Sign in to follow this  
Hongbit

Why not Berry?

Okung makes the Lions significantly better at two critical positions, LT and LG. Id rather not take him at 2 but the Lions cant pass up that opportunity.

I agree.

Although I would be happy with Suh too.

to answer the question of why not Berry is simple. No successful team is built on two good safties. More than most successful teams have good to very good defensive lines w/ depth. We have already started on this track with and should get the next big piece in the draft. To not take Sue or McCoy is stupid makes us look even more inept than we already do. I would somewhat understand a LT pick except I don't think Okung is that guy. This is a no-brainer pick, even easier than last year.

to answer the question of why not Berry is simple. No successful team is built on two good safties. More than most successful teams have good to very good defensive lines w/ depth. We have already started on this track with and should get the next big piece in the draft. To not take Sue or McCoy is stupid makes us look even more inept than we already do. I would somewhat understand a LT pick except I don't think Okung is that guy. This is a no-brainer pick, even easier than last year.

IF they stay at #2. A trade down opens up alot of interesting possibilities...

I agree. Suh makes this pick a no brainer.

I still have some questions regarding Delmas. He has proved himself a playmaker but I don't know how good he is going to be in pass coverage. The fact that Berry is so versatile makes him very appealing. With that said, even if Suh is not there, I would still have a hard time drafting Berry. If McCoy and Berry are basically graded out equally, and it appears they are, then you might as well stick with the defensive tackle.

Never take a safety over a stud left tackle.
Disagree on the first part, agree with the second part. Either way, you take the LT or DT over the S.

A team that has one legitimate win in two seasons should not be bothered by position value. They need to take the best player that fits their system.

Five years from now, the only thing that will matter about this draft is how good is the player they picked vs. those on the short list they passed on. Which was the bigger need at that moment or unwritten rules on the value of positions won't matter at all.

A team that has one legitimate win in two seasons should not be bothered by position value. They need to take the best player that fits their system.

Five years from now, the only thing that will matter about this draft is how good is the player they picked vs. those on the short list they passed on. Which was the bigger need at that moment or unwritten rules on the value of positions won't matter at all.

I agree somewhat, but almost everybody has Suh rated ahead of Berry and Okung and Berry are very similarly rated, its not like we are passing on a guy who is head and shoulders above everyone to take a lesser talent at a position of need.

to answer the question of why not Berry is simple. No successful team is built on two good safties.

Berry is also the top rated corner on many, many draft boards.

More than most successful teams have good to very good defensive lines w/ depth. We have already started on this track with and should get the next big piece in the draft. To not take Sue or McCoy is stupid makes us look even more inept than we already do. I would somewhat understand a LT pick except I don't think Okung is that guy. This is a no-brainer pick, even easier than last year.

Taking the best player available should always be a no-brainer. Position need shouldn't be a factor for teams picking this high in the draft.

I agree somewhat, but almost everybody has Suh rated ahead of Berry and Okung and Berry are very similarly rated, its not like we are passing on a guy who is head and shoulders above everyone to take a lesser talent at a position of need.

Point taken and I don't want to insinuate that I think Berry is better than Suh.

I like Suh alot and wouldn't have any problem with him being taken #2 overall but it should be on the basis of being the best player in the draft not that DT is a need for the 2010 Lions.

I do feel Berry is a better football player than Okung and to my eye appears far more talented and impactful in almost every way. I understand that not everyone will agree with this opinion and that's ok.

Position value can't be ignored. The Lions have been ignoring it way too long and that is why they are in the position they are in.

I don't think anybody is saying you should take a significantly lower rated player based on position value. Those who vouch for Okung have Okung rated very high. If the Lions take Okung, it is not like they are moving down on their draft board and passing over a much better player. Most likely, it would be because they have Okung rated high enough to be considered worthy of that pick. Some think Okung is great left tackle prospect; others think he is a merely a good one. I am not sure what the Lions think but if they picked him at #2, then I think we would have our answer.

Here is the thing about position value. Calvin Johnson is going to fulfill very little of his potential with a crappy quarterback and offensive line. Same with Kevin Jones or Kevin Smith. Guys like Levy, Delmas, and Sims have the same problem on defense. They are limited in how much they can do if the defensive line and corners are just terrible. There is a reason quarterbacks, left tackles, pass rushers, and cover corners get paid more. They are the foundation of the team. They have to be in place for other positions to succeed.

Position value isn't everything but it has to be taken into consideration.

You can't ignore position value. You cannot tie top 2 money up in a safety. Why do you think Bradford is even in the discussion? He's usually not even rated in the top 5 players. How is it basically down to Suh and Bradford for the #1 pick? Bradford is going to be #1. If not, I'd be amazed.

Mayock is wrong. Earl Thomas does nothing better than Berry. He is smaller, slower, less fluid in his movements, less physical against the run etc..etc..

Would you like to wager that Eric Berry goes well ahead of Earl Thomas? 10 spots at least? :>)

Yes, if you're talking about 10 spots, I'll wager some of my dignity.

I would rather have Eric Berry than Suh after picking up Corey Williams.

Not me. Berry is a great athlete but he is not likely to even close to the same impact as a guy like Suh will have on the overall defense. Suh will make Williams and Vanden Bosch better and the boost in pass-rush will improve the secondary tremendously.

Not me. Berry is a great athlete but he is not likely to even close to the same impact as a guy like Suh will have on the overall defense. Suh will make Williams and Vanden Bosch better and the boost in pass-rush will improve the secondary tremendously.

I agree. Its not like Williams and Vanden Bosch have suddenly turned a D- level defensive line into an A or B level D-line. Right now I would say the D-line is a C- or D+.

I agree. Its not like Williams and Vanden Bosch have suddenly turned a D- level defensive line into an A or B level D-line. Right now I would say the D-line is a C- or D+.

Thank You! This is the point that many people seem to miss. Suh is on a different level than Williams or Vanden Bosh. You do not pass on Suh because of Sammie Lee Hill and Corey Williams.

Thank You! This is the point that many people seem to miss. Suh is on a different level than Williams or Vanden Bosh. You do not pass on Suh because of Sammie Lee Hill and Corey Williams.

Strong statement given that Suh hasn't played a down in the NFL yet.

You're right. He's projected to be on a different level. Bosch and Williams should help Suh be all that he can be.

Or....

Berry who has played how many snaps as a CB????? Let alone NFL