Deleterious

2010 Pistons Offseason Thread

This post should provide most of the relevant info regarding the upcoming offseason for the Pistons. I doubt everything is perfect, so please point out my mistakes so I can correct them.

Cap Situation

[B][SIZE="2"]Player	                   2010/2011[/SIZE][/B]
Richard Hamilton $12,500,000
Tayshaun Prince $11,147,760
Ben Gordon $10,800,000
Charlie Villanueva $7,020,000
Jason Maxiell $5,000,000
Chris Wilcox $3,000,000
Rodney Stuckey $2,767,126
Austin Daye $1,803,720
Jonas Jerebko $762,195
Dajuan Summers $762,195
1st Round Pick #5 $2,182,000
Total salaries: $57,744,996
Total w/o options $53,220,606

Spreadsheet version can be found here.

Salary Cap - Wont be set until sometime around July 1. Most seem to think $53 is the area it will be. Lower would not shock me.

Luxury Tax - Who knows. It has nothing to do with the cap. Safe to say this will drop by a decent amount. $65 million is probably a decent ballpark figure. Here is how it is determined. BRI stands for basketball related income.

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

The tax level is determined prior to the season, and is computed by taking 61% of projected BRI, subtracting projected benefits ($112 million in 2005-06), and adjusting for whether the previous season's BRI was above or below projections. They then divide by the number of teams (except expansion teams in their first two seasons) to arrive at the tax level.

So 11 players signed and a cap hit of $57 million. They aren't cutting Summers or Jerebko and even if Wilcox opts out they are still on the hook for $54 million. Safe to say they will be over the cap. So what options does that leave them for free agency?

MLE - Won't know this exact figure until July either. It's an average of all player salaries in the league, so I doubt this goes down and could even go up. It was $5.8 million this year, so lets just use that again. A 5 year deal with that $5.8 million number plus 8% annual raises would total just over $34 million. So it isn't huge, but its a decent chunk of change to toss around.

Bi-annual exception (BAE) - This is already set in the CBA. Next year it will be $2.08 million. You can use it every other year and I am pretty sure the Pistons did not use it last year, so they can this year. They can use this plus the MLE, but you cant combine them to sign one player.

So assuming the Pistons don't keep any of their own free agents, they don't cut Jerebko or Summers, and Wilcox doesn't opt out, they will have roughly $8 million to use this summer.

Our Free Agents

Kwame Brown and Chucky Atkins - I see no way either is back next year.

Ben Wallace - They would probably be interested in signing Ben for another year. If nothing else, to mentor any potential big men they draft. The problem is, they do not have his Bird rights. So they will have to use the MLE or BAE to sign him. That hurts.

Will Bynum - They probably want him back. Anything over $3 million per and they should let him walk. A lot depends on the draft and free agency. If they get Wall, goodbye Bynum. If they want to use the full MLE and BAE they almost have to let Bynum go or they come really close to the luxury tax.

Key Dates

April 14 - Last game of the year. At this time the Pistons can start making trades again. Only with teams who are out of the playoffs. As teams get eliminated, they can also start to trade again.

June 24 - NBA Draft. Not sure when they set the lottery teams. Sometime during the first or second round of the playoffs I think. Visit our draft thread.

July 1 - Quite a bit happens here. All player movement is frozen. The salary cap, luxury tax, and MLE are all announced around this time. Teams can start to negotiate with free agents. But they can not sign anyone yet.

July 8 - I believe this is the first day teams can sign free agents. It might be the 7th though. Trades can happen again.

2010 Free agent list

RealGM: Trade Checker

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

ShamSports.com: NBA Salaries index

DraftExpress: Salaries

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on what direction they should go this summer.

Should they keep any of our FA's? Who should they target in free agency? Who would you target in a trade?

Funny part about that salary list is that the ones that stick out as horrible to me are last year's signings: Gordon and CV. Rip and Tay aren't great contracts, but at least they're players who can contribute at a high level and would benefit greatly from a solid big man or PG that we could have added with the money we wasted on Gordon and CV.

Either way, this team needs serious work.

1) Trade one of the SGs (Rip, Stuckey, or Gordon) and something else (Max?) for a high first rounder so we can pick up two bigs (let's say Favors and Whiteside).

2) Grab a serviceable veteran PG with the MLE.

3) Dangle Tay's expiring either before or during the season for a good young PG.

4) Re-sign Ben Wallace on the cheap to mentor the draft picks.

5) Keep Bynum as a backup PG if he comes at a reasonable amount.

Bring back Ben with the MLE. Let Bynum go, I like him but they can get similar-ish production from either a draft pick or cheaper FA signing. Try to move Rip. Also try to move Tay but the best deal for him might come in-season.

Not really looking for any FA signings.

At this point, it looks to be a worse off-season than last year in my opinion. Seems to me that just about all the moves are going to be dependent on other moves. Where and who we draft seems to be the big starting domino for all of it.

I'd like to see Ben and Bynum back, but like everyone else, not at a huge cost.

I'd like to see Joe actually execute a decent trade that includes either Rip, Tay or both. I don't think that will happen, but I just see that their time is over. It would be awesome if they could rid themselves of CV as well, but again, I don't think that will happen as well.

I hope there isn't going to be a coaching change this off-season unless Joe is not the man anymore. Even then, depending on who would replace Joe, I'd like to see Kuester get a chance to prove he can be a head coach.

A free agent PG or big man would be nice, but I don't expect that.

It would be great if someone convinced Wilcox to opt out, but I get the feeling he won't.

1 and 3 are completely improbable.

1 is EXTREMELY unlikely. It's a good bet 3 will happen.

No. 1 is just about inconceivable.

No. 3: You could dangle that expiring deal – but you'd like get a project type guy at best for it at this point.

I don't believe it's inconceivable at all. I'm not talking about a top 5 pick here, I'm talking about 10-15. That's very doable with either Rip, Gordon, or Stuckey and a future first rounder and taking back a contract that the other team wants to be rid of.

As for Tay, were you thinking I wanted Deron Williams in return? Heck, I'd take a guy like Kirk Heinrich (this is a "for instance" so don't bother to pick it apart). You could definitely get a guy of that level for someone to test drive Tay and get his expiring contract.

I don't believe it's inconceivable at all. I'm not talking about a top 5 pick here, I'm talking about 10-15. That's very doable with either Rip, Gordon, or Stuckey and a future first rounder and taking back a contract that the other team wants to be rid of.

As for Tay, were you thinking I wanted Deron Williams in return? Heck, I'd take a guy like Kirk Heinrich (this is a "for instance" so don't bother to pick it apart). You could definitely get a guy of that level for someone to test drive Tay and get his expiring contract.

Doubt it, they had better offers from the Lakers and didn't bite..

Funny part about that salary list is that the ones that stick out as horrible to me are last year's signings: Gordon and CV. Rip and Tay aren't great contracts, but at least they're players who can contribute at a high level and would benefit greatly from a solid big man or PG that we could have added with the money we wasted on Gordon and CV.

Either way, this team needs serious work.

1) Trade one of the SGs (Rip, Stuckey, or Gordon) and something else (Max?) for a high first rounder so we can pick up two bigs (let's say Favors and Whiteside).

2) Grab a serviceable veteran PG with the MLE.

3) Dangle Tay's expiring either before or during the season for a good young PG.

4) Re-sign Ben Wallace on the cheap to mentor the draft picks.

5) Keep Bynum as a backup PG if he comes at a reasonable amount.

1. sheesh..

2. Who would that be..just what we need TJ Ford

3. <shakes head> they better dangle something on the end of Tayshaun like a Picasso or a bag of gold coins..

4. Possible

5. That Bynum thing again, last year he cost us Lawson.. now what damage will he cause.

...5. That Bynum thing again, last year he cost us Lawson.. now what damage will he cause.

Truthfully, I think it was Joe's delu...ahem...thinking that Stuckey can be a molded into a point guard along with signing Gordon that cost us that, not Bynum.

The draft is the key to the offseason. The Pistons need to find a way to pick up an extra first round pick and get two quality young players in this draft.

If Stuckey stays, let Bynum walk. If we trade Stuckey, then we either have to bring back Bynum or find another point guard as a stopgap solution until we can solve the point guard position long term.

The only other move that has to be made between now and next February is trading Tayshaun. It does not have to be this summer but it has to get done before he reaches free agency. We have to turn his expiring contract into something of value.

I would also look to move Daye since I think Jerebko is our small forward next year and beyond.

I could go either way with Ben. He would be a nice mentor for some young players but this team is not going anywhere with or without him so if he goes to play for a contender, so be it.

Many of the moves other then the obvious move Hamilton/Tayshaun bit will be dictated by the draft position. If somehow they end up with #1, then they can leverage Stuckey to dump contracts, if #2 maybe someone wants Turner and they can trade down and dump Hamilton or pick up additional assets. If #3 and below, they are probably just stuck with best guess of the bigmen with potential. I think Tayshaun probably gets traded next year in season, unless someone strikes out this off season, and wants to reload for 2011.

Truthfully, I think it was Joe's delu...ahem...thinking that Stuckey can be a molded into a point guard along with signing Gordon that cost us that, not Bynum.

Maybe..but he also believed Bynum would be a solid back up and there was no need for Lawson. No possible way he could have believed the talent of Austin Daye was too vast for him to pass up.

He gave Gordon $55 million even though he already had 3 SG's. If he thought Lawson was good enough he wouldn't have an issue drafting him. I believe he really though/thinks Daye is good.

He gave Gordon $55 million even though he already had 3 SG's. If he thought Lawson was good enough he wouldn't have an issue drafting him. I believe he really though/thinks Daye is good.

Makes me feel better..cant wait to let him start drafting and rebuilding..

Edited by sportz4life

How many years do the three SGs have, Gordon, Hamilton, and Stuckey all have?

Stuckey has two more years, but both are 1 year things the Pistons have to renew. But they will extend him this or next summer most likely. Rip has 3 more years, the last is only partially guaranteed and Gordon has 4 more. This is all after this year.

Makes me feel better..cant wait to let him start drafting and rebuilding..bey he has been all over country scouting..

Dartboard_05.jpg

Stuckey has two more years, but both are 1 year things the Pistons have to renew. But they will extend him this or next summer most likely. Rip has 3 more years, the last is only partially guaranteed and Gordon has 4 more. This is all after this year.

That is good we have an option on Stuckey after this year. I thought he was a free agent after this year. If we can somehow move Rip or Gordon in the next two years, then we can keep Stuckey and I think that would be beneficial for the rebuilding process.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65838/20100408/2010_11_cap_could_be_higher_than_$54_million/

2010-11 Cap Could Be Higher Than $54 Million

Multiple team executives told CBSSports.com that they have raised their estimate of the 2010-2011 salary cap to $53 million, and several are optimistic that the figure will exceed $54 million.

Ken Berger reports that when the July free-agent sweepstakes get underway, Donnie Walsh will be looking for a shot-blocking center and more physical, defensive-minded big men. Walsh may also go shopping for a point guard, unless the Knicks are able to sign a prime scorer who can initiate the offense.

Berger mentions an example of a sign-and-trade of David Lee to the Blazers in exchange for Andre Miller and/or Joel Pryzbilla.

They need to find ways to dump some of those longer term salaries that are going to hinder this team.

I think Charlie V is the most likely one the Pistons could dangle, and someone probably will bite. People are always looking for big men that can develop because there are so few of them out there. There's a reason Charlie V has been on three teams - people give big men extra chances. He's the equivalent of a lefty pitcher in baseball that people are hoping will pan out. Of course, this creates a great need for a big man, but it wasn't like Charlie V played the role of a big man for us anytime this season anyway.

I'd keep Ben if you can keep him cheap. I think he's been one of the few constants this year and minus a few rumblings on this board in the thread the other day, I've heard nothing to suggest he's been a cancer. In fact, while his play has declined (minus a few good games lately) and he's missed a few games, I don't know if there's been a Piston more consistent than he's been this year. I think having him can help mold a young player or two if the Pistons get that.

The contracts have the Pistons locked in a tough situation. Few are tradeable, at least in my opinion. Finding a way to relieve yourself of Prince and/or Hamilton are key. You need to be able to create manuverability to find players that are great finds out there. They are always out there, but the Pistons are handcuffed with their finances to be able to pursue those people. Prince may be an option. With his contract a year away from expiring, you may be able to find something out there during this offseason. However, it's probably going to come at the cost of someone being locked in 2+ years - and the salaries would have to match. Suddenly, eating Prince's contract ourselves seems to be the most viable option entering next year. That leaves Hamilton, or maybe Gordon since their contracts are very similar. Somehow, the Pistons need to find a way to get at least one of those two contracts off the books and translate it into something that can help this team move forward. How the heck do you do it? I don't know. I'm not the GM. But it needs to be done.

This team is really trapped into some crappy, over-priced and long-term contracts. Joe D created it. He has, at least, a year to figure out how to get out of this mess.

If there was ever a time to hit on the draft, this is the year to do it. It seems to be the only way this team can improve itself without another team being directly involved taking something away from you that doesn't seem very appealing. You better find something Joe.