottey...I noticed who went on your drafttek after Harris...Julio Jones and Mark Ingram. Ouch. They are better players. I'd love Julio Jones opposite Megatron.

Yeah, the simulation doesn't have a input for "I'd rather have the top offensive guy they really don't need."

HOWEVER, Julio Jones is a great prospect and would look great in Blue, so would Ingram, I just don't see that happening after trading up for Best last year.

RB isn't the problem with the running game, interior (and right side) OL is.

What it does mean however is how valuable that pick could be for trade!

Yeah, the simulation doesn't have a input for "I'd rather have the top offensive guy they really don't need."

HOWEVER, Julio Jones is a great prospect and would look great in Blue, so would Ingram, I just don't see that happening after trading up for Best last year.

Yeah, they have too many thousand yard rushers, and there is a lot of depth at WR...oops. They need to run the ball better, that would help the defense.

I don't see Best as an every down back, he's more useful coming in and hitting a big play. He doesn't run with enough power.

Who would be an OL target with the 13th pick? I have severely neglected looking at draft prospects this year.

If they re-sign Houston, the need for CB isn't that great to me. They definitely need help at LB, but I wouldn't pass up a superstar offensive player for a lesser defensive player. The Lions also have a need for a bellcow running back, and Mark Ingram is that imo.

Ingram played in Michigan so he probably watched the Lions, which could be good or bad.

Who would be an OL target with the 13th pick? I have severely neglected looking at draft prospects this year.

Reach.

Yeah, they have too many thousand yard rushers, and there is a lot of depth at WR...oops. They need to run the ball better, that would help the defense.

By that rationale, one could argue that since they don't have too many 4,000 yard passers, they should draft a QB, because that will help the defense.

Or, one could argue that getting better defensive players means the offense will get more possessions and/or in more favorable field position, ergo a defensive player helps offense.

As a practical matter, the impact an offensive player has on the offense is probably 10 times greater than whatever ancillary benefit the defense receives for the offense having been made better. Similarly, the benefit the Lions' offense derived from Suh being on defense is far smaller than the benefit the defense derived. So I don't find the 'draft an offensive player and it will help the defense' argument to be a compelling one.

I believe the Lions have more pressing needs than a RB or a WR. I believe that if the best player on the board when the Lions pick in the 1st round is a RB and/or a WR - AND - the best player at a position of larger need is relatively much worse, then it still is entirely possible trading down is a better option than drafting the guys you mention. But it would depend on the offer(s), obviously.

Screw needs. Take the best player, especially when it's not close. Julio Jones is better than Floyd, who toyed with Brandon Harris. They still have needs on offense.

By that rationale, one could argue that since they don't have too many 4,000 yard passers, they should draft a QB, because that will help the defense.

+1

In the interior of the line (Lions biggest OL need), Stephen Wisniewski (C/OG Penn State) would be a tiny reach at 13, but he's the best interior lineman in the draft. Could easily play RG right now and slide over to OC in the future.

Mike Pouncey would be a huge reach at the moment, but a lot of people I've talked to have him flying up draft boards because he'll impress a lot of people working out at guard (where he was All-American) rather than Center where he played this year (and struggled). He's a better athlete than his twin brother, but not the technician.

Gabe Carimi is an intriguing prospect, will probably NEVER be a LT in the pros but will be a mauler at RT. He's plug-and-play, you know you'll get an impact starter right away (but at a lesser valued position.)

Nate Solder had a rough start to the season and is still a raw prospect from Colorado, but he's the most athletic guy in the draft and if you watched his late season games (rather than reading draft sites looking at last year's tape) you see a great player.

I like the thoughts of Ingram also. With him and Best it could be similar to the running game Carolina had a couple of seasons ago, with Stewart & Williams. Put that with a potent passing attack and the offense is pretty solid. But I don't think the Lions will go that route. It wont be popular to say the least.

I like the thoughts of Ingram also. With him and Best it could be similar to the running game Carolina had a couple of seasons ago, with Stewart & Williams. Put that with a potent passing attack and the offense is pretty solid. But I don't think the Lions will go that route. It wont be popular to say the least.

I'd only be OK with that if we get assurances that they will draft another RB in the first round of 2012.

The practice of drafting the same position in consecutive drafts simply because it was BPA and a "position of need" worked so well last time.

I believe the Lions have more pressing needs than a RB or a WR. I believe that if the best player on the board when the Lions pick in the 1st round is a RB and/or a WR - AND - the best player at a position of larger need is relatively much worse, then it still is entirely possible trading down is a better option than drafting the guys you mention. But it would depend on the offer(s), obviously.

These are my thoughts exactly. If it is a reach to draft the OL/DB/LB and you have a halfway reasonable offer to trade down, IMO you have to trade down. While a 3rd wr would or Ingram would be a nice luxury to have, I just don't see them having as much improved impact over what who we could acquire otherwise as a 3rd WR or a tandem of Best and Morris as a 1st round graded LB/DB/OL would have over the next few years. There are only so many balls to go around. We already have Johnson, Burleson, Pettigrew/Scheffler (who are like 3rd WRs), and Best as players who need to touch it. Add in Morris and Logan and I think the RB situation is definitely improved next year (assuming Best's feet get healed). The 3rd WR can be gotten in FA or as a lower draft pick, or even trying Logan in the slot. Who knows, maybe Williams will even step up. To me, there just isn't the value in spending that high of a pick on RB or WR, let alone the fact that you are adding someone to take more balls away from

These are my thoughts exactly. If it is a reach to draft the OL/DB/LB and you have a halfway reasonable offer to trade down, IMO you have to trade down. While a 3rd wr would or Ingram would be a nice luxury to have, I just don't see them having as much improved impact over what who we could acquire otherwise as a 3rd WR or a tandem of Best and Morris as a 1st round graded LB/DB/OL would have over the next few years. There are only so many balls to go around. We already have Johnson, Burleson, Pettigrew/Scheffler (who are like 3rd WRs), and Best as players who need to touch it. Add in Morris and Logan and I think the RB situation is definitely improved next year (assuming Best's feet get healed). The 3rd WR can be gotten in FA or as a lower draft pick, or even trying Logan in the slot. Who knows, maybe Williams will even step up. To me, there just isn't the value in spending that high of a pick on RB or WR, let alone the fact that you are adding someone to take more balls away from

Yeah, the only way I would select a RB or WR with that pick is if someone like a AJ Green dropped like a rock. And even then I would be looking to trade the pick to someone who would value him more than us.

Screw needs. Take the best player, especially when it's not close. Julio Jones is better than Floyd, who toyed with Brandon Harris. They still have needs on offense.

What are your thoughts on trading down?

Well, we have one fewer top 13 talent to choose from:

Andrew Luck staying at Stanford

Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, the odds-on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in this spring's NFL draft, announced Thursday that he will stay in school and play his redshirt junior season. "I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012," Luck said in a statement. The school announced that Luck wouldn't be made available for comment.

The Carolina Panthers own the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft and indicated earlier this week that they would be interested in drafting Luck if he decided to leave school.

Luck led Stanford to a 12-1 finish this season and a likely top-five rating in the final BCS standings, which the program hasn't produced since 1940. Luck passed for 3,338 yards this year with 32 touchdowns. He completed 71 percent of his passes with just eight interceptions. He also rushed for 513 yards. He passed for 287 yards and four touchdowns in the Cardinal's 40-12 win over Virginia Tech in the Discover Orange Bowl.

Luck, the son of former NFL quarterback Oliver Luck, is a major reason why Stanford has gone from a one-win team in 2006 before Harbaugh arrived to one of the top teams in the country. He has led Stanford to a 20-5 record in his 25 career starts, only missing last season's Sun Bowl loss to Oklahoma with a broken right index finger.

Luck finished second in the Heisman Trophy balloting to Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

He is already being mentioned alongside John Elway, Jim Plunkett, John Brodie and Frankie Albert as one of Stanford's great quarterbacks. Stanford still awaits final word from coach Jim Harbaugh on whether he will return. Harbaugh is being courted by a number of NFL teams, including Miami, Denver and San Francisco.

Harbaugh, a former star quarterback at Michigan and in the NFL, has called Luck the greatest player he has ever been around.

Not that we would have chosen QB, but someone that would have fallen to us may not now.

I would like to see us sign a UFA like Arian Foster. We need to get lucky like that.

I would like to see us sign a UFA like Arian Foster. We need to get lucky like that.

Many of us were screaming for Lagarette Blount in the 6th ot 7th. Probably could have had him UFA. Him and Best would look really good right now.

Having no Luck in this draft throws everything off. One more player will be gone when we pick

No Luck in this draft = no luck in this draft for the Panthers.

What are your thoughts on trading down?

It depends on the offer, but teams are not offering as much to trade up as they have in the past. They usually want lower picks coming back to balance the number of picks in the deal.

Guys, in the interest of making the draft this year really count, we need to prevent a lockout! That's why I wanted to let you know about a petition going on right now to prevent it, on behalf of the NFLPA.

I'd love to get more hardcore fans on board.