cruzer1

Early 3 round mock draft...

Jerome Murphy is high on my list of CB "gets".

I would pick him in the 3rd, or Morgan Burnett, S. Actually, I like alot of the safeties coming out this year so I'd wait to see which one falls to the 5th round... But I really like Murphy better than any of the later round (meaning, after the 1st two rounds) CB's.

I don't see Ciron Black taken yet. I want him at the top of the 4th.

Suh, Best, Murphy, Black, Myron Rolle?

Black is a right tackle only, and doesn't make sense when the Lions already are set there. He shouldn't even be on the Lions radar. Jered Veldheer would be high on my list for the fourth round pick.

His new throwing motion is vastly improving his stock. It wouldn't shock me if he was drafted in the first. Remember, we're also talking about high end physical skills here. He also has great arm strength. The knock is his release, and it's vastly improved.

The knock on him is much more than his release. I agree - he's getting a lot of buzz from his show - as I said prob the second.

But wait 3 years and we'll all agree he should have been in the 5'th.

Black is a right tackle only, and doesn't make sense when the Lions already are set there. He shouldn't even be on the Lions radar. Jered Veldheer would be high on my list for the fourth round pick.

He can't play Guard?

Best in the 2nd scares me. He never had a season where he didn't have some sort of injury. If we are going to go quick/speed guy there...I would go with McCluster, plus he is more versitile than Best. I would rather go with Gehart anyway. Grind clock, get first downs, sets up playaction to CJ and takes more presure off Stafford.

If the Lions were to pick a DE in the 3rd round and Alex Carrington is still available, I have to admit I'd be a little steamed if they passed on him. I like the first two picks, although I'm still holding out hope that the Lions trade down and get some extra picks.

I think Carrington would be a good third rounder too.

I'd like to restrict the Lions picks to defensive players only, although I would accept offensive lineman. You can scheme offense, you can't scheme defense, defense takes talent.

I think Carrington would be a good third rounder too.

Carrington is a different player, doesn't fit that position in the Lions defensive scheme as well as Gibson. Another player that fits that position well is Jason Worilds. Brandon Graham would be perfect, but he'd be long gone. It wouldn't shock me if the Lions took Worilds in the 2nd.

I'd like to restrict the Lions picks to defensive players only, although I would accept offensive lineman. You can scheme offense, you can't scheme defense, defense takes talent.

They could use a running back, which would help the offense and defense.

Kevin Seifert weights on the Suh/Okung (Hargrove) debate.

Have at it: Okung vs. Suh - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Two things I think he is missing:

1. Even if you think Hargrove is athletic as Suh, Suh's productivity is off the charts for a DT prospect and I think is a huge factor in why he is such a highly rated prospect.

2. He does not address the fact the Lions would have to give up a third round pick to obtain Hargrove.

I do agree with the theory though that if the Lions sign Hargrove, they are most likely going to draft Okung.

The only way the Lions should even think about an RFA trade would be to trade places in the third much farther down the line. Like the Seahawks did to pick up that quarterback. Now they are probably going to be much more willing to trade a 2nd for a RFA.

Best in the 2nd scares me. He never had a season where he didn't have some sort of injury. If we are going to go quick/speed guy there...I would go with McCluster, plus he is more versitile than Best. I would rather go with Gehart anyway. Grind clock, get first downs, sets up playaction to CJ and takes more presure off Stafford.

I agree with you. The injuries are concern. But the biggest reason I would pass on Best is because I just don't want a running back with that second round pick. McCluster would be a reach there. If McCluster falls to the third, then I would take him.

Edited by Hart

I would even take Veldheer in the third round.

They could use a running back, which would help the offense and defense.

I agree we need a burner RB in the mix. Best or McCluster would be good. I'd be pretty happy with Cruzer's mock if it fell that way for the Lions. Like others have said, Best's durability is the only thing that makes me hesitate about him. The same was said about AD coming out too. He got hurt each year.

It's funny how people can be so different, I've seen mocks with Hughes going in the first. I was shocked to see Spikes going in the 3rd round considering all the hype he's had for most of his career. I'm not a Spikes fan, but it was surprising.

On a side note, I've seen at least a couple mocks that have Graham there in the 2nd. If he is, would you say take him over the RB's there? I would. Not sure we'd get the speedy RB we need though. I don't know a lot of the players coming out. Are there good RB's worth taking in the 3rd-4th rounds you think that can contribute immediately?

I agree we need a burner RB in the mix. Best or McCluster would be good. I'd be pretty happy with Cruzer's mock if it fell that way for the Lions. Like others have said, Best's durability is the only thing that makes me hesitate about him. The same was said about AD coming out too. He got hurt each year.

It's funny how people can be so different, I've seen mocks with Hughes going in the first. I was shocked to see Spikes going in the 3rd round considering all the hype he's had for most of his career. I'm not a Spikes fan, but it was surprising.

On a side note, I've seen at least a couple mocks that have Graham there in the 2nd. If he is, would you say take him over the RB's there? I would. Not sure we'd get the speedy RB we need though. I don't know a lot of the players coming out. Are there good RB's worth taking in the 3rd-4th rounds you think that can contribute immediately?

Yeah. The problem is that Best has had injuries and now a major concussion. I don't think Peterson had a concussion issue in college. I really like Best and think he could be a good pick at #34 depending on who's there. Based on Cruzer's mock and where everyone went, I'd agree that Best should be the pick. Concussions just really scare me for a running back....

Edited by tigerkid23

I agree we need a burner RB in the mix. Best or McCluster would be good.

I would counter your injury concerns over Best with concerns over if McCluster would hold up. I dont think he would as a every down back. The truth is that you cant pick or forecast injurys, and if you could you would make alot of money. Players beat up in college may be surprisingly healthy in the NFL and durable players may be troubled with injurys. Sure you can use evidence to point you a direction and make a informed guess but you are still just guessing.

I see McCluster as more of a luxary type player, who helps on special teams and can split out wide but I dont see him as a every down back. I view him as more of a gimmick type back, and I think he will be very good in that role.

Best, to me, is more complete then McCluster and I see him as a speed type back, ALA: a poor mans Chris Johnson. I dont see him coming in as a rookie and being the guy but I think that in our situation he would be a good guy to team with Morris and complement one another. His concussion last season really looked like more of a freak injury then anything to me.

If Graham falls to the second then yes, I think that you take him. But I dont think he falls that far. His stock has gone up with the Senior Bowl and I think between 10th and 20th is about right for him.

A thing to consider about most mocks, is they are not always put together by the best sources. They do not factor in the late risers before the draft or who teams sign in free agency leading up to the draft. Also, you have one team trade up or down and it changes everything.

I read a piece on the National Football Post wrote by a agent about the dangers of the mock draft...it was a good read.

McCluster can't block to save his life. He's a niche player, really. More valuable as a slot WR.

One guy I missed on with this mock is Roger Saffold of Indiana. I really like him, and he's versatile.

Prediction: Tebow to Buffalo in the 2nd.

I'm saying to Jacksonville but don't know which round. It's possible they'll try and trade around at some point to pick him up.

As far as how we look coming out, I'd be alright with that, but I agree with whoever mentioned Robinson as a target in the 2nd over Best, but honestly wouldn't be upset with either pick.

The thing that bothers me about Tebow is his tendency. Sure, he improved leaps and bounds on his release....in shorts....put a pass rush in his face and suddenly his mechanics revert back to what he's always done. You can't perform on the field if you are thinking about your mechanics, it has to be a natural motion and it's going to take years of development before it's natural to him. Example...in Kurt Warner's first SB, Vermeil was constantly commenting on how Kurt was dropping his arm while passing because of the pressure, he wasn't a refined QB yet. Now, obviously he worked it out and became a great passer, but mechanics during game time change from mechanics in shorts.

Example...in Kurt Warner's first SB, Vermeil was constantly commenting on how Kurt was dropping his arm while passing because of the pressure, he wasn't a refined QB yet. Now, obviously he worked it out and became a great passer, but mechanics during game time change from mechanics in shorts.

This sounds like a pretty nice argument for taking Tim Tebow high. :)

Rob

Rob

Unfortunately...it's the exception, not the rule...but it isn't impossible.

Byron Leftwich is someone I'd point out that never reached his potential because of a bad delivery...

Rob

Except Warner still had a quick release, and threw a good deep ball. Tebow has a slow release and cannot throw the deep ball well.