Deleterious

Pistons Sale

I think it's a real possibility. The NBA has made no secret about wanting an NBA franchise in Las Vegas. They would much rather want an established franchise with a successful past rather than an expansion franchise. Also, there are a lot of Michigan transplants in the southwest so the Pistons already would have a small fan base down there.

Actually, the NBA has done about everything it can not to put a team in Vegas.

Actually, the NBA has done about everything it can not to put a team in Vegas.

I would think all the chatter about an NBA franchise in Vegas, hosting the All-Star game, and now all but gaurantee Vegas a franchise, is enough to say the NBA wants to expand in Vegas. I think the problem is getting the right franchise. If you're playing on the strip, whose going to go to a game involving an expansion franchise? I well established team like the Pistons is more attractive.

The Palace itself is a nice building but the location and surrounding area sucks. I live a few miles from the Detroit border and it takes me 90 minutes to get there. A 7 o clock Piston game means I have to leave around 5:30, drive through traffic, hope there's no accidents or anything, then deal with the worst parking lot in a developed country, hope I end up exiting at the right location or else I"m driving around farm land hoping Malachi doesn't jump out at me.... get home around 11:30.... all for a game that lasted 2 hours.

Malachi is a Jewish name, are you sure you are not getting off at West Bloomfield? Maybe Bloomfield Hills by accident? The Parking lot in Auburn Hills is about 8,000 times better than parking in a downtown Detroit back alley lot for 10 bucks, having 12 different men offer you and your wife an umbrella, get asked for change 12 times on the way into Woodward. Auburn Hills is a breath of fresh air compared to downtown. Plus, they do pretty well attendance wise I hear.

Malachi is a Jewish name, are you sure you are not getting off at West Bloomfield? Maybe Bloomfield Hills by accident? The Parking lot in Auburn Hills is about 8,000 times better than parking in a downtown Detroit back alley lot for 10 bucks, having 12 different men offer you and your wife an umbrella, get asked for change 12 times on the way into Woodward. Auburn Hills is a breath of fresh air compared to downtown. Plus, they do pretty well attendance wise I hear.

Malachi is from the movie Children of the Corn.

Totally agree about the parking and people around the area over downtown Detroit.

I would think all the chatter about an NBA franchise in Vegas, hosting the All-Star game, and now all but gaurantee Vegas a franchise, is enough to say the NBA wants to expand in Vegas. I think the problem is getting the right franchise. If you're playing on the strip, whose going to go to a game involving an expansion franchise? I well established team like the Pistons is more attractive.

What guarantee? Some guy who isn't even a member of the NBA has a deal to move a franchise there. Guess who still needs to approve it? The NBA.

The article I linked even says people in NBA circles are/were hesitant about a team in Vegas.

What guarantee? Some guy who isn't even a member of the NBA has a deal to move a franchise there. Guess who still needs to approve it? The NBA.

The article I linked even says people in NBA circles are/were hesitant about a team in Vegas.

The point is, I wouldn't be so hesitant to say the Pistons wouldn't move out there.

The point is, I wouldn't be so hesitant to say the Pistons wouldn't move out there.

OK, but thats just your opinion right? Or do you have some other info I am not aware of that shows the NBA wants a team in Vegas?

It's much more likely to be the Kings (whose owners have a connection to Vegas) or teh Hornets, who are skint.

OK, but thats just your opinion right? Or do you have some other info I am not aware of that shows the NBA wants a team in Vegas?

It is my opinion. Only sportz4life knows the right answer.

Stop it with the Pistons might move talk, Forbes valued the franchise as the fourth highest in the NBA 3 years ago it's in a top ten market with tons of large corporations (even with the economy) and the team owns the Palace. If you are looking to buy a franchise or entice one to move elsewhere you are going to try to find an inexpensive one, built into that purchase price is the Detroit market and it doesn't make any sense to sell the Palace separately. Now New Orleans which is a tiny poor market that doesn't own it's own arena and an owner who has no ties to the city and is struggling financially would be my bet. It's ridiculous the team isn't going anywhere.

I sure wish we had somebody on the board who knew everything about everybody and was never wrong and could give the expert insight on what's going on behind the scenes at the very highest levels of Detroit sports.

You moved now we are limited to LA.

Yeah..probably not..sorry.

I'm straining to understand the logic behind the % of ticketholders in Oakland county driving the geography of a new arena. Illitch holdings has a ton of interests active in downtown Detroit. If it's already shown that people don't mind traveling from Oakland County into Detroit to watch hockey...why would the Wings to move the team away from the rest of Illitch's current entertainment holdings? It would gut the area of a HUGE draw...

They wouldn't..but they are not able to currently secure financing to build a new arena. Plus they are eager to acquire the entertainment venues of PS&E so they contol 100% of the concert activity in Metro Detroit, lastly the suite revue available at JLA is the lowest and least lucrative of any NBA/NHL team. A temporary move to the Palace. solves every one of those problems. In 5-10 years the increased revenues demonstrated by suite sales at the Palace, in additon to an improved financing climate will allow Ilitch holding to move back downtown with not only one team but two.

Edited by sportz4life

Local sports talk radio here in Vegas is speculating the teams are one of Detroit Pistons, New Orleans Hornets, Sacramento Kings, Memphis Grizzlies and the Indiana Pacers.

Knowing the Maloofs business interests in Vegas, they would have moved long ago if it was viable.

Shinn would sell to anyone, Memphis would move in a heartbeat.

It is my opinion. Only sportz4life knows the right answer.

I was still waiting for some article or source to corroborate the premise...maybe a link.

At Tiger games I park in a lighted lot for $5, a 7 minute walk from the stadium, and I pass numerous bars and restuarants on the way if I want to have a drink before or after the game. I'm within a mile and a half of several major freeways going in all different directions. What is it at the Palace? $15 now? Do you have any other parking options?

I was still waiting for some article or source to corroborate the premise...maybe a link.

so others have to provide a source or article but you don't? Can't you see the blatant double standard you have and why people have issues with you? You talk down to everybody else on here when they don't agree with you while you hide behind your alleged inside info from a buddy of a buddy who's got a nephew who once banged Karen Davidson's sister.

so others have to provide a source or article but you don't? Can't you see the blatant double standard you have and why people have issues with you? You talk down to everybody else on here when they don't agree with you while you hide behind your alleged inside info from a buddy of a buddy who's got a nephew who once banged Karen Davidson's sister.

But I did..go back and look..amazing how often you fail to do that..between the two of us, who typically provides data and evidence to back up their opinions.

The only thing you've "provided" is the unsourced claim that 60% of Wings season ticket holders live in Oakland County and therefore they'll move to Oakland County. He's questioning that logic, not the figure, but the logic since they've already got the 60% then obviously it didn't matter where they play. He's offering an opinion. Opinions do not require sources or verification.

The funny thing is nobody has really dismissed the possibility that the Wings end up at the Palace. But anytime offers up an opinion that suggests why they wouldn't you take it personally and essentially call them morons. That's well documented.

this year's tigers team demonstrates that the people will still support a team

But Detroit is more of a baseball/football town.

+1

People like sportz are why I took a temporary leave of absence from MotownSports.

Detroit sure as hell wasn't a baseball town 10-15 years ago.

They wouldn't..but they are not able to currently secure financing to build a new arena. Plus they are eager to acquire the entertainment venues of PS&E so they contol 100% of the concert activity in Metro Detroit, lastly the suite revue available at JLA is the lowest and least lucrative of any NBA/NHL team. A temporary move to the Palace. solves every one of those problems. In 5-10 years the increased revenues demonstrated by suite sales at the Palace, in additon to an improved financing climate will allow Ilitch holding to move back downtown with not only one team but two.

This is a very real possibility even if Illitch doesn't purchase PS&E, they said as much last season. I think it's almost a certainty, I think Illitch wants to announce a temporary move with a promise of a new arena. Illitch being involved with the Pistons and the leverage it creates both with concerts and sports locally is too much of finacially incentive not to.

This is a very real possibility even if Illitch doesn't purchase PS&E, they said as much last season. I think it's almost a certainty, I think Illitch wants to announce a temporary move with a promise of a new arena. Illitch being involved with the Pistons and the leverage it creates both with concerts and sports locally is too much of finacially incentive not to.

well said..

Unfortunately I've never seen a hockey game at the Palace so I cannot comment with a proper frame of reference.

Do you speak from experience from the Detroit Viper days?

I saw a couple Viper games and I saw Michigan face off against Notre Dame in what was the first game at the Palace.

It wasn't great. But part of it had to do with the perception in my mind that this was a place I see basketball and not hockey. Plus the Viper games had the place, at best, half full. That made it hard to get excited about anything going on in the games.

Detroit has supported the Pistons pretty well too. they always do very well in attendance regardless of how well the team is doing.

I agree with you that Detroit is a football/baseball town first, but I think it's also a great sports town, period. They'll support whomever is around.

SE/central Michigan might be the only place where you get 110,000 for a game, 80,000 for a game, 56,000 for a game, and 35,000 for a game all on the same weekend.