JonBenke

2010 Michigan Football

Greg Banks and Michigan football team's revamped defensive line try to replace Brandon Graham - AnnArbor.com

Greg Banks and Michigan football team's revamped defensive line try to replace Brandon Graham

Brandon Graham had more sacks (10 ½) and tackles for loss (a nation-leading 26) than the rest of Michigan’s defensive line combined last year.

So how does the Michigan football team replace its best player for what looks like a make-or-break season?

By committee.

“We’re all looking for a rotation because great defensive teams have great rotations,” defensive lineman Greg Banks said last week. “You can’t replace BG. We take characteristics from him, we take things that we seen from him like his emotion, his passion for the game, the way he played and how hard he played it, and try to incorporate them into our own way of being.”

Banks is one of a half dozen or so Wolverines who’ll play an expanded and slightly different role on Michigan’s defensive front this fall.

He said he expects Ryan Van Bergen to take over Graham’s pass-rushing defensive end spot - “I think that’s the plan,” he said - while he plays both end and tackle.

Nose tackle Mike Martin could see time outside, especially if sophomore Will Campbell emerges as a force in the middle, and senior Renaldo Sagesse and bulked-up redshirt freshman Anthony LaLota also should be in the mix.

“See, that’s a guy that nobody’s seen,” Banks said of LaLota. “He’s gotten his weight up, he’s gotten a lot stronger, he’s learning more and more about the defensive schemes, offensive schemes and plans and stuff of that nature. He’s coming up.”

After serving as a dependable if under-the-radar backup last year, Banks is, too.

He said he’s up to 278 pounds - he played in “the low 260s” most of last year - and feeling needed like he hasn’t since high school.

“In high school they really counted on me on defense,” Banks said. “We’re all trying to replace Brandon Graham, even the guys like (LaMarr) Woodley and all them, we’re trying to get the D-line back like that. Me, personally, I’m trying to step up my level of game like I did in high school. But this isn’t high school. This is college. I’m trying to take it to a whole 'nother level.”

Banks, who’s still looking for his first career sack, said he turned to Graham, his former roommate, for advice on how to prepare for his senior season.

“He’s like, ‘You have it physically, you just have to get it mentally,’” Banks said. “He’s like, ‘When you believe that nobody can stop you, then you’re going to go out there and do it.’ So I’ve been working on the mental aspect of my game.”

So have his teammates, who Banks said share his vision of an improved defense next season despite the loss of Graham.

“Everybody’s excited,” Banks said. “We’re doing some new things on defense, new people, new places, but me personally, I’m just excited to help my team out.

“I finally got a chance to not only show my coaches but my teammates what I can do, that goes along with showing the nation. A lot of people are sleeping on us, which is good.”

Things of note; Banks on Anthony LaLota - “See, that’s a guy that nobody’s seen,” Banks said of LaLota. “He’s gotten his weight up, he’s gotten a lot stronger, he’s learning more and more about the defensive schemes, offensive schemes and plans and stuff of that nature. He’s coming up.” <-- that, that could be huge!

I do like the sounds of the defense Michigan is trying to run, a lot more like Virginia Tech than the WVU 3-3-5

Of course, whether they have the coaching and playing talent to get it done is the big question.

I do like the sounds of the defense Michigan is trying to run, a lot more like Virginia Tech than the WVU 3-3-5

Of course, whether they have the coaching and playing talent to get it done is the big question.

Power running teams are going to run all over Michigan.

It's way too early to say this. The added size to the line will help, as will the moves of RVB and Mike Martin. I'll wait and see how they look in spring.

It will be a nice change from watching spread running teams run all over them.

What exactly makes a 4-4 defense bad against a power running game?

I'm much more worried about the passing defense.

It's way too early to say this. The added size to the line will help, as will the moves of RVB and Mike Martin. I'll wait and see how they look in spring.

I don't like the 3-3-5 against a power running team. Against a spread offense? Sure. You need the added speed. Against someone who is going to use huge guards and tackles and a fullback on those linebackers f/k/a safeties? I think it's a recipe for letting Wisconsin beat the **** out of you every year.

Hopefully they would have the foresight to keep a couple thumping MLBs on the roster for those times when Wiscy and MSU come to town. Then switch to a 4-4 front on those occasions.

After all that, it's really too early to tell. RRod is going to have to win a lot of 35-31 games in the next couple years to keep his job, IMO.

What exactly makes a 4-4 defense bad against a power running game?

I'm much more worried about the passing defense.

Exactly. They are adding some serious mass to the DL, I think they'll be more than fine against the run. The pass, that's another story.

Buddha; I think you answered your own question. And our defense will improve a great deal goin' from 2010 to 2011, trust me.

RRod is going to have to win a lot of 35-31 games in the next couple years to keep his job, IMO.

I disagree with "the next couple of years", though I'll agree with 2010. But I also expect them to have one of the better offenses in the Big Ten this year.

Putting Campbell in at NT, moving Martin from NT to DT and RVB from DT to DE should really increase the size of the line and hopefully help against the power running teams. It's basically Campbell replacing Graham, so that's 50+ pounds.

Of course it still comes down to the ILBs, especially with Stevie Brown's position now being manned by inexperience.

Putting Campbell in at NT, moving Martin from NT to DT and RVB from DT to DE should really increase the size of the line and hopefully help against the power running teams. It's basically Campbell replacing Graham, so that's 50+ pounds.

Of course it still comes down to the ILBs, especially with Stevie Brown's position now being manned by inexperience.

It comes down to guys making plays..and the trade of Graham for Campbell shuld concern every UM supporter. Brandon Graham had more work ethic and desire in his pinkie than Wil Campbell does in his being..

It comes down to guys making plays..and the trade of Graham for Campbell shuld concern every UM supporter. Brandon Graham had more work ethic and desire in his pinkie than Wil Campbell does in his being..

I'm not going to lie and say the D-line doesn't concern me. It's relatively 'veteran' but I'm not convinced that a lot of the good plays people not named Graham made last year weren't because of the focus on Graham. Martin could make some plays I guess but I don't see it being enough. For 2010, I'm hoping all 3 D units can just be average, and hope that works out better than 1 really good unit and 2 awful units.

I don't know if or why you would say Campbell doesn't have desire or work ethic, at least at M. It seems random that you would have insiderz info, which is the only reason I can think of that you would say that.

I'm not going to lie and say the D-line doesn't concern me. It's relatively 'veteran' but I'm not convinced that a lot of the good plays people not named Graham made last year weren't because of the focus on Graham. Martin could make some plays I guess but I don't see it being enough. For 2010, I'm hoping all 3 D units can just be average, and hope that works out better than 1 really good unit and 2 awful units.

I don't know if or why you would say Campbell doesn't have desire or work ethic, at least at M. It seems random that you would have insiderz info, which is the only reason I can think of that you would say that.

It's not uncommon that a D-Lineman who can dominate because of size in HS, struggle in the trasition to D-1 football. I do know he has lost 40 pounds and has committed himself to getting much better conditioned. Whether he imporves on the field, I have no idea..Martin is a beast..

Edited by sportz4life

Buddha I should have been more clear, I'm happy because THEY AREN'T playing a 3-3-5. Based on the players being recruited and comments in the media it looks far more like Michigan is playing a Virginia Tech style defense. Which would be something of a 4-2-5 where two of the defensive backs are safety/linebacker hybrid types

Closer to a 4-4 than a 3-3-5

William Campbell has shown a great work ethic at Michigan in his brief stint here. He came lacking fundamentals but by all accounts he's worked his tail off getting his body ready and fundamentals in order to compete at this level!

Spring practice starts tomorrow. Spring game is April 17th at 1 PM. I believe I read the BTN will broadcast it, but not sure that was ever verified or not.

Spring brings questions for Michigan football | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Spring brings questions for Michigan football

Michigan opens spring football practice today, and there is uncertainty at a number of spots. The hot topics:

Tailback: This is a critical piece with the loss of Brandon Minor and Carlos Brown to expired eligibility and Vincent Smith for the spring as he recovers from ACL surgery. The only two returning tailbacks who carried the ball last year other than Smith are Michael Shaw (42 carries for 185 yards and two touchdowns) and Michael Cox (13 carries for 113 yards).

Defensive back: The loss of cornerback Donovan Warren to the NFL from a secondary that struggled last year creates a massive gap. JT Floyd began last season as the third cornerback and was elevated when Boubacar Cissoko was kicked off the team. But he struggled, and Troy Woolfolk was moved to corner from safety. Where Woolfolk will play now? And what will be the roles of touted redshirt freshman Justin Turner and walk-on safety Jordan Kovacs? Redshirt freshman Vlad Emilien is a candidate to work in at safety.

Defensive end: Brandon Graham made so many plays the last few years that losing him would affect any defense. He covered up mistakes. Whoever takes his spot will be interesting, whether it's Ryan Van Bergen, who has played end in the past but was a tackle for U-M last year, or a player who hasn't seen much time as a starter.

Devin Gardner: While there's competition at quarterback with starter Tate Forcier and backup Denard Robinson returning, Gardner, a true freshman who enrolled early, has some physical attributes that make him intriguing, particularly his 6-foot-4 height. Forcier started every game last year and Robinson was used in spot situations, but coach Rich Rodriguez has said the competition is ongoing at every position.

Special teams: The punting and kicking jobs are open. Zoltan Mesko holds many U-M punting marks and was a steady force throughout his career. Last year's placekicker, Jason Olesnavage, hadn't had a meaningful kick in his career. The likely heir would be redshirt freshman Brendan Gibbons. Both spots may be interesting and dependent on the weather and how much they can work outside this spring.

Tate Forcier, Denard Robinson will get most QB work in spring | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Tate Forcier, Denard Robinson will get most QB work in spring

Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News

Ann Arbor -- Not surprisingly, Michigan quarterbacks Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson will take the majority of snaps with the first- and second-team offenses during spring practice.

Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez said Tuesday before the Wolverines' first spring practice he has not ruled out incoming freshman Devin Gardner being a serious factor in the competition for starting quarterback, but Forcier and Robinson have the experience edge.

Forcier and Robinson will be sophomores this fall.

"Tate and Denard will take probably the majority of reps with the first group and second group simply because Devin has got to learn," Rodriguez said, referring to Gardner, who enrolled early at Michigan. "This will be the first practice for him today and I'm sure his head will be spinning the first couple of weeks. He's a very competitive guy, very intelligent."

Robinson, Forcier's backup in 2009, will spend most of his time practicing at quarterback, but Rodriguez said there is more in store for the speedy Robinson.

"We'll do some different things with Denard," Rodriguez said, suggesting Robinson might play some at receiver. "He's too explosive when he's not playing quarterback to have him standing beside me.

"He's going to learn quarterback (this spring); that's where he's going to be the majority of time. If you learn quarterback in our offense, you really know every position on offense, so we should be able to move him around and play other positions, but he's going to be primarily at quarterback."

Center David Molk and running back Vincent Smith are rehabilitating their knees after ACL surgery. Both will miss the spring, but Rodriguez said they will do "limited things."

Receiver Junior Hemingway and linebacker Brandon Herron had minor knee procedures, according to Rodriguez, who added that Hemingway potentially could return toward the end of spring practice.

Defensive tackle Mike Martin and safety Zac Johnson both underwent shoulder surgery, and their rehabs are going well. They will not participate in any contact drills during the spring.

The FREEP should just stop writing about Michigan.

I could write so many things, but... As far as the RBs go - Fitzgerald Toussaint might be the best RB on the team, but they don't even mention him.

The FREEP should just stop writing about Michigan.

I could write so many things, but... As far as the RBs go - Fitzgerald Toussaint might be the best RB on the team, but they don't even mention him.

Every newspaper churns out these crappy little preview articles, I'm sure they have one for the Tigers right now that's basically identical.

In some actual news that I'm hoisting from Mgoblog

Cameron Gordon and Teric Jones were both moved to safety

Nick Sheridan is going into coaching and no longer on the team ( a cruel blow )

Ryan Van Bergen looks to be taking Brandon Graham's spot on the line, as most had expected

Edited by pyrotigers

UM's OL Weights for 2010, well, so far this spring:

LT- Omameh 300-305lbs.

LG- Q Washington 300-310lbs.

C- Molk- 290 range

RG- Schilling 305-310lbs

RT- Dorrestein 335lbs.

UM's OL Weights for 2010, well, so far this spring:

Significant weight changes:

quarterback

Tate Forcier : 188 - 194, +6

receivers

Je'Ron Stokes : 181 - 187, +6

Jeremy Gallon : 165 - 171, +6

Roy Roundtree : 170 - 169, -1

Junior Hemingway : 220 - 227, +7

Darryl Stonum : 196 - 193, -3

tight ends

Martell Webb : 245 - 257, +12

Brandon Moore : 243 - 260, +17

offensive line

David Molk : 275 - 270, -5

Ricky Barnum : 275 - 282, +7

Elliot Mealer : 299 - 310, +11

Rocko Khoury : 283 - 291, +8

Patrick Omameh : 276 - 293, +17

Mark Huyge : 288 - 305, +17

Michael Schofield : 268 - 281, +13

Taylor Lewan : 268 - 283, +15

Quinton Washington : 325 - 307, -18

defensive line

Will Heininger : 261 - 271, +10

Ryan Van Bergen : 271 - 280, +9

Will Campbell : 318 - 324, +6

Craig Roh : 238 - 249, +11

Anthony Lalota : 256 - 263, +7

Greg Banks : 266 - 274, +8

Renaldo Sagesse : 279 - 285, +6

Adam Patterson : 263 - 272, +9

linebackers

Kenny Demens : 236 - 244 +8

JB Fitzgerald : 230 - 239 +9

Obi Ezeh : 243 - 240 -3

Kevin Leach : 206 - 200 -6

Isaiah Bell : 220 - 237 +17

Mike Jones : 203 - 207 +4

secondary

Jordan Kovacs : 194 - 200, +6

Justin Turner : 187 - 197, +10

NOTE: those not named weighed the same. Mike Martin hasn't had much time to lift, but expects to still put on some weight before fall practice.

Isaiah Bell .. wow, and they're saying he's kept his speed!

They are turning the spring game into a fundraiser for Mott Childrens Hospital. Games is still free, but you can donate money and receive gifts. Pretty good idea.

Here are the gifts according to Mgoblog. Also, the Beam family from Brighton will be matching every donation made that day.

* $5 Donation - "All in for Michigan Towel"

* $20 Donation - "All in for Michigan, All in for Mott" T-Shirt

* $250 Donation - 4 Passes to a pre-season scrimmage(!)

* $500 Donation - 2 pre-game sideline passes to a 2010 football game (BGSU, UMass, Iowa, or Illinois).

I watched one of my buddies text Barwis about Campbell and he said Wil was down to 305 but that was 3 weeks ago..he must have gone back on the 2 whopper a day supplement.. I 'm rooting for Wil Heininger. great kid, was a walk on..excellent athlete, played baseball with my son..his dad is a retired UM prof..he runs like a deer and he may be the long snapper this year.

Sportz; those numbers are a few weeks old.

D; that's an awesome way to have a funraiser .. wish I could be up there!!