Gozer

2010 Draft - Rd 1b: RB Jahvid Best

Your thoughts on the trade please?

I would have preferred to have picked him at 34, but better safe than sorry. They didn't give up much at all to pick him up.

I would have preferred to have picked him at 34, but better safe than sorry. They didn't give up much at all to pick him up.

same here.... we need more picks not less. That being said, I don't think we would have gotten him if we waited. The Colts aren't happy with their RB's and if he made it by them, I think the Saints were a legitimate threat to get him.

For a guy that some are saying is the best RB in this draft, it was worth it.

I hate this. First of all, RB is not a pressing need. There's a reason we see a new starting RB every other season, and it's not the RB. It's the absolutely atrocious offensive line that has been here for 10 years and never been addressed. Adrian Peterson is going to be terrible in our backfield if we had him with this offensive line. Kevin Smith is not bad. Kevin Jones was not bad. Hell, James Stewart was not bad...but they sure look like it when they get zero help. Best is going to be just as bad as they were. I would have been mad with any RB before the 4th/5th round, but to trade up for one...this is just plain stupid.

So what are you suggesting?

Only use our 7th rounders on RB's? Or no RB's at all?

same here.... we need more picks not less. That being said, I don't think we would have gotten him if we waited. The Colts aren't happy with their RB's and if he made it by them, I think the Saints were a legitimate threat to get him.

For a guy that some are saying is the best RB in this draft, it was worth it.

The Rams could have definitely traded out tomorrow, he would have been the #1 commodity, but the Lions secured him. The Lions now have a high powered offense.

Since we still have a 3rd and 4th round pick, I am totally fine with trading up to make sure we get the guy we wanted. I'm a little concerned about the concussion, but all the guys I wanted and thought could fall didn't and Best should be a really good back as long as he's healthy. Plus, after the past year's draft, I'm going to trust in Mayhew's judgement.

The Rams could have definitely traded out tomorrow, he would have been the #1 commodity, but the Lions secured him. The Lions now have a high powered offense.

Very true, although, as we see now, they might trade out of tomorrows #1 with someone trying to get Clausen.

nah. the lions now have a shiny red Ferrari (skill players) with a Yugo engine (O line) under the hood.

Very true, although, as we see now, they might trade out of tomorrows #1 with someone trying to get Clausen.

or maybe they take claussen...

or maybe they take claussen...

If 1 franchise QB can help you sell a team, 2 has to give you a better price, right?

If 1 franchise QB can help you sell a team, 2 has to give you a better price, right?

brain fart!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

You should have played it off as a joke. It would have worked.

nah, i'll just let everyone laugh at me...

You should have played it off as a joke. It would have worked.

definitely would have....that's what I took it as and ran with.

This kid is fast... I am not concerned about the concussion. I am confident in this pick. You can tell that we had a lot of value in this pick and I am happy we weren't complacent. I think, giving the GM's time to think about Best overnight, someone would have or could have jumped us and RB has not been good in a very very long time and for the first time since Barry, I am confident in our RB. He will be a great player.

The Lions now have a high powered offense.

Almost... They still need to address the offensive line, asap.

Cruzer; is it true that there are some good OL in the 3rd and 4th rounds?

in a draft this deep, there should be a future backus or raiola down there. maybe even someone who could be an above-average starter.

I have hopes that the Lions will trade back in the third to acquire 1 or 2 extra picks in the 4-6th rounds and then take Veldheer out of Hillsdale

No, they need a corner asap. They need a starter. They also need a LB. Their offensive line is fine. You look better with better players to block for. Right now, they have 2 first round tackles as the bookends, and a 2nd round center. Their LT hasn't missed a game since he was drafted 9 years ago, and the center has only missed four games. That's really saying something, they'll be replaced eventually, but both are still very effective players.

Is it me or does this kid remind you of Reggie Bush? He is not a power runner and does not look like the kind of guy who is going to break tackles- make people miss, yes. Combined with Kevin Smith, they both could be productive in a Saints kind of way.

Is it me or does this kid remind you of Reggie Bush? He is not a power runner and does not look like the kind of guy who is going to break tackles- make people miss, yes. Combined with Kevin Smith, they both could be productive in a Saints kind of way.

I'll tell you what, that 4.3 speed is going to look nice on the rug at FF.

I'm not really concerned about the concussion at all. I'd be more concerned if he had knee problems in college, & that's not the case. You can get value on the OL later in the draft. I was really hoping Kyle Wilson would fall to us, but when that didn't happen they made a good move to secure Best. The stakes were going to be very high to leap frog the Lions in the 2nd to nab him.

Anybody else find it strange that the Vikings traded with us?

Not at all. The #34 pick had a lot of value, so it was win-win.

As soon as they announced the Jets taking Wilson I started to wonder if the Lions would try to move up to get Best.

I have a feeling the Lions were targeting either Best or Wilson and when Wilson dropped off the board, they did not want to take a chance on Best.

Speaking of, in no way did I see the Jets taking Wilson.