froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

I have Luck at #32 in my Top 100, 3rd QB, after Locker and Mallett, before Ponder. Jerrod Johnson, *Blaine Gabbert, Pat Devlin, Case Keenum round out the top eight.

I have Luck at #32 in my Top 100, 3rd QB, after Locker and Mallett, before Ponder. Jerrod Johnson, *Blaine Gabbert, Pat Devlin, Case Keenum round out the top eight.

I really don't like Mallett, his feet aren't very good; and I like Johnson a lot.

I really don't like Mallett, his feet aren't very good; and I like Johnson a lot.

Can't footwork be taught though? You can't deny his arm.

What are you basing your ranking on? He has great size and mobility to go with an accurate and strong arm. Smart kid from Stanford who comes from NFL bloodlines and plays in a pro style offense for a former pro bowl QB. He passes the franchise QB eye test with flying colors.

Edited by Hongbit

I will punch small children in the face if we do not take the best available CB in the first round.

what if his mom was a prostitute?

What are you basing your ranking on? He has great size and mobility to go with an accurate and strong arm. Smart kid from Stanford who comes from NFL bloodlines and plays in a pro style offense for a former pro bowl QB. He passes the franchise QB eye test with flying colors.

It's difficult to project a redshirt sophomore QB, especially one going to Stanford. He has played one college season at the most demanding position.

Would a sophomore QB really leave early? Just how high would a NFL team draft a sophomore QB? Would an NFL team draft a sophomore QB in the top of the draft only to sit him for a season? Maybe. If he was going to Washington State or Cincinnati, sure... he might leave, but Stanford is a school that is about all about education and I'm not convinced that he will declare in 2011. Locker didn't declare in 2010 and Bradford passed on the 2009 draft. Both were considered high picks. It happens... and they were juniors (three years of starting in college). That said, I do feel he has the talent to be a top 5 pick. My problem is... in what year? If I felt he was a top 5 pick after the 2010 season, then I would include him in a Mock Draft... but as of right now he's played only one season.

IMO, putting him in the top ten after "only" one season is crazy. Too much can happen. See: Jevan Snead, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy. Would he come out just to get selected behind Locker and Mallett? I doubt it. If Luck has a good 2010 season, he could decide to declare, but until that happens... I'm thinking it's best to keep him out of mocks.

I included **RB Ryan Williams from Virginia Tech. in the Mock because the life expectancy for a RB is relatively short and he will be splitting carries in 2010 with returning junior Darren Evans. He may want to strike while the memory of his 2009 season is still fresh in the minds of NFL brass.

Can't footwork be taught though? You can't deny his arm.

Not really, he's not athletic enough. He's got a long release also. I love his arm, but he's been erratic. He reminds me of Derek Anderson.

I'm kind of curious to see some mock 2010 drafts that were made right after the 2009 draft

Mock drafts shouldn't be taken so seriously, but they are a decent source of trying to rank the talent level in the draft, and matching with team needs.

It's difficult to project a redshirt sophomore QB, especially one going to Stanford. He has played one college season at the most demanding position.

Would a sophomore QB really leave early? Just how high would a NFL team draft a sophomore QB? Would an NFL team draft a sophomore QB in the top of the draft only to sit him for a season? Maybe. If he was going to Washington State or Cincinnati, sure... he might leave, but Stanford is a school that is about all about education and I'm not convinced that he will declare in 2011. Locker didn't declare in 2010 and Bradford passed on the 2009 draft. Both were considered high picks. It happens... and they were juniors (three years of starting in college). That said, I do feel he has the talent to be a top 5 pick. My problem is... in what year? If I felt he was a top 5 pick after the 2010 season, then I would include him in a Mock Draft... but as of right now he's played only one season.

IMO, putting him in the top ten after "only" one season is crazy. Too much can happen. See: Jevan Snead, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy. Would he come out just to get selected behind Locker and Mallett? I doubt it. If Luck has a good 2010 season, he could decide to declare, but until that happens... I'm thinking it's best to keep him out of mocks.

I included **RB Ryan Williams from Virginia Tech. in the Mock because the life expectancy for a RB is relatively short and he will be splitting carries in 2010 with returning junior Darren Evans. He may want to strike while the memory of his 2009 season is still fresh in the minds of NFL brass.

A very fair assessment.

I personally think that he will go pro and that he's more likely to leave because he's at Stanford. He's smart enough to know if you have the option, it's better to get paid millions for what you do than to do it for free. I also think Stanford will be looking for a new head coach after next year which should play a role in the decision.

No way the Lions are drafting around 8. They will be drafting at position 31 or 32.

I'm kind of curious to see some mock 2010 drafts that were made right after the 2009 draft

Jevan Snead was going #1 in a lot of them. That in itself is all you need to know considering where he actually went, haha.

Jevan Snead was going #1 in a lot of them. That in itself is all you need to know considering where he actually went, haha.

That is absolutely ridiculous....Jevan effing Snead going #1? I wish there was some sort of site that kept track of how off the very early mocks were (maybe there is & I just don't know). How could they even put him ahead of Bradford at that point when people were saying Bradford was a top QB if he came out last year too.

Sometimes I'd like to meet some of these guys just to make fun of things like this. Or ask Mel Kiper how that Mike Williams pick worked out that he was so in love with at the time.....

Way too early for this type of stuff....but

National, the draft scouting source used by many nfl teams came out with its top 25 prospect list Tuesday

Prince Amukamara, Adrian Clayborn are top 2011 NFL Draft prospects - NFL - SI.com

1. Prince Amukamara - CB - Nebraska

2. Adrian Clayborn - DE - Iowa

3. Mark Herzlich - OLB - Boston College

4. Allen Bailey - DL - Miami

5. Von Miller - OLB - Texas AM

6. Greg Romeus - DE - Pitt

7. Marvin Austin - DT - North Carolina

8. Christian Ponder - QB - FSU

9. Jake Locker - QB - Washington

10. Stephen Paea - DT - Oregon St

11. Anthony Castonzo - T - Boston College

12. Pernell McPhee - DE - Miss St

13. Stefen Wisnieski - C - Penn St

14. Jeremy Beal - DE - Oklahoma

15. Ross Homan - LB - Ohio St

16. DeMarcus Love - T - Arkansas

17. DeMarco Murray - RB - Oklahoma

18. Niles Paul - WR - Nebraska

19. Jimmy Smith - CB - Colorado

20. Ras-I Dowling - CB - Virginia

21. Jabaal Sheard - DE - Pitt

22. Jerrell Powe - DT - Ole Miss

23. Bruce Carter - OLB - UNC

24. Derek Sherrod - DT - Miss St

25. Rodney Hudson - G - FSU

Here is a write up on the upcoming possible season long Ponder v. Locker debate

Jake Locker vs. Christian Ponder will be 2011 NFL Draft debate - Andrew Perloff - SI.com

1. Get ready for the QB debate.

Washington's Jake Locker and Florida State's Christian Ponder are tied for the top rating among senior quarterbacks, but they present very different packages to the NFL. Locker stands out for his physical skills, a strong arm and running ability. Ponder has been called more NFL ready despite not possessing prototypical size.

Locker showed under coach Steve Sarkisian that he can be more of a passer and that he doesn't have to take off as often. The NFL has shown little interest in running quarterbacks at the top of the first round, so Locker will have to keep developing in the pocket to be a top-10 pick. Even though his numbers improved last season (21 TDs, 11 INTs, 58.0 completion percentage), he's not there yet.

Meanwhile, Ponder scored a 34 on a preseason Wonderlic test and has already earned his MBA. He completed 68 percent of his passes last year and seems like he could adjust quickly at the next level. One of the potential negatives for Ponder is that his coach, Jimbo Fisher, made JaMarcus Russell look a lot better than he was at LSU. Ponder clearly doesn't have Russell's work ethic, so it's not fair to compare the two quarterbacks.

Why do I have the feeling we'll be revisiting this debate next April? Don't be surprised if the lower-profile Ponder is the one who ends up hearing his name called first.

I think the #1 prospect out of the gate (and it is early in the process) right now is Robert Quinn of NC. He's a rare type of end that usually impacts a defense on every down.

I'm rooting for Herzlich to come back and show that he's just as healthy as he was before his diagnosis. I believe that if he never had cancer, played last year and been in the draft this year, he would have been a Lion and not Suh. He's a beast.

I'm rooting for Herzlich to come back and show that he's just as healthy as he was before his diagnosis. I believe that if he never had cancer, played last year and been in the draft this year, he would have been a Lion and not Suh. He's a beast.

He's good, he's not Suh good.

He's good, he's not Suh good.

Are you telling us Suh good is as good or better than Reggie White was?

Are you telling us Suh good is as good or better than Reggie White was?

He's similar. We'll have to see, but White was great, and played a different position.

Here's a mock draft I worked up the other day.

Order--Vegas Odds (Payout per $100 bet)

1. St. Louis Rams +$14,000 Robert Quinn (DE North Carolina)

2. Buffalo Bills +$12,000 Jake Locker (QB Washington)

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers +$10,000 Mark Ingram (RB Alabama)

4. Detroit Lions +$10,000 Patrick Peterson (CB LSU)

5. Kansas City Chiefs +$10,000 AJ Green (WR Georgia)

6. Oakland Raiders +$10,000 Marvin Austin (DT North Carolina)

7. Cleveland Browns +$8,500 Julio Jones (WR Alabama)

8. Jacksonville Jaguars +$5,500 Christian Ponder (QB Florida State)

9. Arizona Cardinals +$5,500 Anthony Costanzo (OT Boston College)

10. Carolina Panthers +$5,500 Adrian Clayborn (DE Iowa)

11. Seattle Seahawks +$5,000 Gabe Carimi (OT Wisconsin)

12. Denver Broncos +$5,000 Prince Amukamara (CB Nebraska)

13. San Francisco 49ers +$3,700 Andrew Luck (QB Stanford)

14. Houston Texans +$3,000 Stefen Wisniewski (OG Penn State)

15. Washington Redskins +$2,900 Michael Floyd (WR Notre Dame)

16. Chicago Bears +$2,900 Cameron Heyward (DT Ohio State)

17. Miami Dolphins +$2,800 Ryan Williams (RB Virginia Tech)

18. Philadelphia Eagles +$2,800 Dont'a Hightower (LB Alabama)

19. Tennessee Titans +$2,700 DeAndre McDaniel (S Clemson)

20. Cincinnati Bengals +$2,700 Jonathan Baldwin (WR Pittsburgh)

21. Atlanta Falcons +$2,300 Kyle Rudolph (TE Notre Dame)

22. Pittsburgh Steelers +$1,800 Joseph Barksdale (OT LSU)

23. New York Giants +$1,600 Jared Crick (DT Nebraska)

24. New York Jets +$1,200 Jerrell Powe (NT Mississippi)

25. Baltimore Ravens +$1,200 Akeem Ayers (LB LSU)

26. Minnesota Vikings +$1,100 Stephen Paea (DT Oregon State)

27. Green Bay Packers +$1,000 Ras-I Dowling (CB Virginia)

28. New England Patriots +$950 Clint Boling (OG/OT Georgia)

29. Dallas Cowboys +$900 Greg Romeus (DE/OLB Pittsburgh)

30. San Diego Chargers +$850 Von Miller (DE/OLB Texas A&M)

31. New Orleans Saints +$800 Marcell Dareus (DT Alabama)

32. Indianapolis Colts +$650 Joseph Pinkston (OG/OT LSU)

We've had a couple strong draft classes in row. It's only natural to have a year with a weaker talent pool and it looks like 2011 could be that year.

Am I way off base here or no?