Oblong

Granderson Trade Discussion

Bump...

Granderson an Albatross in Many Ways

By Mike Silva ~ July 25th, 2010. Filed under: Mike Silva, New York Yankees.

When I first heard the Curtis Granderson trade this winter I turned up my nose. I thought Austin Jackson, Phil Coke, and Ian Kennedy could provide nice depth for the Yankees in 2010. After listening to individuals from both the New York and Detroit side I warmed up to Granderson in centerfield. All along I couldn’t get out of my head his futile numbers against LHP and the league average offensive year in 2009. It was also alarming that down the stretch last season he hit .223 with an OPS under .700.

As unimpressive 2009 was, 2010 is even less so. Going into today’s action he has 7 homers, 24 RBI, 7 steals, and an OPS of .703. Melky Cabrera was a more productive player last season. Even more frustrating is his production against lefties. His OPS of .555 is worse than career norms. Even the great Kevin Long hasn’t been able to fix Granderson’s ills. The Yankees will probably have to bring in a right handed bat to complement Granderson the last two months.

Now, to be fair, let’s not just throw Granderson from the bridge. Across town Jason Bay is having a similar lousy season. Other stars that came to NY – Chuck Knoblauch, Carlos Beltran, and Roger Clemens – had down first seasons. The problem is Granderson had warts offensively when he was a star player. A lesser version is totally unacceptable.

The main problem with Granderson is the usual issue in baseball: money. He is owed another $20 million the next two years. That’s reasonable, but the Yankees have $137.35 million invested in nine players for next season. As Joel Sherman points out, raises for Hughes and Chamberlain as well as contracts for Jeter and Rivera put them over $200 million very quickly. Despite what information we have at NYBD, Sherman believes the Yankees won’t be able to afford both Dan Haren and Cliff Lee. At the very least they might think twice before splurging for both.

That’s where Granderson comes into play. The Yankees could have Austin Jackson at low cost right now, a valuable lefty reliever in Phil Coke, and Ian Kennedy over Sergio Mitre making starts in Andy Pettitte‘s absence. The money owed to Granderson could easily be earmarked for Haren, plus the pieces you traded to Detroit might be enough to get Haren here without giving up the beloved Joba Chamberlain. To top it off, perhaps we wouldn’t have to speculate about Lee or Haren, rather make it Lee and Haren. Better yet, maybe Werth or Crawford could be more in play.

I have heard enough whispers that Granderson might be one of the first players Cashman tries to move this offseason. Good luck. That appears to be the epitome of fifty cents on the dollar type of trade. No way he gets near the return he gave up. Despite my first impressions I gave the Curtis Granderson trade a chance. I hate to say that my initial reaction was on the money.

Mike Silva's New York Baseball Digest » Blog Archive » Granderson an Albatross in Many Ways

2011 Opening Day Outfield

Austin Jackson CF

Carl Crawford LF

Curtis Granderson RF

B-B-B-B-B-BOO YA!!

Better yet, maybe Werth or Crawford could be more in play.

Maybe we have a chance at getting Crawford after all ... wow.

I'd only go 5/80, tops .. but it'd be nice to get it on that.

Carl Crawford - LF

Austin Jackson - CF

Jayson Werth - RF

...trade Brennan Boesch and Jacob Turner (plus the usual fillers) to Florida for Hanley Ramirez.

Maybe we have a chance at getting Crawford after all ... wow.

I'd only go 5/80, tops .. but it'd be nice to get it on that.

Carl Crawford - LF

Austin Jackson - CF

Jayson Werth - RF

...trade Brennan Boesch and Jacob Turner (plus the usual fillers) to Florida for Hanley Ramirez.

Ha. Sounds like a dream team. Call Dave, Jon, and get it done.

Ha. Sounds like a dream team. Call Dave, Jon, and get it done.

Yeah, emphasis on the word "dream" - lol, but DD should have some interesting options this off season!

I'd easily trade BOSH for a highly established top notch infielder!

I'd easily trade BOSH for a highly established top notch infielder!

Stephen Drew? Kelly Johnson? José Bautista? Someone else?

I think I would too.

It's kind of sad reading Yankees journalists. They talk like they can just sign any bigname player they want in the offseason. I wonder what its like to be a fan of a team that can literally get anything they want.

I think I would too.

Jose Bautista is a highly established top infielder...?

I think I would too.

I was thinking much bigger.

Interesting.. I was really annoyed at the trading of Granderson... In hindsight it has turned out to be a good move for the Tigers; though I am not sure if we would have been any further from a pennant than we are now...or closer.

I always think about how much harder it is to play in NYC because of the Journalist, but I would say compared to a Henning anti-Granderson column, that one was pretty nice

though I am not sure if we would have been any further from a pennant than we are now...or closer.

Really? Doesn't take a genius to see what Jackson, Scherzer and Coke are doing compared to Edwin and Curtis. I'd say it's made at least a few games' difference so far. Not to mention the long-term benefits...

As much as I love Curtis and EJ, this has been one of the Tigers' best trades, ever.

Right up there or better than the Polanco trade?

...or that Cabrera trade?

I watched the Braves game the other night when they scored 8 in the 8th to route the Marlins.

Who pitched that inning... Some guy named Burke Badnehappe-or something. The Marlins didn't get one good player ... not one! We got Miguel Cabrera, who's an MVP candidate, locked up long term and is one of the best players in baseball.

Really? Doesn't take a genius to see what Jackson, Scherzer and Coke are doing compared to Edwin and Curtis. I'd say it's made at least a few games' difference so far. Not to mention the long-term benefits...
Originally Posted by Titus Tiger

though I am not sure if we would have been any further from a pennant than we are now...or closer.

I am not saying I don't think they have made a difference... but in the world of quantum and parallel worlds you never know what would have happened if there wasn't a trade ---and or a different trade

Well in that case, you really can't grade any trade, ever, in the history of the game. I agree with you, but that just isn't any fun. At some point you have to just evaluate it base on what it is, not what might have happened if you didn't.

but in the world of quantum and parallel worlds you never know

Yeah, but in reality .. which is where I live .. the trade helped the Tigers a great deal.

The question is of who got hosed more; New York or Arizona?

I actually like the trade to acquire Guillen better than Polanco, though the contract extention to Carlos has proven to be disappointing.

I always think about how much harder it is to play in NYC because of the Journalist, but I would say compared to a Henning anti-Granderson column, that one was pretty nice

The big difference I saw in that article relative to a typical Henning article about Granderson late last year is the author supported his position with facts and did not attempt to oversell his argument with negative subjective claims.

I might be alone in this, but for me, if a writer simply sticks to the facts and tries to be as objective as possible, articles don't come across as being negative or an attack on the subject, even if the news is bad news.

I actually like the trade to acquire Guillen better than Polanco, though the contract extention to Carlos has proven to be disappointing.

Agreed. And the fact that DD picked up Santiago and Gonzalez afterwards was icing on the cake. Pretty hilarious. And I think picking Gonzalez back up had to be his way of mocking Seattle.

The question is of who got hosed more; New York or Arizona?

Arizona has done OK because Kennedy is having a solid year. So far, the Yankees are definitely at the short end of the trade.

Everything in the trade is as I had thought it would be so far except:

- Granderson suddenly cannot hit RHP at all, whereas he was steady, not declining at all against RHP prior to this year;

- A. Jackson's defense has been stellar, rather than just good.

I'm as happy as I can be with the deal, given that Jackson and Scherzer and Coke have all pretty much lived up to or exceeded my expectations (Scherzer's early slump notwithstanding).

Everything in the trade is as I had thought it would be so far except:

- Granderson suddenly cannot hit RHP at all, whereas he was steady, not declining at all against RHP prior to this year;

- A. Jackson's defense has been stellar, rather than just good.

I'm as happy as I can be with the deal, given that Jackson and Scherzer and Coke have all pretty much lived up to or exceeded my expectations (Scherzer's early slump notwithstanding).

Lets not write Grandy off so fast..he hit 2 HR's yesterday and has had some huge streaks in other years. I do remember who was one of the biggest advocates to trade him..starting last July..that being said, he didn't forget how to hit, it just seems like it.

Arizona has done OK because Kennedy is having a solid year. So far, the Yankees are definitely at the short end of the trade.

Yes, and it has hurt them so badly that they're not even playing .650 ball. Poor babies. :wink: