froggyvk

2011 NFL Draft

What's the chance that Mark Herzlich is healthy enough to be the second round pick for the Lions. Too many questions about his future or did his improved play down the stretch make it more possible ?

What's the chance that Mark Herzlich is healthy enough to be the second round pick for the Lions. Too many questions about his future or did his improved play down the stretch make it more possible ?

I really don't know what is going to happen with him. It all depends on the medical, and the Lions have plenty of trouble already there. I really like him as a player.

He's (Hudson) not elite though. He's not even in the conversation for what the Lions should be looking at (defense, players like Carter, OLB, CB's, safeties, etc...) with a high 2nd rounder. They can't waste it on a mediocre crop of offensive linemen. It's just my opinion. There might be a better time to restock the OL, but not now. This is a great QB, WR, DL, CB (especially) draft. The Lions can get rich quick on defense, and I think steal a nice WR in the middle rounds. This should be a heavy defensive draft, and I'd be shocked if the Lions didn't invest 5-6 choices on defense.

I guess the only reason he may not be considered elite is because he is only 280 lbs. But from what I read, everything he does on the field is elite.

I assume you are talking about Bruce Carter. No thank you. I think interior line is probably the third biggest need on the team, after cornerback and linebacker. I would say the Lions can take BPA with their second round pick, excluding the positions safety, defensive tackle, running back, quarterback, and receiver.

I really don't know what is going to happen with him. It all depends on the medical, and the Lions have plenty of trouble already there. I really like him as a player.

He might be the proto-typical OLB in the Schwartz defense too.....well, for his sake I hope he has a long healthy career and life !

I disagree. The line will remain intact, bet on it.

Do you consider this a good thing?

From my point of view, they can't and will not be able to run the ball if the line remains intact. They need to be able to smash it down opposing teams throats. I agree that they need to get a cow bell running back but any back behind their current line will not be able to do much.

I disagree. The line will remain intact, bet on it.

For the sake of our offense I hope you're wrong. I think S & M are smart enough to know the weakness on offense, and if someone is available and fits (which a player like Baas does) they'll make the move.

I would absolutely trade CJ if a ransom was offered. Two 1sts and a high 2nd would work. Anything more than that would be gravy.

Just for example: New England offers their early 1st and 2nd picks, plus their late 1st for CJ? Absolutely yes.

Potential draft:

#3 (us. or wherever we end up at...): Patrick Patterson, CB, LSU.

#12 (estimate): Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. (Travis Lewis or Bruce Carter this high?)

#30 (estimate): Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M.

#33 (estimate): Mike Pouncey or Stefen Wisniewski (C/G's).

#36 (ours, estim.): Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina.

#67 (ours, estim.): John Moffitt, G/C, Wisconsin.

#105 (ours, estim.): Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, WR/KR, Iowa.

That would fix our secondary and interior O-Line issues (hopefully), and put a couple playmakers back into the WR corps. We would still need 1 more LB'er (at least), and a franchise LT.

But I think that'd be a great way to rebuild this team a little faster - trade CJ.

I would absolutely trade CJ if a ransom was offered. Two 1sts and a high 2nd would work. Anything more than that would be gravy.

Just for example: New England offers their early 1st and 2nd picks, plus their late 1st for CJ? Absolutely yes.

Potential draft:

#12 (estimate): Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. (Travis Lewis or Bruce Carter this high?)

That would fix our secondary and interior O-Line issues (hopefully), and put a couple playmakers back into the WR corps. We would still need 1 more LB'er (at least), and a franchise LT.

But I think that'd be a great way to rebuild this team a little faster - trade CJ.

I'd LOVE to take Lewis at 12...I also love Wisniewski

Potential draft:

This would be amazing and don't forget about a team falling in love with Andrew Luck. If the Lions hold the number one pick and a team wants to trade up, the Lions better jump all over it with all of their needs.

Do you consider this a good thing?

From my point of view, they can't and will not be able to run the ball if the line remains intact. They need to be able to smash it down opposing teams throats. I agree that they need to get a cow bell running back but any back behind their current line will not be able to do much.

Yes. I believe everybody is under contract for next year. The biggest problem is the amount of penalties the line has had, especially presnap; but running wise, I put that on the running backs and the Lions unwillingness to run the ball. That has to do with Best having foot problems and not being explosive enough, because they've been able to make running lanes for the other running backs. I'm also a guy who looks at the line as a whole, and its not a weakness. The only issues I see are age between Backus and Raiola, but they don't have to be replaced at this second, so they shouldn't. There will be a tiime and a place, but it's not now. I've watched Wisneiwski of Penn State often, and he's not an upgrade over Raiola. And I don't think the best LT in the draft is better than Backus.

This would be amazing and don't forget about a team falling in love with Andrew Luck. If the Lions hold the number one pick and a team wants to trade up, the Lions better jump all over it with all of their needs.

That would be awesome to be in the #1 spot!!!

But I don't think it happens. Regardless whether we end up at #1 with great trade-down opportunities or not, or are offered a ransom for CJ, or not... I still think 1 great offseason and we're back in the playoff hunt next year...

Yes. I believe everybody is under contract for next year. The biggest problem is the amount of penalties the line has had, especially presnap; but running wise, I put that on the running backs and the Lions unwillingness to run the ball. That has to do with Best having foot problems and not being explosive enough, because they've been able to make running lanes for the other running backs. I'm also a guy who looks at the line as a whole, and its not a weakness. The only issues I see are age between Backus and Raiola, but they don't have to be replaced at this second, so they shouldn't. There will be a tiime and a place, but it's not now. I've watched Wisneiwski of Penn State often, and he's not an upgrade over Raiola. And I don't think the best LT in the draft is better than Backus.

Wisniewski doesn't have to be an immediate upgrade. He can be groomed over the next year or two. I'd prefer Pouncey... but I think Pouncey gets drafted before the top of the 2nd round... just my early guess.

Completely disagree. This team is closer to greatness than the results have shown. Do not trade away special talent with the hopes of getting more special talent. They need a pinpoint draft, a couple of free agent gems, and a healthy Stafford. That will bring playoffs back to Detroit.

just a thought and i know how it would get a chuckle from most of the country if we did this but here is my logic. How many years left does CJ have on his contract...2 years??? what are the odds and more importantly what will it cost to keep him??? If AJ Green is the second best receiver prospect of the last decade behind only CJ, why not draft him if available knowing you would get two years with them together and then when CJ is lighting it up with Dez Bryant in Dallas we would still have a legit #1.

Not saying its ideal but a possibility to think about.

just a thought and i know how it would get a chuckle from most of the country if we did this but here is my logic. How many years left does CJ have on his contract...2 years??? what are the odds and more importantly what will it cost to keep him??? If AJ Green is the second best receiver prospect of the last decade behind only CJ, why not draft him if available knowing you would get two years with them together and then when CJ is lighting it up with Dez Bryant in Dallas we would still have a legit #1.

Not saying its ideal but a possibility to think about.

The only way I would think about drafting Green is if they would/could trade CJ.

Best case scenario is they get the first pick and trade down with a team that loves Andrew Luck and then they are in position to draft Bowers, Peterson, or Amukamara.

Edited by nd1377

I really don't think Bowers is in play, and also Prince as high as the Lions will pick. I think it's pretty much Peterson or bust right now. I'd take him #1.

Wisniewski doesn't have to be an immediate upgrade. He can be groomed over the next year or two. I'd prefer Pouncey... but I think Pouncey gets drafted before the top of the 2nd round... just my early guess.

If you draft him that high, they should start. The Lions need LB's who can step in and start from day one with their 2nd and third rounders. They can look at other stuff after that.

If you draft him that high, they should start. The Lions need LB's who can step in and start from day one with their 2nd and third rounders. They can look at other stuff after that.

Is there any chance that Bobby Carpenter actually looks good in training camp next season and then starts for the Lions?

I really don't think Bowers is in play, and also Prince as high as the Lions will pick. I think it's pretty much Peterson or bust right now. I'd take him #1.

Not sure what you mean by "in play". Kiper has Bowers ranked slightly ahead of Peterson and McShay has Peterson slightly ahead of Peterson. Both would be excellent picks at #2.

Is there any chance that Bobby Carpenter actually looks good in training camp next season and then starts for the Lions?

No. He's a nice special teams player who has bounced around the league.

He's definately in play

Not sure what you mean by "in play". Kiper has Bowers ranked slightly ahead of Peterson and McShay has Peterson slightly ahead of Peterson. Both would be excellent picks at #2.

McShay drinking again?

Can we just trade our pick to the 49ers for Patrick Willis? That would give me my two favorite players in the NFL (Willis and Suh) on the same team.