Deleterious

2010 Pistons Offseason Thread

Pistons' Ben Gordon commits to playing for Great Britain this summer | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Pistons' Ben Gordon commits to playing for Great Britain this summer

Detroit Pistons guard Ben Gordon is rehabbing from left ankle surgery, but that didn’t stop him from committing to play for Great Britain this summer as it tries to qualify for the 2011 Euro Basketball Championship.

The Pistons announced that the London-born Gordon will join the roster -- which includes his former Bulls teammate Luol Deng -- in July.

Gordon — who averaged 13.8 points, 2.7 assists and 1.9 rebounds in 62 games with the Pistons — underwent surgery to remove bone spurs and loose bodies from his left ankle in April at St. Joseph Mercy in Pontiac.

“I am delighted to have committed myself to GB for this summer and beyond,” Gordon said in a news release through the Pistons. “I have heard a lot from Luol about the team and where we are going, so I am excited about the prospect of pulling on the GB vest. I have been in discussions with British Basketball for a while now, but various things have stopped me being able to fully commit. However, I am now settled with the Pistons, and the time is right.”

Britain’s games are scheduled for Aug. 2-29.

“The news of Ben’s inclusion is great for the team, as he will bring considerable experience to the group,” British coach Chris Finch said in the release.

Winderman: NBA teams already talking with each other about 2010 free agents. Legally. - ProBasketballTalk - Basketball - NBC Sports

Winderman: NBA teams already talking with each other about 2010 free agents. Legally.

The widely accepted notion is that 2010 free agency won't begin until just after the stroke of midnight July 1, that any mention of a pending free agent who did not finish the season on your roster would bring a swift rebuke from the league office.

Uh, not quite.

The chatter already has begun among team executives.

Legally.

Earlier this week, in discussing his plans for the NBA's largest cache of cap cash, Heat President Pat Riley spoke about getting a pre-July 1 feel for how receptive teams would be to prearranged sign-and-trade deals for pending free agents.

"Most of teams that are going to be losing free agents will be clamoring for sign and trades," Riley said. "They don't want to lose an asset for nothing. So, most of the time, we will know prior to July the one, as will those teams."

There was a brief hush in the room, as if Riley was about to go all Glen Taylor on the situation, with David Stern about to swoop in from stage left and snag a few future draft picks.

Fear not. According to an NBA spokesman, "Teams can discuss potential sign and trades before July 1, so long as no discussions are had with the player(s) involved."

So, at this very moment, Bryan Colangelo could be having talks with the Lakers or Rockets or Mavericks or Knicks or Heat about Chris Bosh, while, all the while, publicly vowing his long-term affection for the Twitter-happy forward.

The efficiency and effectiveness of such talks are another matter, considering the only way any such deals get consummated is if the pending free agent first agrees to the trade on or after July 1 and then signs off on or after July 8.

But what it means is that it already is game on, especially for capped-out teams that only can be part of the process through sign and trades.

It just seems a bit unsettling that Mitch Kupchak, at the very moment his Lakers are competing for a championship, could be on the phone with Colangelo speaking about possibly moving Lamar Odom or Andrew Bynum.

But he can.

Which, knowing NBA executives, means they already are.

Consider it the untold backstory of this postseason.

Ira Winderman writes regularly for NBCSports.com and covers the Heat and the NBA for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

I had no clue that was legal. Pretty interesting.

PISTONS: Tough Call

Look at Boston and Rajon Rondo. A year ago, by their own admission, many in Boston’s organization had gotten their fill of Rondo and were looking to move him. At the end of the day, they agreed to a five-year, $55 million extension before letting Rondo become a restricted free agent this summer. The way he’s playing now, that looks like a bargain.

The Pistons will face a similar call on Rodney Stuckey this summer or face the prospect of allowing Stuckey to become a restricted free agent in 2011. There’s no way around it: It’s a gamble either way you go for both sides.

If the Pistons let the season play out without extending Stuckey and he has a breakout season – possible, given that he’ll be playing for the same head coach as the previous season for the first time in his career and should have a team more suited to the faster tempo he prefers – he’ll be hitting the market as a 25-year-old and could hit the jackpot. Especially if teams that cleared cap space this summer get stuck without a dance partner should LeBron, Wade and Stoudemire all stay put.

But if they extend him this season at terms similar to what Rondo got – how Stuckey is viewed today isn’t much behind where Rondo was a year ago – and Stuckey doesn’t develop greater consistency in his jump shot or his playmaking skills, then the onus will be on Joe Dumars and his staff to do more with less payroll at his discretion than he otherwise would have had.

Langlois is such a hack. Giving Stuckey anything close to what Rondo got would be a massive mistake.

Stuckey sucks. No way he deserves an extension at this point, let alone a nice one like Rondo got. Do something first buddy.

When the team journalist starts writing articles like that, I'm afraid they are about to give Stuckey a huge extension.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16215

Need a Point Guard?

Teams in need of a new starting point guard this summer may have slim pickings. Our own Tommy Beer put together this nice list a few days ago of free agents by position – guess how many point guards that might be considered starters are on there?

Two, depending on your perspective. Raymond Felton and T.J. Ford, and Ford are not going to be a free agent because he will exercise his Player Option. There are plenty of point guards who have been starters, like Luke Ridnour, Steve Blake, Chris Duhon, Carlos Arroyo, Jason Williams, Earl Watson, Derek Fisher, and Jamaal Tinsley to name a few. But would you spend anything more than minimal free agent money on any one of them?

Not if you wanted to create a successful team with a reliable floor leader.

If point guard is a team's top priority this summer it looks like they have two choices: sign Felton or make a trade. The Bobcats like Felton but they aren't going to overpay for him, so if any team offers him more than say $7 million to start they will probably bow out of the running (he is an unrestricted free agent because he signed the one-year Qualifying Offer last summer).

Felton has his drawbacks. He's not a consistent three-point shooter nor is he the best defender, but he has decent size and generally makes good decisions. He's solid, but not going to blow anyone away with his skills. It's quite possible a team with money who needs a point guard won't be interested in spending the cash to give him a long-term contract (but if two teams like him, he may end up getting paid far more than his actual production value).

Say Felton isn't a team's cup of tea. What are the trade options?

Mike Bibby could be available if the Atlanta Hawks do decide to blow the whole thing up. Monta Ellis could hit the trade market, though that likely depends on what happens with a possibly new ownership group and their opinion of him. He's also owed $44 million over the next four years. If the New Jersey Nets end up with John Wall in the draft Devin Harris could be available, but it's not a given. There are rumors Tony Parker in San Antonio could be available, but those have been played down and Parker is adamant he wants to stay.

Nope, there really isn't a lot out there, and there will be teams who want point guards. The L.A. Lakers are definitely one team who will be on the lookout, as will some of the teams with money like Miami HEAT and the New York Knicks.

This year's draft isn't particularly deep with point guards either – the exact opposite of 2009. Don't be surprised if some of those point guards on the free agent list or possibly available in trade end up costing more than expected, simply because of the laws of supply and demand. Low supply and normal to high demand will make sure of that.

I'd rather have Shaun Livingston than Felton or Ford.

How much are you willing to pay? Would you give him the full MLE?

I wouldn't. We are not competeting for a championship next year, so we have zero need to gamble on a PG this year with serious money.

Pistons part ways with longtime PR official | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Pistons part ways with longtime PR official

Pistons spokesman Kevin Grigg confirmed Friday night that Matt Dobek, the team's vice president of public relations, is no longer employed by the franchise.

Grigg declined further comment on Dobek, whose career with the Pistons dates to before the Bad Boys era of the late 1980s and early '90s.

A Central Michigan graduate, Dobek was hired by Tom Wilson, who left the organization in February as president of the Pistons and Palace Sports & Entertainment.

Dobek, director of publicity when the Pistons won NBA titles in 1989-90, was close to former coach Chuck Daly and Pistons great Isiah Thomas. Dobek served as the spokesman for the family when Daly died in May 2009.

Dobek did not return a voice mail left by the Free Press.

with the abundance of PG abvailable, albeit bad PG.. Livingston may be affordable, say, 2/6MM or 3/9MM.

He would be at the top of my list.

Edited by sportz4life

I'd rather have Shaun Livingston than Felton or Ford.

Well, if you are going for upside I think he's the most preferable. He really looked good at the end of the year, and he's still young.

The way the Front Office is being stream-lined with all the firings and departures, the only important decision maker will be Joe Dumars and who knows how much leeway He will have. I'd predict a very conservative approach with just low level signings and the draft. The preparation for sale of the franchise must be the primary concern..It seems the Pistons are being "Monaghan-ized" into the depths.

The way the Front Office is being stream-lined with all the firings and departures, the only important decision maker will be Joe Dumars and who knows how much leeway He will have. I'd predict a very conservative approach with just low level signings and the draft. The preparation for sale of the franchise must be the primary concern..It seems the Pistons are being "Monaghan-ized" into the depths.

You think Dobek is gone because of streamlining? I think it was probably expected with the Wilson departure.

You think Dobek is gone because of streamlining? I think it was probably expected with the Wilson departure.

They have lost an owner who had pride, a vision and a desire to win. I would guess the place has become almost unrecognizable to the long-timers.

I was thinking about this. What if Lebron leaves the Cavaliers, is there any precedent for an owner switching in the NBA? I'd have to think Gilbert would rather own the Pistons then the Lebronless Cavaliers.

I was thinking about this. What if Lebron leaves the Cavaliers, is there any precedent for an owner switching in the NBA? I'd have to think Gilbert would rather own the Pistons then the Lebronless Cavaliers.

I think Gilbert would prefer not to lose 100MM by selling the LeBron less Cavs and who said we want a basketball ignorant owner like Dan Gilbert to buy the Pistons??

Gilbert's idiotic authorization of the acquisitions of the awesome, 100 year old 23MM SHAQ, Jamison a good scorer on a bad team and other brilliant moves like Ben Wallace and Larry Hughes were just basketball genuis..it's well known in Detroit, that Dan Gilbert could fill a thimble half way with his vast sports and NBA knowledge.

They have lost an owner who had pride, a vision and a desire to win. I would guess the place has become almost unrecognizable to the long-timers.

Funny how since MR. D died, the emperor suddenly has no clothes..

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66608/20100516/if_lebron_leaves_value_of_cavs_could_drop_$150m/

If LeBron Leaves, Value Of Cavs Could Drop $150M

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert could see the value of his franchise drop drastically if LeBron James leaves as a free agent this summer.

The New York Daily News, citing league executives, reports that the value of the team could drop as much as $150 million if James signs with another team.

I doubt Gilbert is interested in that.

If Lebron leaves the whole franchise might be doomed, the team was in dire straights before Lebron and a blow like losing him might kill basketball in Cleveland.

I think my statement conveyed the idea that the Front Office has had an adundance of departures, a President, a couple of VP's, a few Directors...the total picture seems as one stripping down for a sale. No ? Not just singling out a PR man.

Brilliant!

Auburn Hills -- In this upcoming summer of free-agency musical chairs, it's looking like some teams will come out with no prizes to speak of.

Teams that have been dreaming of this summer for months upon months might come up empty. Which, in turn, will make their fan bases less than thrilled -- very angry, actually, considering the promises of this summer they've been fed.

Yes, there could be a ton of stars available. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Carlos Boozer, Rudy Gay, Amare Stoudemire, and others, too. But there are only so many teams that are going to be active, or attractive enough. And some of those guys will ultimately stay with their present teams. The Pistons should put Rodney Stuckey in play. Make him available this summer.

Time to sell high

Stuckey, 24, is eligible to become a restricted free agent next summer. His trade value, despite that scare on the Cleveland bench late in the season when he collapsed, is as high as it's been. Now, what exactly that value could be is a good question. You get different opinions as to how valuable Stuckey could be to other teams. But Stuckey could surely bring a young big man with the same type of promise and potential he has, which is exactly what the Pistons need.

By trading Stuckey, the Pistons allow more minutes and freedom for Ben Gordon. With Stuckey and Richard Hamilton unavailable late in the season, Gordon played some of his best basketball as the primary option. The Pistons have a surplus of perimeter players. There's no question they need to whittle that down. I say Stuckey should be the expendable one. He's shown glimpses of being the type of explosive player the Pistons have envisioned. There are times you see what Joe Dumars, president of basketball operations, and his staff see in Stuckey. But, in my opinion, those times just aren't often enough. It would be too risky having much of your cap space tied to Stuckey.

Trade him this summer to a team desperate to appease its fans. You'll get a nice package in return. There's hope for the future. And a fan base that grew extremely lethargic this past season could get re-energized.

From The Detroit News: Trading Rodney Stuckey could brighten Pistons' future | detnews.com | The Detroit News