wingnut736

Hudler to return next season?

This was on another board, and good luck reading the article, but here's the link: МоÑковÑкое «Динамо» покинут еще два дорогоÑтоÑщих легионера. - ÐовоÑти - СоветÑкий Ñпорт

Apparent translation:

Jiri Hudler and Karel Rachunek joined Czech national team to participate in upcoming World championship.

According to Soviet Sport, they are not planning to return to Dinamo KHL despite having one more year left in their contracts.

Hudler is going back to Detroit, while Rachunek plans to resume his NHL career.

Edited by wingnut736

that came up earlier this year too. Holland sounded optimistic. Maybe Hudler just wanted a chance to cash out and play at home in his prime. Nothing wrong with that. The Wings seemed to always think this would happen as they never bad mouthed his decision, the players all seemed to understand. And they've kept themselves in position to take on his contract.

For all intents and purposes Hudler's wearing red and white next season. Holland has been working hard to make it happen. Not sure who's out though. Some suggested Williams. I'm not convinced of that yet, but he's probably the most likely.

Here's the often-reliable George Malik of MLive on the matter this morning:

If Dynamo Moscow 'parts' with estranged Red Wings forward Jiri Hudler, things could get ugly | MLive.com

It was the NHL, not the Red Wings, who filed a grievance regarding Hudler's IIHF player transfer card last summer in an attempt to prevent restricted free agents from leaving North America, and that grievance was what tied the Wings' budgetary hands on the free agent market until the IIHF suggested that it would side with the KHL and allow Hudler to officially leave the U.S. for Russia (and setting a precedent of tacitly allowing the KHL to poach the NHL's restricted free agents).

I would imagine that if Hudler does indeed decide to leave the $5 million contract he has with Dynamo (or whichever KHL team bids for his services), the KHL would raise a royal stink regarding the sanctity of its players' "valid contracts," and I doubt that the IIHF would side with the NHL--nor would the KHL allow Hudler to return without a fight and demands of financial compensation because the KHL wants to establish a per-player transfer agreement based upon a player's perceived value.

The NHL cannot engage in paying any hockey-related revenues for per-player transfer agreements per the rules of the CBA, and the NHL is highly adverse to the Russian concept thereof...

So if Dynamo's budget is cut and/or Golovkov decides to purge the roster, he'll attempt to move Hudler to another KHL team, and if he does suggest that Hudler's free to leave to the team of his choosing, things will get ugly, fast.

The terms and conditions of Hudler's 'Contract' with Dynamo/KHL are what matters most and it stands to reason that Holland knows what they are. Probably the biggest factor is Hudler's attitude and desire to return to Motown.

I heard playing in the KHL was far from the same life as the NHL. Apparently its a really shady business.

I would welcome Huds back, and im sure Holland and co. have planned for it.

I heard playing in the KHL was far from the same life as the NHL. Apparently its a really shady business.

I would welcome Huds back, and im sure Holland and co. have planned for it.

Heard they drink a lot more vodka in between games ... :grin:

And other extracurriculars that I know Hudler loves...

There's only Wine, women or song. Is there another vice?:ponder:

You know, if the whole IIHF/KHL thing were no issue and Hudler wanted to come back, it would seem to me that Williams is the obvious odd man out.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Yeah, unlike some people I wasn't upset when Williams was signed, but he's a bit of a nothing. I'd take Hudler, even at the higher price.

Before anyone gets there nut off here.

Does DRW have any "rights" to Jiri .... Is it only money? :rambo:

I think if he comes back the NHL he's tied to the arbitration result unless released by the Wings.

Hmm. Explain oh great one Karniak.

:confused:

An arbitrator has awarded Russia-bound forward Jiri Hudler a two-year deal worth $5.75 million if he ever returns to play for the Detroit Red Wings. If Hudler came back to the NHL he would be bound to that contract, unless the Wings released him.

That's how arbitration works... the arbitrator sets the contract to be had between player and team. The team can release him with no penalty if they don't like the terms, but otherwise it is like they negotiated on the terms and both sides are bound...

OK. with respect to Jiri, ... are we there yet? Jeri would be a big plus in 2011. I'm thinking if we get him back ... 20 goals plus.