Deleterious

Pistons Sale

Interesting considering the cold environment that existed between the Wings and Pistons for years. I remember when it was an issue that each team wouldn't show the others playoff game scores when they played at the same time, before the era of the cell phones and internet and instant communication. Ilitch wanted to buy the TIgers when Monoghan bought them and got them after he got into financial trouble and now he'll get his other rival's team.

I suspect the NHL wouldn't like Illitch owing an NBA franchise in the same market since they both play at the same time and there might be some conflicts of interest.

I don't think Ilitch would have made this public announcement had he not already been assured it wouldn't be an issue.

The think I worry about most with Illitch is that the Pistons would be replacing one 80 year old with another, although Illitch's kids/wife have interest at least, not sure about their competence but they wouldn't rather be at the Twilight premier.

Edited by DrWho17

It would be HORRIBLE if he died or became incapacitated and all the teams suffered for it. When an owner dies or can't run the team anymore, it is usually only one local team that is affected. It would be terrible to have 3 teams affected.

That's the worry I have with Ilitch owning all three teams. Even if he has a solid transition plan in place, we don't know how dedicated his hand-picked successor would be. I trust ilitch's dedication, but beyond that, I can't say.

Interesting considering the cold environment that existed between the Wings and Pistons for years. I remember when it was an issue that each team wouldn't show the others playoff game scores when they played at the same time, before the era of the cell phones and internet and instant communication. Ilitch wanted to buy the TIgers when Monoghan bought them and got them after he got into financial trouble and now he'll get his other rival's team.

I hadn't even thought of the similarities of Ilitch buying sports franchises from a rival.

I have no problem with it, although I do worry about Illitch and his age. He has a passion for sports, and is willing to spend money, but when he isn't able to run the show, will his family be as intense and willing to spend? It would be HORRIBLE if he died or became incapacitated and all the teams suffered for it. When an owner dies or can't run the team anymore, it is usually only one local team that is affected. It would be terrible to have 3 teams affected.

I like Illitch and his desire for championships. I wouldn't mind seeing him control the Pistons.

I have no problem with Illitch as far as results go. He has shown to be a good owner.

My issues are the same as yours. Death, money problems, scandal, starts making bad decisions. When it impacts 3 teams instead of 1, it could make for some dark times.

Correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression one of Mr. Illitch's sons was pretty heavily involved with the Tigers. I think the kids understand the role these teams play in the city and if left in charge could put the proper people in charge to do the job.

Correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression one of Mr. Illitch's sons was pretty heavily involved with the Tigers. I think the kids understand the role these teams play in the city and if left in charge could put the proper people in charge to do the job.
That would be Chris Ilitch, President & CEO, Ilitch Holdings, Inc.

From Lynn Henning's article: Mike Marian Ilitchs Midas touch could revitalize Pistons

Is this good, having one owner and family overseeing three of Detroit's four sports franchises?

Philosophically, no. That's too much power to entrust to one clan when the patriarch is 81 years old.

But in this case, you can make an exception, as long as the past blueprint remains in place.

The Ilitches have been good stewards, for the most part.

They rescued the Red Wings from oblivion and turned them into a near-dynasty.

They snatched the Tigers from Tom Monaghan's eccentricities and, apart from some awful early decisions, got busy making amends during this decade and now have the most successful franchise -- from an attendance standpoint -- than any but the big, glittering markets, except for Minnesota, which got its elixir this year from a new ballpark.

Now they can possibly focus on a Pistons team that needs a new foundation, new energy, and a more refined strategy for restoring a team that once upon a time you could expect to be at, the very least, a dangerous playoff club.

Chris Ilitch already is busy offering reassurances. He needs to do just that, in clear, convincing fashion.

That would be Chris Ilitch, President & CEO, Ilitch Holdings, Inc.

Was he the one who took offense to being called the "Ilitch kid" roughly 10 years ago?

The problem isn't the kids, it would be the money. If Illitch were to die, his money/empire would most likely be divided up....perhaps in a hostile way. This could put these sports franchises in serious jeopardy. 1 or even 2 teams wouldn't be too bad, but if 3 of Detroit's 4 biggest sports teams became financially unstable for just a few years, it would REALLY hurt! (especially if that 4th team is the Lions)

Just received this from the Detroit Tigers...

Dear Season Ticket Holder –

We want to take this opportunity to share some exciting information with you that is certain to receive media attention in the coming days. This morning we have issued a media statement which indicates that our organization has entered the process to attempt to purchase the Detroit Pistons. Following is the media statement, attributable to Mr. Ilitch:

“Marian and I grew up here, we raised our family here and we built our businesses here. Detroit is our home. When I read in the paper there was the chance that this great sports town could lose one of its professional sports franchises, I just didn’t see how we could let that happen. The Pistons, just like the Red Wings, Tigers and the Lions, have a rich and storied tradition in this community and they’ve brought pride to fans and our community. You all know I love sports – all sports, from amateur sports to the various pro sports we’ve had the privilege to be involved with, and like a lot of others I’m sure, I really want to see the Pistons remain the Detroit Pistons.

“We talked about it internally and when you take our 33 years of experience in professional sports, our commitment to this community, our passion for winning and pursuing championships, and you couple that with the opportunity to have a local, engaged owner for the Pistons, we decided to take a run at it. We believe we could bring a lot to the table that could be tremendously positive for the Pistons franchise, the NBA, and the fans of this community. So, today, we formally notified the Detroit Pistons that we have interest in purchasing the team. This is a required first-step and we look forward to the opportunity to move forward in the process.”

We believe this is very exciting news for our organization and we wanted you to hear this news from us. This is the first step in what will likely be a very long process. Additionally, as part of the process laid out by the sellers, we have signed a non-disclosure agreement so we will not be able to make any additional public comments until the process is completed and we either purchase the Pistons or not.

We appreciate your support, and we will keep you apprised on our progress.

Sincerely,

The Detroit Tigers Season Ticket Department

Owning 2 pro teams seems silly enough as it is. So 3?? No thanks. It can only make the other teams weaker because resources will go to the Pistons.

Owning 2 pro teams seems silly enough as it is. So 3?? No thanks. It can only make the other teams weaker because resources will go to the Pistons.

The Pistons wont cause the Wings and Tigers to suffer. Like the Tigers and Wings, the Pistons have a strong brand recognition and arent in danger of drowning financially.

Illitch likes to win and his family likes to win, owning the Pistons will only be a good thing for our basketball future. I like this aggressive move by Illitch, instead of letting someone come in and buy our basketball team and maybe move them, he puts all that to rest by reassuring Detroit fans that he is willing to do whatever it takes to keep them here and make them a winner.

How long does a sale like this take to happen?

The Pistons wont cause the Wings and Tigers to suffer. Like the Tigers and Wings, the Pistons have a strong brand recognition and arent in danger of drowning financially.

Illitch likes to win and his family likes to win, owning the Pistons will only be a good thing for our basketball future. I like this aggressive move by Illitch, instead of letting someone come in and buy our basketball team and maybe move them, he puts all that to rest by reassuring Detroit fans that he is willing to do whatever it takes to keep them here and make them a winner.

I just looked up the sale of the Wizards. They agreed to the sale at the end of January. The new owner took over at the start of June. Although that might be faster than normal since the buyer was a minority owner.

I agree, common wisdom once asserted that Illitch has such a high payroll with the Tigers because he makes so much money with the Wings now that there's a salary cap.

The economy in Detroit is truly so bad, and is going to stay crappy for a long time, whereby finding a single buyer for the Pistons, Palace, and everythingelse could be very difficult to accomplish. Ultimately, if Karen Davidson has no choice but to sell the Pistons seperately to someone who intends to move the team, then she'll do that and find a seperate owner(s) for the entertainment part of her holdings. She has no interest in owning this team and will eventually sell it to someone.

If Mike Illitch can get it done though, then I think that's a great thing. First, his family, not just him, is really committed to the area. They're much less likely to screw up the franchise than some hypothetical "savior" owner. Second, this might mean that Tom Wilson is put in charge of the Pistons once again. The franchise could definitely use someone like him to oversee the operation. It's starting to stumble some and that can snowball if it's not headed-off.

Also they were talking about this on 97.1. Davidson hated Illitch. Seems a bit ludicrous to figure his wife would sell to Illitch.

Also they were talking about this on 97.1. Davidson hated Illitch. Seems a bit ludicrous to figure his wife would sell to Illitch.

Bill Davidson loved the Pistons with every fiber of his being. Seems a bit ludicrous his wife would sell as soon as possible, yet here we are....

The resources of the Wings and Tigers are kept separate. It would be the same if he owned the Pistons. Illitch would not financially make one franchise weaker to aid a failing franchise.

The goal of this move is fairly obvious. It has nothing to do with loyalty to the people of the Detroit area. It has everything to do with expanding his empire Downtown. Personally, I would rather see someone else own the Pistons and keep them in Auburn Hills, but if Illitch is the only one with the money, than he's going to get them.

Has Illitch shown a commitment to the Tigers and Red Wings? Yes.

In my eyes that qualifies him to own the Pistons. Even the Lions for that matter.

Has 1 person every had a monopoly on sports entertainment in one city (in cities with 3 or more majors)?

Bill Davidson loved the Pistons with every fiber of his being. Seems a bit ludicrous his wife would sell as soon as possible, yet here we are....

I heard the discussion about the Wings/Pistons hatred over the years this afternoon on 97.1 and I'm not really buying it. Even if Bill Davidson did have a major problem with Ilitch, it's been clear from everything Mrs. Davidson has said that she really, really just wants to unload the team. I don't think she cares about who it goes to.

I also feel very confident that the new arena for the Wings (and Pistons?) will be just north of I75 on the west side of Woodward. There are a bunch of empty lots there right now for parking. In the News six months ago there was an article about all these secret land purchases that are going on and it seemed like Ilitch was likely behind that. Additionally, with Ilitch funding M1 light rail, having Foxtown right there, and being able to front Woodward I think it's a sure bet. I just hope to hell he doesn't screw up with those parking lots fronting Woodward like he did with Comerica.

When he moves them out of the wonderful arena that Davidson built and into an arena in Detroit, this is one season ticket holder that will not be making the trip.

When he moves them out of the wonderful arena that Davidson built and into an arena in Detroit, this is one season ticket holder that will not be making the trip.

...and there are thousands of Detroit and downriver residents that will surely help pick up the slack.

I got the impression that the "hatred" ran the other way, from Ilitch towards Davidson. Davidson was the one who bailed on plans for both teams at Joe Lous, he was the one who built the Palace and started taking concerts and stuff away from JLA.

But the relationship did thaw a bit when both were inducted into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. I recall a story about it at the time.

Did Bill Davidson have children? Where are they in all of this? He didn't leave any of it to them? What about Guardian?