Sign in to follow this  
RSS Feeder

Bats baffle Mud Hens

Bats baffle Mud Hens

By JOHN WAGNERBlade Sports Writer

Louisville pitcher Matt Maloney grew up in Huron, Ohio, roughly 70 miles to the east of Fifth Third Field.

But you'll have to forgive Maloney if he tries to make the Mud Hens' ballpark his permanent home.Maloney made his sixth career start at Fifth Third Field Saturday night, and he continued his dominance of the Hens in pitching the Bats to a 7-1 win."I like it here — I love pitching here," said Maloney, who limited Toledo to just six hits and one run in 5 2/3 innings yesterday. "But I love pitching with Louisville, because we have a great group of guys.

"I need to take care of business [in Triple-A], and I'm confident I'll make it back [to the big leagues]."

In six career starts at Fifth Third Field, Maloney has allowed just 27 hits and six walks in 41 innings, striking out 45 while posting a 1.98 ERA. He's 3-1 in his career in Toledo, and two of his no-decisions have come when the Bats bullpen blew ninth-inning leads.The Mud Hens did have their chances against Maloney Saturday night. They left two runners on base in the second, stranded a runner on third base in the third, and saw a double play thwart a potential fourth-inning rally. Toledo eventually scored a run off Maloney in the sixth as Brennan Boesch was hit by a pitch, took second on a wild pitch, then scored on hard single to left by Ryan Strieby.

More...