Oblong

Granderson Trade Discussion

6. Mike Maroth for Bryce Florie

This is a Randy Smith trade, according to Tom Gage.

I hate giving Randy Smith credit for anything though. :ermm:

Grandy hasn't even had 300 PA's, yet. Its a little early to write him off. And, its not like he's had a bad year. He's been average to a little above average at a premium position.

I was always in favor of the trade. But, Grandy is still a good player and should stay an above average player for the remainder of his contract.

Grandy hasn't even had 300 PA's, yet. Its a little early to write him off. And, its not like he's had a bad year. He's been average to a little above average at a premium position.

I was always in favor of the trade. But, Grandy is still a good player and should stay an above average player for the remainder of his contract.

The issue is he seems to be trending in the wrong direction. Playing in New York should have allowed him to produce even better stats than he did last year due to the advantage that left-handers have in their home ball-park and the line-up that NY is able to put out there on a consistent basis (ie, if Granderson was getting on base at a higher clip he would have a better chance getting a run while NY's line-up than the Tigers...the same could be said for RBIs).

The issue is he seems to be trending in the wrong direction.

This is true, but players trend the wrong way for 3 or so straight seasons all the time and then bounce back. For example, Derek Jeter had 2 such streaks in his career where he had multiple years in a row of declining offensive statistics and he bounced back just fine. Cabrera was trending the wrong way from 06-08, and look where he is now. Go look at a variety of player's career stats and I'm sure you'll see several who have similar trends. This will be true across sports, as well. Players rarely ever have career arcs so defined that their numbers consistently decline every single season w/o any bounce back (unless a significant injury has occurred). The chances that Grandy sees a decline in his offensive production in every single season until he retires are not that good. I wouldn't even be surprised if he ended up breaking that trend before this season is over.

Edited by Scottwood

In this case, it is relevant. They lost him because he didn't break out in time and ran out of options.

Bocachica for Frasor may be DD's worst after Jurrjens

Yup. That's probably worse, but I had forgotten about it.

I just have an irrational hatred of Steve Colyer, and Cody Ross is one of my favorites ever.