Deleterious

Pistons Sale

Who is the mystery "deal to go to Vegas" team? - ProBasketballTalk - Basketball - NBC Sports

Who is the mystery "deal to go to Vegas" team?

An NBA team moving to Vegas?

Players love the idea. The NBA itself is lukewarm on it but money talks and if a new state-of-the art arena were built and could generate enough revenue it would likely lure a team. Money would buy off all the moral qualms. Man, isn't capitalism grand?

An investment group in Las Vegas trying to get an arena built (International Development Management LLC) says it has an NBA team "under contract" to sell if they can get help financing an area from the city through tax increment.

What team? We've been asking that around Summer League in Vegas.

And more people think this is an overstatement by the investment group than it is an actual deal. Most people we spoke with were not very familiar with the group or the story (and these people follow these things if they are serious).

Nobody knows for sure, but more people here think the group got a "we agree to have a serious conversation with you if you get your arena built" rather than any kind of agreement to sell.

International Development has motive to overstate its case -- they are trying to get public financing build an arena (through tax increment, read the story here) in a political climate where that is very unlikely in Las Vegas. Having a deal with a team would give the plan a boost (and even then likely not enough of one). So saying there is a deal even if it isn't that much of a deal makes sense.

Still, what team could it be?

What we do know it is not the Sacramento Kings. Despite what one email promoting the original story in the Las Vegas Sun was saying, the Maloof brothers are not the guys. Yes, they own the Palms hotel and are Vegas people, but they are set right now. Here is what Joe Maloof told the Sacramento Bee:

"No," Maloof said. "I don't even know what that (deal) is."

The team speculated about in the original story is the Detroit Pistons. And they are for sale, owner Karen Davidson wants to sell the team as she took over when her husband Bill died. Bill was passionate about the Pistons, Karen not so much. She said she hoped to have the team sold by the end of the summer.

But she owns both the Pistons and their building, the Palace at Auburn Hills. She could break them apart and sell them separately, but their value goes down. Most bidders will want both. A Las Vegas investment group would not (the value of the building would fall once the Pistons were out). It just seems unlikely.

Sources speculated some about maybe it being New Orleans or Minnesota, but then said those were just kind of teams where the owner might sell. George Shinn is New Orleans is actively trying to sell but is supposed to have a buyer and deal (plus pulling a team out of New Orleans now could be very bad Karma). Indiana is a name that came up, but they just struck a deal with the city to stay. Buy the Pacers now and you can pay a $30 million premium to leave.

Bottom line, not a lot of the execs in Vegas were not very familiar with the story or the investment group. Which made them skeptical of the entire thing.

Tell them to call a few active posters here..they have the 411..them and noted journalist, sports insider and food taster, Scott "Gator" Anderson

Tell them to call a few active posters here..they have the 411..them and noted journalist, sports insider and food taster, Scott "Gator" Anderson

Is that another one of your "facts"? Who is your source? The janitor at the Townsend?

Is that another one of your "facts"? Who is your source? The janitor at the Townsend?

I was referring to Gator..and a certain well connected believer in the possiblities of the Vegas move..lets search the posts and see who that was..the original poster was whom?? I forgot..

My Townsend connections are quite good..if you only knew how good..

Detroit Pistons release statement saying team not moving to Las Vegas | MLive.com

Detroit Pistons release statement saying team not moving to Las Vegas

After an investment group, looking to build an arena on the Las Vegas strip, stated they were on the cusp of purchasing and relocating an NBA team to the town. Speculation suggested that team might be the Detroit Pistons.

Not so according to the team, who released a statement Thursday afternoon.

"While there is no substantive news to report regarding the sale of the Detroit Pistons, our ownership group has absolutely nothing to do with any proposal that would move the team to Las Vegas. As stated since the beginning of this process, the preference is to find an ownership group that is committed to Detroit and the surrounding area."

I don't want the Pistons to move, but if they did, I'd love for them to come to STL. Though, I don't think Dave Checketts would be allowed to hold an NHL and NBA team.

funny.. I listened to his entire show today and not once did, he say the team was moving.

Anderson said on WXYT that he's heard a rumor out of Vegas that it is the Pistons. that's all he said about it, for what it's worth.

Anna Nicole Davidson

yeah..who was it then..Arthur Anderson, Flipper Anderson..John Anderson, Louie Anderson, Hans Christian Anderson..I know Pamela Anderson..

borat.jpg

really?

Here's some more facts for you.

"hearing a rumor that X is true" <> "X is true"

"Person A claims to have heard a rumor that X is true" <> "X is true."

"Person A links to a published story that claims X is possible" <> "X is true."

<> means "does not equal". In other words they are not the same thing. Like 1=1 and 1<>2.

With the Golden State Warriors being sold to a new owner, which is NOT Larry Ellison (ORACLE) who actually had a higher bid, might he be inclined to buy the Pistons (sans Palace) and move them to Las Vegas? Or, perhaps, to San Francisco...with the Warriors moving to Las Vegas. The rumor was that Ellison wanted to move the Warriors to San Francisco if he bought the team.

With the Golden State Warriors being sold to a new owner, which is NOT Larry Ellison (ORACLE) who actually had a higher bid, might he be inclined to buy the Pistons (sans Palace) and move them to Las Vegas? Or, perhaps, to San Francisco...with the Warriors moving to Las Vegas. The rumor was that Ellison wanted to move the Warriors to San Francisco if he bought the team.

Tell me the last time multiple teams traded cities and relocated..the league frowns on that kind of stuff..NBA2K they're good with it.

The Detroit Pistons: How Timing And Location Impact Franchise Value « SportsMoney - Forbes.com

The Detroit Pistons: How Timing And Location Impact Franchise Value

According to Forbes' 2009 NBA Valuations, the Pistons rank 4th in value at $479 million behind only the Lakers, Knicks, and Bulls. And this lofty ranking despite the woes of the Detroit and Michigan economy owes itself largely to the afore-mentioned data...loyal fan base, strong business practices yielding high annual profits, and brand identity due to past championships.

But unlike the Golden State Warriors - a team that just sold at a price ($450 million) that was over $125 million above its projected Forbes market value - the Pistons may sell for $100-125 million below their currently projected market value.

From The Detroit News: Ilitches show interest in buying Pistons to keep team in Detroit | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Ilitches show interest in buying Pistons to keep team in Detroit

Gregg Krupa / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Wading into a difficult market for purchasing a professional sports franchise, the Ilitch family announced today that they are interested in buying the Detroit Pistons.

"Marian and I grew up here, we raised our family here, and we built our businesses here," said Mike Ilitch, who presides over a financial empire that includes Little Ceasars Pizza, the Detroit Red Wings, the Detroit Tigers and entertainment holdings all headquartered in downtown Detroit. "Detroit is our home. When I read in the paper there was the chance that this great sports town could lose one of its professional sports franchises, I just didn't see how we could let that happen.

"The Pistons, just like the Red Wings, Tigers and the Lions, have a rich and storied tradition in this community, and they've brought pride to fans and our community," said Ilitch, who as a young man aspired to play Major League Baseball. "You all know I love sports -- all sports, from amateur sports to the various pro sports we've had the privilege to be involved with, and like a lot of others I'm sure, I really want to see the Pistons remain the Detroit Pistons."

Since the death of Pistons' owner Bill Davidson, his wife, Karen, has made clear she intends to sell the team. But the value of the team, believed to approximate $500 million, far exceeds what the market for a franchise in recession-wracked Southeastern Michigan is likely to bear

Experts on the purchase of franchises and NBA franchises, specifically, told The Detroit News last month that for the team to be purchased at anything but a low price, foreign investment might be necessary.

But some expressed surprise that the Ilitches had now weighed in, especially given the need for a new hockey arena in Detroit.

"We talked about it internally, and when you take our 33 years of experience in professional sports, our commitment to this community, our passion for winning and pursuing championships, and you couple that with the opportunity to have a local, engaged owner for the Pistons, we decided to take a run at it," Ilitch said. "We believe we could bring a lot to the table that could be tremendously positive for the Pistons franchise, the NBA and the fans of this community. So, today, we formally notified the Detroit Pistons that we have interest in purchasing the team. This is a required first-step, and we look forward to the opportunity to move forward in the process."

From the Detroit Free Press: Ilitch wants to own Pistons, move team to Detroit

Ilitch wants to own Pistons, move team to Detroit

By JOHN GALLAGHER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Sports and pizza boss Michael Ilitch said today he wants to buy the Detroit Pistons and move the team to a new arena in downtown Detroit.

The Ilitch family already owns the Detroit Tigers and the Detroit Red Wings.

In a statement issued this morning, Ilitch said he and his family are committed to building a new arena in downtown even if their bid for the Pistons fails. The new arena would serve as a home for the Red Wings, which continue to play their games at the aging Joe Louis Arena.

“No one should get too excited just yet, because this is the first step in what could be a long process,” the Ilitch statement read. “There is a lot of due diligence to take place, and who even knows if the Pistons would accept any potential future offer.

“But I can tell you that we are serious about this, we’ll be aggressive in the process, and we’re going to take a real hard run at it because it makes sense for our organization.”

The statement added, “Whether or not we end up buying this Piston team, we remain focused on a new arena in the city of Detroit, and that will serve as a great catalyst for future economic development in the city.”

The statement said the Ilitches were formally notifying the National Basketball Association today of their interest in buying the Pistons, a required first step. Negotiations are expected to take several weeks.

I'm not sure I like the idea of one person owning 3 of the 4 teams in the city.
Maybe William Clay Ford will step up to the plate then...

I suspect the NHL wouldn't like Ilitch owing an NBA franchise in the same market since they both play at the same time and there might be some conflicts of interest.

I suspect the NHL wouldn't like Ilitch owing an NBA franchise in the same market since they both play at the same time and there might be some conflicts of interest.

I don't see that being a problem. Ted Leonsis owns the Capitals and just bought the Wizards.

I have no problem with it, although I do worry about Illitch and his age. He has a passion for sports, and is willing to spend money, but when he isn't able to run the show, will his family be as intense and willing to spend? It would be HORRIBLE if he died or became incapacitated and all the teams suffered for it. When an owner dies or can't run the team anymore, it is usually only one local team that is affected. It would be terrible to have 3 teams affected.

I like Illitch and his desire for championships. I wouldn't mind seeing him control the Pistons.