froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

He did have two game winning interceptions. I just read he's getting surgery on his groin so I'm sure that slowed him down. I think he would make a fine starting OLB. I think he's playing MLB for lack of a better option.

Right place at the right time.

Look, I think he's a fine prospect who was obviously derailed by injuries this season. But don't tell me he was awesome or cant be upgraded when he clearly can.

I think Ashlee Palmer has a spot, too.

I do think the Lion's like Palmer a lot but I hope they are also smart enough to realize he is far from a sure thing and it would be wise to bring somebody in to at least compete with him. Palmer did play very well late in the season though.

Yeah, did you?

Levy wasn't that great. It's not a crime to say that, it's an observation. He played outside in college and might do well with a switch to the outside again.

During his last season, where he played well, he was very up and down. Great plays followed by bad misses. Part of that could be chalked up to inexperience.

This season he looked slower and less fluid. I think the injury was really bothering him and I hope he bounces back next year to the speed guy who could go sideline to sideline. Pair him with another big speedy linebacker and the Lions could have something...

IMO, if you DON'T think Levy fell off from last year, you are fooling yourself.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Levy was better his rookie season but inconsistent. This year he struggled, but that was probably due more to injuries.

Where I differ with you is that I think you can pencil Levy into one of the linebacker spots next year. He is young, talented, and we have far too many other holes to fill before we need to worry about replacing Levy. I would give him one more year to prove himself before bringing in somebody to replace him.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Levy was better his rookie season but inconsistent. This year he struggled, but that was probably due more to injuries.

Where I differ with you is that I think you can pencil Levy into one of the linebacker spots next year. He is young, talented, and we have far too many other holes to fill before we need to worry about replacing Levy. I would give him one more year to prove himself before bringing in somebody to replace him.

I'm not saying he should be REPLACED, I'm saying the Lions can upgrade the MLB position by improving on Levy and moving him outside. OR they could keep Levy at MLB and upgrade the outside.

I think he's a starting LB for the Lions and, if healthy, could be pretty good. It's kind of a compliment to say he could be MLB or OLB and still be effective. My only criticism is saying he was good this year. He clearly was not as he was clearly hampered by injuries.

I do think the Lion's like Palmer a lot but I hope they are also smart enough to realize he is far from a sure thing and it would be wise to bring somebody in to at least compete with him. Palmer did play very well late in the season though.

Guys like Palmer are good depth players as long as they can play special teams. Put them in the starting lineup too long and theyll probably get exposed.

Yeah, did you?

Levy wasn't that great. It's not a crime to say that, it's an observation. He played outside in college and might do well with a switch to the outside again.

During his last season, where he played well, he was very up and down. Great plays followed by bad misses. Part of that could be chalked up to inexperience.

This season he looked slower and less fluid. I think the injury was really bothering him and I hope he bounces back next year to the speed guy who could go sideline to sideline. Pair him with another big speedy linebacker and the Lions could have something...

IMO, if you DON'T think Levy fell off from last year, you are fooling yourself.

You have the right to express your opinions when you are wrong. :classic:

Ayers declared for the draft yesterday. Rotoworld's writeup on him made him sound perfect for the Lions (can play every LB spot) and projected him as a top 20 pick... Does this sound right to everyone?

I think the biggest need is LB. The secondary isn't terrible. The Lions were 24th in the NFL in opponents rushing yards and 16th in opponents passing yards. If the two big CB's are off the board, I'd go LB if they stay at 13 and look in the 2nd round for a CB since what I've heard is that this is a deeper draft for CB.

I think the biggest need is LB. The secondary isn't terrible. The Lions were 24th in the NFL in opponents rushing yards and 16th in opponents passing yards. If the two big CB's are off the board, I'd go LB if they stay at 13 and look in the 2nd round for a CB since what I've heard is that this is a deeper draft for CB.

I think if this staff's history is any indication, they'll go BPA, with any near identical grades leaning towards LBs or CBs.

The biggest need on the team is definitely outside linebacker. Peterson most likely isn't re-signing at a reduced rate and Follett's career might be over. The secondary at least has Delmas, Spivey, and hopefully Houston coming back.

Peterson most likely isn't re-signing at a reduced rate and Follett's career might be over.

Inactive for the last game, doesn't come to clear out his locker with the rest of the team, Schwartz's comments post game... I doubt he even considers playing for Detroit ever again regardless of the money.

Not a huge fan or Ayers for the Lions, sheds blocks like a kindergartner and sucks in coverage. Fine blitzer up the middle in the college game, but who isn't? He's an athletic freak in a poor LB class.

For CB, like Brandon Harris in the first and Brandon Burton or Jimmy Smith in the second.

Its a great CB class, but one almost wants to wait...grab an interior OL, or BPA in the first--knowing you can get a CB in the second.

The biggest need on the team is definitely outside linebacker. Peterson most likely isn't re-signing at a reduced rate and Follett's career might be over. The secondary at least has Delmas, Spivey, and hopefully Houston coming back.

Don't forget Alphonso.

DraftTek's first 7-rounder was just released.

1) Brandon Harris (CB-Miami)

2) Bruce Carter (LB-North Carolina)

3) Dejon Gomes (S-Nebraska)

4) Marcus Gilbert (RT-Florida)

5) Casey Mathews (LB-Oregon)

6) Jeremy Kearley (WR-Texas Christian)

7) Kheeston Randle (DT-Texas)

Thoughts?

Harris is the top CB left on the board so that's a no-brainer unless some other value pick is staring us right in the face (a top LB that shoots up or a top "can't pass lineman).

Carter is a gamble, but a decent one in the second.

I really like the Kearley pick late, speed guy, take a shot at him with a late round pick. Mathews would set up all sorts of "drama" every time we play the Packers.

Link-- http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

DraftTek's first 7-rounder was just released.

1) Brandon Harris (CB-Miami)

2) Bruce Carter (LB-North Carolina)

3) Dejon Gomes (S-Nebraska)

4) Marcus Gilbert (RT-Florida)

5) Casey Mathews (LB-Oregon)

6) Jeremy Kearley (WR-Texas Christian)

7) Kheeston Randle (DT-Texas)

Thoughts?

Harris is the top CB left on the board so that's a no-brainer unless some other value pick is staring us right in the face (a top LB that shoots up or a top "can't pass lineman).

Carter is a gamble, but a decent one in the second.

I really like the Kearley pick late, speed guy, take a shot at him with a late round pick. Mathews would set up all sorts of "drama" every time we play the Packers.

Link-- Draft Tek - NFL Consensus Mock Draft 2011 Round 1 (17-32)

I like it.....hits all the needs! Might prefer another OL in the 7th but DT is a good option. can't carp about any of the selections !!!!

Brandon Harris got lit up against Floyd in that bowl game. Carter might not be healthy next year.

Brandon Harris got lit up against Floyd in that bowl game. Carter might not be healthy next year.

This.

Brandon Harris looked awful down in El Paso. There is a big drop off at the CB position after Paterson and Prince, imo. Things are going to change so much between now and the draft based on the combine and workouts.

I like the list you put together though, well thought out.

I didnt predict, but I would have said 6-10.

For sure.

Someone lost?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Suh had a really bad bowl game last year too...Harris' entire career screams first rounder. He's a couple of inches shorter than the top two (5'10/11 vs. 6'2") but that's the only real different.

I agree its a drop off, but I don't think its as big as people think. Janoris Jenkins could be the pick there as well.

Carter won't be healthy until the preseason (if that) so he'll essentially red-shirt, but he had top 10 potential before...that's why I think it's a gamble, but a good one.

Suh had a really bad bowl game last year too...Harris' entire career screams first rounder. He's a couple of inches shorter than the top two (5'10/11 vs. 6'2") but that's the only real different.

I agree its a drop off, but I don't think its as big as people think. Janoris Jenkins could be the pick there as well.

Carter won't be healthy until the preseason (if that) so he'll essentially red-shirt, but he had top 10 potential before...that's why I think it's a gamble, but a good one.

I remember that game. He was double and triple teamed the entire game which allowed his teammates to make plays. Nebraska pitched a shutout in that game IIRC.

I think Carter will go in the second round. Remember, O'Brien Schofield was a third round prospect who tore his ACL during Senior Bowl practices and went in the 4th, and came back in Week 8 this season. Now Carter, who is a first round prospect, had his surgery six weeks earlier so conceivably he could only miss a couple of games. At worst he starts on the PUP list and is back around the same time Schofield was.

Also, with the prospect of a lockout, does the injury really deter a team from taking him early second?

Btw, Schottey...I noticed who went on your drafttek after Harris...Julio Jones and Mark Ingram. Ouch. They are better players. I'd love Julio Jones opposite Megatron.