Deleterious

2010 Pistons Offseason Thread

I agree he will get more than those deals I laid out. I am just not sure I am willing to give him that big of a deal.

Pretty solid body of film available against NBA talent..all of April..a competent NBA personnel man and coaching staff should be able to make a good evaluatuon. Then doctors can tell you about the medical situation and a backround and personal interview can tell them about the person/man.

What I like..how difficult do you think it was to recover from this injury, how much work, belief,fortitiude..he got paid big cash in the initial contract..he could have given up..he didn't need to go to the D-League.

Thats a pretty good sign.

or hiring Pritchard after the playoffs and making himself more ceremonial.

The man who offered the sun and moon to Hedo Turkoglu this year? Yeah, I want that guy.

You don't have to want Joe Dumars, but I don't see the universal love for Pritchard other than the fact that 1) he's not Joe Dumars and 2) he uses a computer and therefore is really s-m-r-t and efficient.

You know what rhymes with Dalembert??

Terrible NBA center..it's a haiku

You're right. Much better to have 4 shooting guards than a guy who can rebound and block some shots (9.6 rpg, 1.8 bpg this season) for the same price. Oh, and his deal is expiring too.

I really doubt that Dumars is interested in Love.

Plus, I think he's too invested in Stuckey to move him. As in, he thinks Stuckey is going to be a star.

Well, I think Stuckey is improving and made improvements this year, but after 3 years the bloom is probably off the rose. Stuckey I think could be a point guard and good one, but I don't think he really wants to be, he plays different at the two spot and even in interviews you can tell he likes too score too much to ever be the distributor he needs to be.

One of Dumars biggest strengths over the years has been to admit mistakes and move on, not be the ego driven executive you are alluding to here.

One thing is for sure if Kelser and Blaha were in charge Love would be a prime target, if you watched the last game they took every opportunity to talk up Love and wonder why he wasn't playing more.

or hiring Pritchard after the playoffs and making himself more ceremonial.

Wait, you mean the Pritchard who selected Greg Oden #1? I thought only Dumars would have been stupid enough to do that.

Wait, you mean the Pritchard who selected Greg Oden #1? I thought only Dumars would have been stupid enough to do that.

You mean Greg Oden who would have been selcted first by all 29 other GM's?? hindsight is beautiful isn't it..

Oden was a no brainer..nobody can predict injuries..he was well on his way to a very good season this year if he hadn't been hurt for the 39th time.

I suggest you go research the other moves..and their are numerous other moves. start with Lamarcus Alrdrige for Tyrus Thomas.. Seriously do you guys research anything..

I wish the worst move Dumars made was drafting a true center that rebounds, block shots, controls the paint, and scores a little.

Still, Pritchard screwed up not taking Durant. But its not like Oden is a useless turd like Darko.

Well, I think Stuckey is improving and made improvements this year, but after 3 years the bloom is probably off the rose. Stuckey I think could be a point guard and good one, but I don't think he really wants to be, he plays different at the two spot and even in interviews you can tell he likes too score too much to ever be the distributor he needs to be.

One of Dumars biggest strengths over the years has been to admit mistakes and move on, not be the ego driven executive you are alluding to here.

One thing is for sure if Kelser and Blaha were in charge Love would be a prime target, if you watched the last game they took every opportunity to talk up Love and wonder why he wasn't playing more.

No offense, you may be the only who now believes that Stuckey can be a good PG..

It's one thing to admit mistakes and move on..it's another for that list to now be as long as Manute Bol's pant leg.

Point of order, is the team getting better or worse, is the coaching selections getting better or worse??

With Camby signing an extension in Portland, Joel Przybilla might be available. Bit old for me, but I know some people like him.

Guard, big man seen as Pistons' main needs in the off-season | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Guard, big man seen as Pistons' main needs in the off-season

What do the Pistons need to get the franchise back to its winning ways?

Start with a big man and another shooter.

The Pistons had the worst frontcourt in the league this season, and had the worst three-point shooting percentage in a league that is growing more dependent on long-range bombs.

More than one person around the league has said the team probably will be in the market for a starting-caliber point guard. That's a bit surprising considering the amount of public support the Pistons have given to Rodney Stuckey.

Landing that point guard won't be much of a problem if the Pistons parlay their 5.3% chance at winning the lottery into Kentucky point guard John Wall. But since that isn't likely, the team probably would have to use the trade route.

And remember, it's not an indictment of Stuckey, who always has been considered a better scorer than set-up man. He put together a solid season, and the team remains committed to him as part of its rebuilding. Nor is it a slam at restricted free agent Will Bynum, who always has been considered more of a backup than starter at the point.

Contact VINCE ELLIS: 313-222-6479 or vellis@freepress.com. Read more in his Pistons blog at freep.com/pistonsblog.

A big guy down low who can score is priority number 1 as the team has no low post prescence whatsoever. Pistons have enough guards right now since they will in all liklihood resign Bynum and still have Stuckey, Rip, and Gordon.

Stuckey has just not developed into what Dumars and everyone thought he would. And had Chauncey not gotten hurt in the Boston series in 08, he would still be a Pistons and the team wouldn't be a mess. Because that injury is the reason Mr. Big Shot is gone since Stuckey got to play in that series and played well. Hopefully they fix things a little during the offseason because I do not want to suffer through another season like this.

Since NBA teams try for years to land a quality big man or point guard, it's a tall order for us to try to get both in one offseason. Not to mention a shooting guard that can hit the three ball...and here I thought that after collecting 4 shooting guards, at least that position would be covered.

Gee, didn't they just sign a guard and a big man last off season?

To me it's all nonsense. Dumars would do best to trade as many people as he can out of Stuckey, Prince, Gordon and Rip. I'd probably add CV to that list except his contract isn't as hideous and he's shown some signs (staying in Detroit this off season to work out) of wanting to improve.

There is no point in playing at the margins with a team that does not have one position set for the future, especially in a conference that is going to be dominated by the Cavs (if James stays) and Magic. The Pistons need to get younger fast and start building a group that is going to bloom in year 3 or 4.

Top Piston official to join Timberwolves | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Top Piston official to join Timberwolves

Pistons director of basketball operations Tony Ronzone will become the assistant general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves, according to a team source.

Ronzone joined the Pistons after the 1999-2000 season and has served as director of basketball operations for the past five seasons. Ronzone was also director of international player personnel for USA Basketball, and has been in high demand for his expertise in international scouting.

He directed the Pistons' international scouting activities and assisted with college scouting and evaluating NBA personnel.

Out with the bad air, in with the good. Tony Ronzonne's biggest claim to fame..primary scout of DARKO MILICIC.

He was pretty well thought of as an international scout.

USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo announced on July 12, 2007, that Tony Ronzone, the Detroit Pistons Director of Basketball Operations, had been named Director of International Player Personnel for the USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team. Ronzone will work through the 2008 Olympics with the USA coaching staff on the scouting of international teams and the evaluation of players.

"Tony is considered one of the premiere talent scouts in the business and his strength certainly is international basketball. We are pleased to have him involved," said Colangelo.

Ronzone completed in 2007-08 his third year as Director of Basketball Operations and his sixth year overall with the Pistons. He directs all of Detroit's international scouting activities and assists with college scouting and evaluating NBA personnel. His efforts helped Detroit land Serbia center Zeljko Rebraca, Turkey's Mehmet Okur and Argentine shooting guard Carlos Delfino.

USA Basketball

He wasn't the only one crazy for Darko. Check out this 2003 ESPN Insider chat:

Dusan, Belgrade: The real question - how good is Darko Milicic? Stud or the european version of overhype Lebron gets?

Chad Ford: We'll start with the dude from Belgrade.

Milicic, he was as good as advertised when we saw him on Saturday. In fifteen minutes he had 14 points, 10 boards, 5 blocks, 3 assists without any plays run for him. Unbelievable. I'm going to turn this over to Tony for a quick evaluation.

Tony Ronzone: He has a tremendous feel for the game. He's very poised and mature. He's a big man who actually loves to play in the post. That's different from most European bigs who prefer to play on the perimeter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt, Watertown MA: hey Chad love your stuff, is Darko Milicic as good to overtake Lebron James as the top pick in the upcoming draft?

Chad Ford: I think James will be the No. 1 pick. He's awesome. Any other year, it would be Milicic. One scout compared him to Tim Duncan. Big guys who know how to play in the post are hard to come by. And when you factor in that he's left handed, can handle the ball and can shoot from three, he's got the potential to be unstoppable.

What do you know about DARKO - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums

Noted Dumars shill Chad Ford..I see what really good Euro on the Piston roster??..the others were washouts or mismanaged..by Tony..maybe we should try starting with a collegiate scouitng staff that insightfully evaluates US players well.

Edited by sportz4life

What the hell are you trying to say? That post is unintelligible. You hanging out with Dubay or something?

If Salmons leaves Milwaukee, Pistons should try Rip for Redd. Next year is the last year of his deal so it would give us some cap relief.

If Salmons leaves Milwaukee, Pistons should try Rip for Redd. Next year is the last year of his deal so it would give us some cap relief.

Redd is due somewhere around 18 million next season. To make this work, the Pistons would probably have to include Maxiell in the deal.

If I had a choice, I would rather deal Gordon than Rip.

Redd is due somewhere around 18 million next season. To make this work, the Pistons would probably have to include Maxiell in the deal.

Nobody is taking Maxiell, and you don't have to include him anyway. Redd is due $17 million, Rip is due $12.5. That means they miss the 25% rule by $25,000. Toss in Summers and call it a day.

Nobody is taking Maxiell, and you don't have to include him anyway. Redd is due $17 million, Rip is due $12.5. That means they miss the 25% rule by $25,000. Toss in Summers and call it a day.

Does Summers even have a contract for next year?

I got Redd at 18.3 and Rip at 12.65. The Pistons are going to have to add about 2.5 million to make it work with Rip.

Does Summers even have a contract for next year?

I got Redd at 18.3 and Rip at 12.65. The Pistons are going to have to add about 2.5 million to make it work with Rip.

Yes, he has a non-guaranteed contract. If your numbers are right, just toss in Wilcox. Nobody is dumb enough to take Maxiell.

Yes, he has a non-guaranteed contract. If your numbers are right, just toss in Wilcox. Nobody is dumb enough to take Maxiell.

I re-worked the numbers. I think it is closer to 2 million, not 2.5 million. Either way, Wilcox would work.

That would be my choice too. I'd also keep my eye on the Magic. If they don't get to the finals and Carter keeps playing like he did when I watched him in the first round, they might be looking trade.