Gozer

2010 Draft - Rd 1b: RB Jahvid Best

Anybody else find it strange that the Vikings traded with us?

There is going to be a lot of people trying to jump up to the front of the draft to get 'their' guy each day this thing resets. There is a lot of value at the #34 spot.

As soon as they announced the Jets taking Wilson I started to wonder if the Lions would try to move up to get Best.

I have a feeling the Lions were targeting either Best or Wilson and when Wilson dropped off the board, they did not want to take a chance on Best.

Speaking of, in no way did I see the Jets taking Wilson.

I was just glad he didn't go in the division. I thought he was a slam dunk for Green Bay. I thought the Packers screwed up there.

Okay, I feel better knowing that we get the Vik's #4. I first heard we gave up our 2nd, 4th, and a 7th for their first. If we're also getting their 4th it isn't as bad as I thought.

I suppose that I'm in the minority on this one... It seems to me that the Lions could have gotten Best at 34. If he can stay healthly, he could be a big-time weapon, but an undersized back with injury concerns has me a bit worried. I would have rather seen the Lions address the defense once again.

Additionally, pick 34 obviously has a lot of value (especially with the new draft schedule). It seems to me like it would have been better to stay at 34 or trade back to get more picks in this deep draft.

If Best pans out though, I'll be delighted and gladly eat my crow...

I suppose that I'm in the minority on this one... It seems to me that the Lions could have gotten Best at 34. If he can stay healthly, he could be a big-time weapon, but an undersized back with injury concerns has me a bit worried. I would have rather seen the Lions address the defense once again.

Additionally, pick 34 obviously has a lot of value (especially with the new draft schedule). It seems to me like it would have been better to stay at 34 or trade back to get more picks in this deep draft.

If Best pans out though, I'll be delighted and gladly eat my crow...

If you're in the minority, I'm right there with you. I feel almost exactly the same way.

That said, it appears that the Lions really wanted to Best, and what they gave up is not that much... just moving to the end of round 4 instead of the beginning.

I hope that come October we can both enjoy a night crow dinner together.

After sleeping on it, I still don't like the pick. I'm actually still furious Wilson fell as far as he did and Mayhew didn't move up to pick him. It was a good trade to move up and get the guy that you think helps your team, I just don't think Best is the right guy. I hope I'm eating my words, whether it be this year or in a couple years, but I don't think this was a good pick, at all.

I can't say enough about how important it is that Suh and Best are high character players. For a losing franchise, this is as important as talent. Winning franchises don't have to worry about this as much but the Lions have to not only rebuild the talent of the team but also the culture of a franchise. I am not going to pick on any individual players because I don't know them personally but from the outside looking in, some of our former first round picks were players of questionable character, even coming out of college before they busted for us.

Check out this interview:

Last night didn't like the trade, but after having a night to sleep on it I like it a lot. There was a chance that he could have been there today, but does anyone think the Lions did him a favor by trading up to get him last night becuase he was sitting in the green room by himself? I mean they really liked him and he looks great, but I think it was a classy move to help a kid out and not make him akwardly come back later tonight.

Last night didn't like the trade, but after having a night to sleep on it I like it a lot. There was a chance that he could have been there today, but does anyone think the Lions did him a favor by trading up to get him last night becuase he was sitting in the green room by himself? I mean they really liked him and he looks great, but I think it was a classy move to help a kid out and not make him akwardly come back later tonight.

That may be a happy byproduct, but I doubt that crossed their minds at all. They were afraid that if one of the teams in front of them didn't take him (NO, then trade Bush), then at least some team would trade in front of #34 to get him.

Best is not an every down running back, but he's a big-time playmaker and worth taking this high. At the skill positions, the Lions basically had CJ and a bunch of guys who probably would not even make the roster on some other teams. They needed a guy like Best who the defense will need to account for on every play.

Best is not an every down running back, but he's a big-time playmaker and worth taking this high. At the skill positions, the Lions basically had CJ and a bunch of guys who probably would not even make the roster on some other teams. They needed a guy like Best who the defense will need to account for on every play.

I'm thinking a faster Reggie Bush without the hot girlfriend. Although the concussion issues concern me.

Wow when he slips through the hole he sure can motor. Very quick as his legs look like a blur. Obviously not a pounder but a nice option when speed can kill. He should be fun to watch. Hopefully our line can open some holes for him to sprint through...

So what are you suggesting?

Only use our 7th rounders on RB's? Or no RB's at all?

Might as well. Because until we get competent tackles and another competent guard who don't entirely suck, it doesn't matter who we have back there.

I'm not just pertaining to this draft with my last post. Offensive line has been neglected in the draft for years and years. Sorry, reaching a half round for Gosder Cherilus, who has proven to be average at best, is not what I would call "addressing the offensive line" needs. Every single year it's a need, and every single year we do next to nothing in the draft or free agency to remedy it. Nothing is going to get better until it's addressed. Best is going to be too injured to even make an impact by the time there's a decent offensive line in front of him, and we'll be talking about some other RB starting in 2013.

I'm thinking a faster Reggie Bush without the hot girlfriend.

Without the what?? Sorry, gotta disagree on the level of hotness of the girlfiend.

i believe the Lions will be content to participate in shootouts this year, with the hope that Suh will disrupt opposing QBs more often than not.

i believe the Lions will be content to participate in shootouts this year, with the hope that Suh will disrupt opposing QBs more often than not.

I don't think that's a bad thing. If they can win that way, then I'm all for it. I think they'll try to match up.

No, they need a corner asap. They need a starter. They also need a LB.

I agree, too many needs on defense to go for an offensive lineman now. Take a project guy in the 7th if one is there. If not, Backus is serviceable, they picked up Sims to fill their biggest need at guard, and pray that Cherilus improves.

Their LT hasn't missed a game since he was drafted 9 years ago, and the center has only missed four games. That's really saying something, they'll be replaced eventually, but both are still very effective players.

To me that says he's got a LOT of miles on him.

I still think we'll see Suh playing some DE this year in addition to rotating at DT.

I like the Lions getting bigger and stronger up front. Now they need to take an OT next year and their nucleus will be complete.

Just in time for the lockout.

I don't think that's a bad thing. If they can win that way, then I'm all for it. I think they'll try to match up.

At a minimum the Lions should be MUCH more entertaining to watch on TV next year than the past 5 years. Not only have the Lions been wretchedly bad, they've been very, very boring to bear through.

After sleeping on it, I still don't like the pick. I'm actually still furious Wilson fell as far as he did and Mayhew didn't move up to pick him. It was a good trade to move up and get the guy that you think helps your team, I just don't think Best is the right guy. I hope I'm eating my words, whether it be this year or in a couple years, but I don't think this was a good pick, at all.

My thought leading up to the draft was all the Lions love with Wilson was a smokescreen. The way they stayed away from Best now kinda shows that he was the guy they wanted all along, and maybe Schwartz views the situation similar to when the Titans took Chris Johnson and didn't want other teams picking up on that.

My thought leading up to the draft was all the Lions love with Wilson was a smokescreen. The way they stayed away from Best now kinda shows that he was the guy they wanted all along, and maybe Schwartz views the situation similar to when the Titans took Chris Johnson and didn't want other teams picking up on that.

I second this logic. But I also thnk it was a necessary move with Seattle picking shortly after the Lions in the 2nd. I love the pick and think we had the best 1st round out of all that picked.

Best can't have an impact if he's not on the field.

Concussions are a really tricky thing and are much more likely to re-occur than most other types of football injuries. The Lions don't seem even the slightest bit concerned. I really hope this doesn't turn out the same as the last time this scouting & pp department ignored injury history. We all saw how it played out with Stanton. I could go on and on with the many things I don't like about the trade and the player.

However, I've seen a ton of this kid watching the Conference of Champions and there are a couple things that I do like. Tremendous speed and he knows how to use it. Not just a track guy playing football. He still has a ton of room to grow and develop as a player and will get better. His potential has not peaked as is the case with some players coming out of college. Excellent hands and can be a huge threat in the passing game like a Chris Johnson. Good character, smart kid, and not entitled (the anti-Reggie Bush).