DaBishop

Another "pile on Joe" thread

It's been bothering me the last couple of weeks when I think about it so I figured I'd start a new complaint thread.

Personally I think the biggest mistake Joe has made, after drafting Darko of course, is keeping Sheed over Memo in 2005. Obviously this is a hind-sight is 20/20 complaint but in the end, it's something that Joe gets a real pass on that was a huge mistake. Obviously the excuse made is the same that gets made for drafting Darko. "everyone thought it was a good idea at the time". At the end of the day though, it's up to the GM to make the right decision and Joe didn't. Sheed may have brought better defense then Memo, but Memo ended up being the better player in every other facet of the game since that fateful decision, not to mention his age. That Utah saw it and was willing to pay for it and Detroit wasn't has been a huge f-up. Obviously this year his play has not been up to par, but I venture to say this team might have had a bit more success and less uncertainty at the center position for the past 5 years had Joe made the right move and decided to keep the younger, hungrier Okur over the contract year, best behavior Sheed.

The question is "Would the Pistons have won the title in `04 with Memo instead of Sheed?" Looking back on it 5 years later, having missed on the Darko pick & the Chauncey trade, it seems like a bad move. The Sheed decision served its purpose, & if Joe would have gotten a better player instead of drafting Darko we wouldn't be talking about it today. Then again, the bear would have caught the rabbit IF he hadn't stopped to take a dump in the woods.

The question is "Would the Pistons have won the title in `04 with Memo instead of Sheed?" Looking back on it 5 years later, having missed on the Darko pick & the Chauncey trade, it seems like a bad move. The Sheed decision served its purpose, & if Joe would have gotten a better player instead of drafting Darko we wouldn't be talking about it today. Then again, the bear would have caught the rabbit IF he hadn't stopped to take a dump in the woods.

I believe Memo left the year after we won the title. Sheed was so instrumental in that title run and I am glad we didn't let him go. We returned to the finals the next year with Sheed and without Memo and should have gone back the two years later as well. Sheed wore out his welcome in Detroit, but his defense was what triggered those title runs and I am glad we chose to keep him.

I haven't been in the mood to defend Dumars but I don't blame him a bit for keeping Rasheed over Okur. At the time almost everyone counted Wallace as the final piece in the puzzle and the one who put them over the top. I don't think he could have let him go at the time.

Maybe, but it was general consensus as well that Darko was a top 3 pick...at the end of the day, just because consensus says one thing, a good GM makes good decisions. Utah supposedly overpaid for Memo, and everyone thought it was a reach but the reach ended up being the right decision. Instead we paid Sheed 13 million for diminishing returns. Look, I like Joe, and almost always give him the benefit of the doubt. That said, if we have a GM who just does what everyone would do, what's the point of having a GM, particularly when the moves he makes that aren't "what everyone would do" have not panned out even remotely well.

I believe Memo left the year after we won the title. Sheed was so instrumental in that title run and I am glad we didn't let him go. We returned to the finals the next year with Sheed and without Memo and should have gone back the two years later as well. Sheed wore out his welcome in Detroit, but his defense was what triggered those title runs and I am glad we chose to keep him.

Thats about how I feel.

Shame it happened when it did. Now something like that will never happen with the rule changes.

I keep kicking myself knowing our lineup could have been:

Chauncey

Rip

Melo

Whomever

Okur

Had we just made a few better decisions. Now what I don't know is how contracts would work and such. I'm guessing we would have given Melo any amount of Money he wanted, and CB would have gotten his along with Okur which probably means Rip is the odd man out. I am assuming we would not have had Prince had we drafted Melo.