spikesglaring

Gerald Laird - Time to be Benched

I think game calling is a bit overrated, but a couple teams really value it (like the Angels and Yankees). So, I have to think that there is something that shows up on pitch f/x charts for pitchers or among the data a team gets from Inside Edge or things like that. The Yankees are a billion dollar organization and started a catcher in the WS b/c of his game calling of AJ Burnett and benched Posada. Maybe they are just idiots. But, I have to think there was something they knew that the common fan just doesn't know/doesn't have access too.

Part of it may be that. But part of it might be playing a game with Burnett, who probably just wasn't comfortable with Posada, even if he and Molina called exactly the same game.

John Dewan developed a stat called Earned Runs Saved which he discussed in The Fielding Bible. He basically calculates how many runs a catcher saved his pitching staff based on the season ERA of pitchers he caught and the ER allowed when he was catching. It's different from catcher ERA because he removes the bias that might be created by one catcher catching the teams best pitchers all the time. He says it is somewhat repeatable, although his article didn't include enough detail to convince me.

Anyway, according to this stat, Posada cost the Yankees 11 runs with his pitcher handling and Molina saved the team 8 runs.

John Dewan developed a stat called Earned Runs Saved which he discussed in The Fielding Bible. He basically calculates how many runs a catcher saved his pitching staff based on the season ERA of pitchers he caught and the ER allowed when he was catching. It's different from catcher ERA because he removes the bias that might be created by one catcher catching the teams best pitchers all the time. He says it is somewhat repeatable, although his article didn't include enough detail to convince me.

Anyway, according to this stat, Posada cost the Yankees 11 runs with his pitcher handling and Molina saved the team 8 runs.

I read the article and I think it has a few wholes in it. Laird was a -2 in that stat last year, though. FWIW.

I read the article and I think it has a few wholes in it.

A few whole whats?

A Michigan student has no excuse for that crap.

I read the article and I think it has a few wholes in it. Laird was a -2 in that stat last year, though. FWIW.

I think the basic Earned Runs Saved concept is a good one. Where he lost me is with the "credibility factor" adjustments. I'd like to see more details.

A few whole whats?

A Michigan student has no excuse for that crap.

I only saw half a whole.

Leyland will probably give Laird another week to 10 days. He could be just off to a bad start. But at some point, the Tigers are going to need some offense from their catcher. They can't go all season getting a sub-.200 out of the catching position. Probably May 1st will be Leyland's cutoff date for a change if necessary.

I can live a week or 10 days to start hitting, but when one of the normally best defensive guys in the league blows two simple plays in 2 days, has already lost the handle on the ball on an attempted throw to second multiple times in 9 games AND isn't hitting, 10 days may get awfully long.

I think the basic Earned Runs Saved concept is a good one. Where he lost me is with the "credibility factor" adjustments. I'd like to see more details.

I pretty much agree with this. The basic concept was good, but from what I gather, I was a bit more hard on him than you were with the other details. Compared to his other work, I was somewhat disappointed. I might just hold him to a higher standard than I should, though, b/c of his other accomplishments. Therefore, my bias would certainly play a role.

In my mind, playing Avila one out of every three games is not enough to justify bringing him to the big leagues out of spring training. I was for the move to bring him up but I expected him to play more early in the season. He could be getting at least twice as many at-bats and the experience to catch every day in Toledo. Not to mention it is hard to find any kind of rhythm getting 7 or 8 at bats a week.

This cannot continue to go on much longer. I have always had a ton of respect for Leyland as a manager but some of the stuff he has done the last two years is really mind boggling to me. And I do blame this on Leyland. My guess is if it were up to DD, Avila would be our starting catcher the large majority of the time.

After listening to the game last night in the middle innnings, I'm surprised to find no one calling for his head for air mailing that throw to first that resulted in two earned runs.

If the stat that Eric Cioe gave was accurate (and I'm sure it is), Laird calling 25 of the first 27 pitches as fastballs is alarming.

After listening to the game last night in the middle innnings, I'm surprised to find no one calling for his head for air mailing that throw to first that resulted in two earned runs.

If the stat that Eric Cioe gave was accurate (and I'm sure it is), Laird calling 25 of the first 27 pitches as fastballs is alarming.

Really..he was fine for the first 2 2/3. People need to grasp the idea, that if Leyland and Knapp are not in agrement with the pitch calls, they signal Laird to change them, anyone that has caught, pitched or managed, understands the sublty that goes into this art and the preparation and sequencing that is part of this science.

Believe me, the fastballs weren't an issue. Their location and the execution of the pitches may have been, but not the pitch selection.

Comparing Bonderman's start to his previous start, using Brooks' Pitch FX:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfx/index.php?month=4&day=16&year=2010&game=gid_2010_04_16_detmlb_seamlb_1/&pitchSel=425827&prevGame=gid_2010_04_16_detmlb_seamlb_1/&prevDate=416

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfx/index.php?month=4&day=10&year=2010&game=gid_2010_04_10_clemlb_detmlb_1/&pitchSel=425827&prevGame=gid_2010_04_10_clemlb_detmlb_1/&prevDate=410

Average velocity down 1.6 MPH

Fastball pitch down 1.8 MPH

Slider had more "bite" to it.

Threw a lot more "fat" pitches up in the zone

Only four first-pitch balls this time (8 or 9 last outing)

Conclusion - he did not have his best fastball or location last night,

just one of those "bad" nights that every pitcher has.

Watching the game it seemed like his control was off, and he threw some fat breaking pitches over the plate in an attempt to throw strikes. Not surprisingly these were hammered.

You can't blame Laird for that.

Fair enough.

The error, however, is very un-Laird-like. If he keeps turning routine plays into two base errors, it's a major problem. Unfortunately, many members of this team aren't playing fundamentally-sound baseball right now.

Personally I think laird sucks, since he's been here...he hasn't proven anthing to me. He needs to either put up or shut up or it's time to find another catcher

I think I'd rather have a catcher that hits like Piazza over a catcher that defends like Ausmus.

Ausmus was a hitting MACHINE!!!!!!!!! Look at that average!!!!

IMG_0603.jpg

Personally I think laird sucks, since he's been here...he hasn't proven anthing to me. He needs to either put up or shut up or it's time to find another catcher

Has he been outspoken about things? I haven't heard anything like that.

Has he been outspoken about things? I haven't heard anything like that.

Just my opinion, but laird just hasn't produced like he should, maybe he's going through a rough stretch, but unlike other players...catchers are few and far between...

Just my opinion, but laird just hasn't produced like he should, maybe he's going through a rough stretch, but unlike other players...catchers are few and far between...

Oh, there are plenty of catchers. There are too few good catchers.

Of course he hasn't produced. But "put up or shut up" implies that he was barking about something. And if he has, I haven't seen it.

Avila's having a good day behind the plate defensively today ...

I've never seen Avila really struggle behind the plate. He gets that reputation because he is a young guy who hasn't played a ton of games at catcher. My opinion is that his inexperience behind the plate is WAY overstated.

I've never seen Avila really struggle behind the plate. He gets that reputation because he is a young guy who hasn't played a ton of games at catcher. My opinion is that his inexperience behind the plate is WAY overstated.

I agree. Also, the only way to get experience is to play. I think he needs to get more PT.

Mark-

Did you call your girlfriend's brother and say, "That just happened!"?

Avila backed up everything you said and looked great defensively yesterday. Throwing out Ichiro, who had a "decent" jump, is not easy to do. Then taking that blow from Byrnes was great. He was paitent at the plate and looked like a MLB catcher. Something Laird has yet to do this season.

Now it is more evident than ever...Avila needs to have a straight platoon. Or find more ABs somewhere else in the lineup.