Sign in to follow this  
hueytaxi

Oh, this looks so wrong.

Just saw the forum title and for a moment I had a memory lapse wondering what this Connecticut team was all about. Still looks wrong somehow. I trust it is all good.

No, it looks so right!

How did I not hear about this until just now?! This is wonderful! I'll have a Tigers affiliate just about a half hour away from UConn. It's time to expand the Tigers fan base in the Nutmeg State so that sbcaptain and I won't be the only ones.

No, it looks so right!

How did I not hear about this until just now?! This is wonderful! I'll have a Tigers affiliate just about a half hour away from UConn. It's time to expand the Tigers fan base in the Nutmeg State so that sbcaptain and I won't be the only ones.

I'm trying to convert one person even as we speak.:happy:

I noticed they have a facebook page already.

No, it looks so right!

I'm really excited about it.

Ugh. That 'C' is awful.

Agreed. It would have been better if they made it look something like this, instead of a deformed Detroit Tigers logo:

20070109mag.jpg

Reminds me of a cartoon harp.

It looks like the first game will be June 26th. I might try to go, depending on if I can get there.

I can just imagine the boardroom meeting that brought that horrid 'C' into this world...

"So, guys, my son knows how to use this thing called Photoshop. Here's a sample logo he made. Nifty, no?"

I guess I understand making a presence in New England with the Tigers moniker, but with all the colorful team names out there and the licensing $ you could make of merch, why would they just stick with the Tigers? They could have been the Chowders or Grape Stompers or something like that. Conn Tigers is as out of place as the Battle Creek Yankees.

I guess I understand making a presence in New England with the Tigers moniker, but with all the colorful team names out there and the licensing $ you could make of merch, why would they just stick with the Tigers? They could have been the Chowders or Grape Stompers or something like that. Conn Tigers is as out of place as the Battle Creek Yankees.

Good point-though I have to say as a Tigers fan in New England I'm looking forward to the presence of the Tigers.:happy:

I read the management will have a naming contest for the team this season. that may induce a completely new logo. Connecticut Tigers is meant to be only temporary.

I read the management will have a naming contest for the team this season. that may induce a completely new logo. Connecticut Tigers is meant to be only temporary.

Interesting. Do you know if it's for people who live in the Norwich area only? If it's written in one of the stories here, feel free to send me a cyber bonk to the head.:happy:

Interesting. Do you know if it's for people who live in the Norwich area only? If it's written in one of the stories here, feel free to send me a cyber bonk to the head.:happy:

All I've got from the O Tigs moving thread....

The team will be called the Connecticut Tigers for the 2010 season. They will be re-named prior to the 2011 season after a fan pick-a-name contest.

Thanks huey, I did zip right over that post. I'm not talented with logos, but I can try to come up with some team names.

I was looking at the team's facebook page and it's nice to see so many people from New England signing up as fans of a Tigers affiliated team.:happy:

Most Olde English C's remind me too much of the Chicago Tribune. I like the Tigers inspired one, though it looks like I'm in the minority.

While as a Detroit Tigers fan I'm a little personally disappointed that the name will change, it's probably for the best that the name and logo switch to something Connecticut related. That way Yankees and Red Sox fans won't feel reluctant to support them. I can still enjoy the Tigers affiliation and watch players move up through the system.

If the UFL contest was any indication, people will yell and scream that they want the Whalers name, but we all know that name belongs with a hockey team. I like the Colonials name for the football team. I hope we'll get another name that makes sense in Connecticut unlike the (Mohegan) Sun in the WNBA.

It was more out of place to see people from Battle Creek in the stands for the Yankee games....unless it was Thirsty Thursday. :grin:

Full docket for Tigers 1st fan forum - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

One thing the Tigers may not change is the name of the franchise.

Originally the team had announced it would hold a name-the-team contest, but officials are re-thinking that idea.

“We’ve put the brakes on things. I’m not saying it won’t still happen, but people are saying it’s great, it gives us an identity and connects us to the major league team,” Weber said of the ‘Tigers’ name. “Almost everything we do, we have to digest before we finalize.”

Glad to hear the name Tigers will stay for now...maybe they could call them the Norwich Tigers instead of the CT Tigers?

That would be fine by me. I tend to like minor league team names that have a connection to the region they play in, but I can make an exception here, especially since it means my Yankee and Red Sox loving friends will be rooting for a team called the Tigers.

Glad to hear the name Tigers will stay for now...maybe they could call them the Norwich Tigers instead of the CT Tigers?

Or maybe the New London County Tigers. That's a mouthful, but it has more a small-time feel that seems appropriate for the NY-Penn League.

It's sad, but I don't know enough about CT to come up with a name appropriate to the region. I'm afraid I don't leave the Boston metro area very often.