cruzer1

Early 3 round mock draft...

Ironically, Donovan Warren.

Small and slow is not a good combination for a corner.

Small and slow is not a good combination for a corner.

I don't think he is small, in fact he is definately long, which is good. That 40 time makes him 3rd day material though.

I might be a little bit wrong about Warren, it seems like he's had an ankle injury that has hampered him in the off-season, plus he ran a 4.55 forty at his pro day somewhat elevates his stock. I thought he was shorter, but he has good size, but might move to safety. I see him going late in the draft, but I think he will be drafted.

Here's an interesting 3 round mock by GBN. This is a very nice take for the Lions. I think all 3 players (Suh, Brown, Ghee) are possible first round picks.

Great Blue North Draft Report

I would love that draft.

I would love that draft.

RB would still be a huge need. They need a point scorer.

I would love that draft as well. I wonder if Vlad Ducasse will really go that low.

I would love that draft as well. I wonder if Vlad Ducasse will really go that low.

That's about right for him.

RB would still be a huge need. They need a point scorer.

That's the first thing I thought as well. I don't think they'll go 3 rounds without drafting a RB. If Hardesty is there in the 3rd, I'd nab him.

Another 7 rd mock out there has the Lions picking RB Chris Brown from Oklahoma in the 5th round. That draft has the Lions picking:

1st - Suh

2nd - Demaryius Thomas

3rd - Ricky Sapp

4th - George Selvie

5th - Chris Brown

7th - Austin Steichen

7th - Elijah Hodge

Nary a DB which I don't see happening.

Another 7 rd mock out there has the Lions picking RB Chris Brown from Oklahoma in the 5th round. That draft has the Lions picking:

1st - Suh

2nd - Demaryius Thomas

3rd - Ricky Sapp

4th - George Selvie

5th - Chris Brown

7th - Austin Steichen

7th - Elijah Hodge

Nary a DB which I don't see happening.

I don't think Selvie is worth drafting. He doesn't do anything well.

Here are the players I would target in descending order for each round

1: OT Okung, DT Suh, DT McCoy

2: DT Price, OG/C Pouncey, OG Saffold, CB McCourty

3: RB Hardesty, CB Ghee, OT Veldheer, OG Asamoah, OT Ducasse

4: SS Rolle, LB Lee -- very volatile in mock drafts and I would pick him in the 4th, WR Ford, DE Gibson

Sleeper Pick in 5/7: DT Worthington -- high motor guy I like

From my view of the draft, I think we would end up with Okung, McCourty, Hardesty, and Rolle. I would like a little more attention to the lines but I don't think Price, Pouncey, or Saffold will be there in the second round.

Edited by osurower

Here are the players I would target in descending order for each round

1: OT Okung, DT Suh, DT McCoy

2: DT Price, OG/C Pouncey, OG Saffold, CB McCourty

3: RB Hardesty, CB Ghee, OT Veldheer, OG Asamoah, OT Ducasse

4: SS Rolle, LB Lee -- very volatile in mock drafts and I would pick him in the 4th, WR Ford, DE Gibson

Sleeper Pick in 5/7: DT Worthington -- high motor guy I like

From my view of the draft, I think we would end up with Okung, McCourty, Hardesty, and Rolle. I would like a little more attention to the lines but I don't think Price, Pouncey, or Saffold will be there in the second round.

How many DT's do the Lions need? They might be fine now, with Corey Williams added to the mix. They have Hill, and both Cohens. They don't need more than one added to that mix, especially when there are issues elsewhere. If they draft Suh, Suh might play the one technique on the nose, with Williams at the three. I'm starting to think like Bucky Brooks now and think the Lions might be going for Okung in the first. Brian Price has been mediocre in his workouts, and doesn't impress me in the least. The Lions have needs in the secondary, and they could always use more pass rushers. Offensively, they have the black hole at the LG position, and a huge need at RB and WR. They also might need another TE to help score points.

Also, I'm fairly high on Sean Lee, I don't think he'll last this long, but he's a medical question.

Like Cruzer said, and I've been saying it since we aquired Williams, Okung makes the most sense at 2OA. I wouldn't be shocked if they took someone that we're not even talking about either...think Berry, Haden...or Spiller if we TD and I really really really believe we will trade down, it just makes too much sense even if we don't get full value to move down a few spots.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that through all of our off season moves we've just given ourselves flexability at a lot of our need positions so we're not strapped when the draft comes, we can just draft BPA. The only place we haven't improved yet that is a need is our O-Line. There was all this talk about Backus having an allpro year from Schwartz, which is true, he had a good year, but I believe the staff realizes that we can kill two birds with one stone and secure our future LT and sure up the LG spot by kicking Backus inside. Just my honest opinion, seems like that's how the planets are aligning right now.

Edited by GuitarGod19

How many DT's do the Lions need? They might be fine now, with Corey Williams added to the mix. They have Hill, and both Cohens. They don't need more than one added to that mix, especially when there are issues elsewhere. If they draft Suh, Suh might play the one technique on the nose, with Williams at the three. I'm starting to think like Bucky Brooks now and think the Lions might be going for Okung in the first. Brian Price has been mediocre in his workouts, and doesn't impress me in the least. The Lions have needs in the secondary, and they could always use more pass rushers. Offensively, they have the black hole at the LG position, and a huge need at RB and WR. They also might need another TE to help score points.

Also, I'm fairly high on Sean Lee, I don't think he'll last this long, but he's a medical question.

I personally think Okung will be the pick at 2.

I haven't seen the workouts on Price but I like the 41 solo/23.5 TFL/7 sack performance for the season. He recorded 5/2/0 against USC, 1/0.5/0 against OSU, 2/1/0 against Arizona, 2/2/0 against Stanford, 5/4/2 against Tennessee, so he did disappear in a few of the larger games but he can be force. I know this goes against popular opinion on this board but I'm not as high on Sammie Lee Hill as other people and I think he would better suited in a rotation. I really doubt Pouncey will be there and I would really struggle if both he and Price were on the board. Saffold and McCourty/Wilson are really nice consolation prizes.

I would consider a player like Dorin Dickerson in the mid 3rd but I think there will be higher values on the board. I'm not very sold on any WR in this draft. Too many seem to have character, performance, or physical issues.

Don't pass up Suh or McCoy for Okung, it would be a terrible mistake. If you want Okung you need to trade down, don't take a lesser player just because you've aquired a couple of journeyman to fill the line.

I personally think Okung will be the pick at 2.

I haven't seen the workouts on Price but I like the 41 solo/23.5 TFL/7 sack performance for the season. He recorded 5/2/0 against USC, 1/0.5/0 against OSU, 2/1/0 against Arizona, 2/2/0 against Stanford, 5/4/2 against Tennessee, so he did disappear in a few of the larger games but he can be force. I know this goes against popular opinion on this board but I'm not as high on Sammie Lee Hill as other people and I think he would better suited in a rotation. I really doubt Pouncey will be there and I would really struggle if both he and Price were on the board. Saffold and McCourty/Wilson are really nice consolation prizes.

I would consider a player like Dorin Dickerson in the mid 3rd but I think there will be higher values on the board. I'm not very sold on any WR in this draft. Too many seem to have character, performance, or physical issues.

Dickerson is a stud, and will be a hot commodity in the 2nd.

I don't pay much attention to stats regarding prospects at all. Price has a sloppy body, and is a nose tackle in a smaller body. He fits a 3-4 better than the 4-3. If you take Okung, there isn't much of a need for another offensive lineman. Slide Backus into LG, and there are already backups in place everywhere.

Don't pass up Suh or McCoy for Okung, it would be a terrible mistake. If you want Okung you need to trade down, don't take a lesser player just because you've aquired a couple of journeyman to fill the line.

I disagree. I think Okung belongs in the conversation, and financially fits better. DT is a riskier pick than LT.

Dickerson is a stud, and will be a hot commodity in the 2nd.

I don't pay much attention to stats regarding prospects at all. Price has a sloppy body, and is a nose tackle in a smaller body. He fits a 3-4 better than the 4-3. If you take Okung, there isn't much of a need for another offensive lineman. Slide Backus into LG, and there are already backups in place everywhere.

I would draft Okung and Pouncey and cut Backus because I don't believe he is worth 5.95/5.45 mil for 2010/2011. This would make a future O-line of Okung, Pouncey, and Cherilous with later round projects or FA guards. I really liked what the Jets did a few years ago with Ferguson and Mangold and I would repeat it with these two guys.

I really like Dickerson but I wouldn't spend our 2nd or 3rd round pick on him after we took Pettigrew in the 1st last year. There are other prospects with higher value to the Lions than Dickerson in these rounds.

I would draft Okung and Pouncey and cut Backus because I don't believe he is worth 5.95/5.45 mil for 2010/2011. This would make a future O-line of Okung, Pouncey, and Cherilous with later round projects or FA guards. I really liked what the Jets did a few years ago with Ferguson and Mangold and I would repeat it with these two guys.

I really like Dickerson but I wouldn't spend our 2nd or 3rd round pick on him after we took Pettigrew in the 1st last year. There are other prospects with higher value to the Lions than Dickerson in these rounds.

It isn't going to happen, and would be a stupid move. Backus hasn't missed a start in his NFL career. That has to count for a lot. Plus, he had a really good year last year. Schwartz felt that he should have gone to the Pro Bowl, and I agree. Pouncey is a better center than guard, imo.

You're also wasting high picks, and throwing aside good players. Not the way the Lions should build their team.

I'm not telling you where I'd draft Dickerson, but TE's who run like he does (he's more of an H-back, or a Dustin Keller type) usually get drafted in the first two rounds. The Lions are looking at other TE's later in the draft, such as Oregon's Ed Dickson.

Personally I am more intrigued by Jimmy Graham than Dickson. His raw talent is undeniable and he carries enough question marks to move him down the draft. He would be unable to contribute as a blocker in his first year, but with Heller and Pettigrew that's not a problem.

I completely agree with this. Take the BPA available which is one of the DTs. There is more of a risk but also more of a reward.

It isn't going to happen, and would be a stupid move. Backus hasn't missed a start in his NFL career. That has to count for a lot. Plus, he had a really good year last year. Schwartz felt that he should have gone to the Pro Bowl, and I agree. Pouncey is a better center than guard, imo.

You're also wasting high picks, and throwing aside good players. Not the way the Lions should build their team.

I'm not telling you where I'd draft Dickerson, but TE's who run like he does (he's more of an H-back, or a Dustin Keller type) usually get drafted in the first two rounds. The Lions are looking at other TE's later in the draft, such as Oregon's Ed Dickson.

I don't view drafting Pouncey and Okung as wasted picks at all. This team will not be good in 2011 (end of Backus' contract) and he will not be a building block at his age anyway. I feel the same way with Raiola, so I would draft Pouncey this year and put him at guard to gain some experience and then slide him to center in two years.