JonBenke

2010 Michigan Football

I agree, he's a good tackler, he just doesn't get to the player fast enough. I am not expecting much from Ezeh though, he sucks beyond saving.

Not that Fitzgerald and Mouton will be all that great, I think it'll be better than Ezeh.

I think our line will be good, the secondary will be young, though having more talent, but it's our linebackers that need to at least become -- not horrific.

I agree that Ezeh would be better served on the line than as a LB. I'm most concerned about the secondary. Hoping the freshman can help.

I agree, he's a good tackler, he just doesn't get to the player fast enough. I am not expecting much from Ezeh though, he sucks beyond saving.

Not that Fitzgerald and Mouton will be all that great, I think it'll be better than Ezeh.

I think our line will be good, the secondary will be young, though having more talent, but it's our linebackers that need to at least become -- not horrific.

Ezeh has trouble making a decision, which usually results in him being blocked. He's also terrible in coverage. Just go back to that Wisconsin game, they picked on him all day.

Mouton and Fitzgerald should be faster than Ezeh, but who knows about their decision making abilities. Mouton was bad last year and Fitz didn't show a hell of a lot when he was in the game.

I think the line could be ok, but won't be as good as it was last year because it won't have the best DE Michigan's had since Mark Messner on the team anymore. Hopefully Martin can pick up some of the slack.

The secondary is scary. I know everyone hopes that Turner becomes the next Woodson, but he couldn't beat out the guys who were there last year. That's not encouraging, IMO. I fear for Michigan's defense this year. Hopefully they've added enough athletes to make it work better. And another year under the same system should help.

I think the line could be ok, but won't be as good as it was last year because it won't have the best DE Michigan's had since Mark Messner on the team anymore. Hopefully Martin can pick up some of the slack.

Lamarr Woodley?

But you know me, Benke. I'm a pessimist...

I don't think that was too pessimistic.

You stated that hopefully Martin can pick up some of the slack, over the loss of Brandon Graham, to which we all know is huge -- NOTE: you don't replace Brandon Graham, I know this -- but I am looking at more than just Martin. Hopefully a slew of players can at least make the overall line better; Martin, RVB, Roh, Campbell, Sagesse, and even possibly true freshmen Jibreel Black, to whom most say will get a chacne to play right away. He has the size Michigan needs. I am optimistic about the line, but you know how I am. Spring practice should be an intersting adjustment for this group, that's for sure. Changes will be made, so we'll see...

The secondary is going to be scary, but again, I don't think it's JT Turner, as the next Charles Woodson, or bust. Demar Dorsey, Cullen Christian, and Courtney Avery, along with Marvin Robinson, will all have a chance to come in and help the secondary, so while we lose Warren, I like having everyone back, along with those five young guys. I don't think we're anywhere near the "NO FLY ZONE" that Dorsey envisions, though I am happier with more depth and better athletes.

The LBs, well, we already went over them... I know Fitz looked loss at times, and Mouton seemed to have gotten worse, though hopefully Greg Robinson can do something with this group to where they don't give up that many big plays. The secondary will give up big plays, but their such an athletic group, they'll also make a few big plays too. I can't see that with the LBs, so I am left hoping for a miracle. And that's me bein' optimistic. LBs is the main focus during spring practice.

Our offense should be a nice test though, so that'll help.

Edited by JonBenke

Lamarr Woodley?

I like Messner better (could just be selective memory). I think Graham was better than Woodley.

I think Graham was better than Woodley.

I agree with this, and that's nothing against Woodley. Graham is near Woodson for the most fun I ever had watching a defensive player.

I hope the Patriots take him in the first round.

Graham is fresher in your minds but Woodley was much more accomplished.

Woodley was 3-time all-conference player, Big Ten Player of the Year, Lombardi award winner, Hendricks award winner, and Rose Bowl MVP.

Brandon Graham was 2-time all conference and the Senior Bowl MVP.

Woodley was 3-time all-conference player, Big Ten Player of the Year, Lombardi award winner, Hendricks award winner, and Rose Bowl MVP.

What would happen if you'd trade those two players? What if Graham played on those Michigan teams, and Woodley the recent teams?

Woodley was honoroed more because he was the most recognizable player on a great defense.

Woodley also played on a much better team. Graham dominated with literally nothing else around him.

It's not that it's more fresh in my mind (believe me, I try to forget the last two years every day), it's that I think Graham was better. Woodley never dominated game after game like Graham did. Not even close.

1. Messner

2. Graham

3. Woodley

That's how I'd rank them. Buddha summed up my feelings as to why I'd rank them that way in his posts.

I think Graham is a little more athletic than Woodley, but Graham had trouble keeping his assignment at times at Michigan and that led to some big plays by the other team. I do not recall Woodley having that issue. Otherwise, they are pretty similar draft prospects (both undersized defensive ends who are freakish athletes).

Curtis Greer was better than all three of them.

I tend to think Michigan's defense can improve (probably slightly) over last year, because I do think the downgrade from Graham and Warren to whoever, will actually be less than the upgrade of Mouton, Ezeh, and everyone in the secondary but Warren to anyone else on earth.

If it's not Rodriguez will be getting fired so I guess it won't matter

I tend to think Michigan's defense can improve (probably slightly) over last year, because I do think the downgrade from Graham and Warren to whoever, will actually be less than the upgrade of Mouton, Ezeh, and everyone in the secondary but Warren to anyone else on earth.

If it's not Rodriguez will be getting fired so I guess it won't matter

I never understand this reasoning..the dropoff from your best defensive players will be less because your worst upperclassmen will pick up the slack..huh??

Look, either you're good..or you're not..time in this situation rarely improves your play..your talent is your talent..if it was year one of Barwis..maybe some improvement..it's year 3..Mouton and Ezeh are not good..you are better off playing frosh/soph LB and hoping they improve..Roh he will improve..but Mouton and Ezeh..thats ship has sailed..

I never understand this reasoning..the dropoff from your best defensive players will be less because your worst upperclassmen will pick up the slack..huh??

Look, either you're good..or you're not..time in this situation rarely improves your play..your talent is your talent..if it was year one of Barwis..maybe some improvement..it's year 3..Mouton and Ezeh are not good..you are better off playing frosh/soph LB and hoping they improve..Roh he will improve..but Mouton and Ezeh..thats ship has sailed..

Generally you are no doubt correct, but Ezeh and Mouton have plenty of physical talent to play their positions effectively. Of course the fact that it hasn't happened yet should make you skeptical, but I think Michigan fans will look at what Robinson did with Stevie Brown from Jr to Sr year (from terrible to above average) and hope he can do the same with Mouton and Ezeh.

Plus, neither have really had as much playing time at their positions as you would think, between position switching, burning a red-shirt, and injuries, nor have they had consistent coaching the past 3 years. Right now, those are all just excuses, but sometimes excuses can be valid, correctable reasons as well.

So we'll see. I'm skeptical, but other than Fitzgerald I don't see any other obvious options.

I generally agree with the notion that counting on both Ezeh and Mouton to play like college linebackers at this point is dicey. Both were aweful last season. That said I can't see them playing any worse and hopefully a couple of the young guys in the fold step up. This will be improvement by default! I'm expecting one of Ezeh/Mouton and then Demens or Fitzgerald at the other ILB.

But I still believe this defense will be better than last year. We won't be able to replace Graham's pass rushing ability but I think we will get bigger with Campbell and Roh will no longer be a liablity in stopping the run. I'm expecting both Richard Ash and Jibreel Black to play early and I've heard really good things about redshirt Freshman Anthony Lalota as he's gained quote a bit of muscle to what was considered a very skinny frame in 09. I think this unit will be better at stopping the run since everyone other than Graham was an underclassman.

Troy Woolfolk will replace Donnovan Warren and is a better player. He will get drafted higher and I believe he will be our best cornerback. JT. Turner will start at the back safety position and Demar Dorsey and Cullen Christian will both see time early with Dorsey likely starting at the other cornerback in the opener.

How much of Stevie Brown's improvement was because he was switched to a position that he was better suited to play? And if the position switch was responsible for a lot of his improvement, how is that comparable to a possible improvement by Ezeh and Mouton, who will be playing the same positions again?

I'm not sure Stevie Brown's improvement is something we can expect from Ezeh and Mouton....although if some improvement is to be had, I think it will come from Mouton rather than Ezeh. Ezeh is what he is at this point. At least Mouton came in with the rep of an athletic freak, so maybe his ceiling is higher?

I am now convinced based on the recruiting the past two seasons that moving forward Rich Rod will play a combo of a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 like VT. Last year we played a 4-3 under like USC but it is now crsytal clear that we will be changing our base defense yet again, which is worrisome to say the least.

How much of Stevie Brown's improvement was because he was switched to a position that he was better suited to play? And if the position switch was responsible for a lot of his improvement, how is that comparable to a possible improvement by Ezeh and Mouton, who will be playing the same positions again?

I'm not sure Stevie Brown's improvement is something we can expect from Ezeh and Mouton....although if some improvement is to be had, I think it will come from Mouton rather than Ezeh. Ezeh is what he is at this point. At least Mouton came in with the rep of an athletic freak, so maybe his ceiling is higher?

That's definitely true that the position switch played a part. But I don't think you can say with any certainty that it was the only factor. I mean, the point remains that if Ezeh and Mouton have the talent to play the position, coaching could bring it out.

Did Stevie Brown suck his Jr year because of talent limitations at the position, lack of experience or lack of coaching? I don't believe Ezeh and Mouton have a lack of talent for their position, and lack of experience or poor coaching would be similar for Ezeh and Mouton as they were for Brown (same coaching, new position).

I'm as skeptical as any fan but it would not surprise me if they were solid.

That's definitely true that the position switch played a part. But I don't think you can say with any certainty that it was the only factor. I mean, the point remains that if Ezeh and Mouton have the talent to play the position, coaching could bring it out.

Did Stevie Brown suck his Jr year because of talent limitations at the position, lack of experience or lack of coaching? I don't believe Ezeh and Mouton have a lack of talent for their position, and lack of experience or poor coaching would be similar for Ezeh and Mouton as they were for Brown (same coaching, new position).

I'm as skeptical as any fan but it would not surprise me if they were solid.

If Michigan moves to a 4-2 base I think they will be far more successful at stoping the run ... they won't have to make as many reads, which the less they think out there the better ... their instincts and play recognition is aweful.

I agree with this, which is why I am hoping for Fitzgerald to take a step forward, taking Ezeh's spot. Fitzgerald and Mouton could be average.

Average, at this point, is much better than what we've had.

Vincent Smith 'patient' in return from knee surgery

Michigan running back Vincent Smith 'patient' in return from knee surgery - AnnArbor.com

Vincent Smith can’t stand to watch his Michigan football teammates go through winter conditioning.

When they’re bouncing from circuit to circuit in the weight room or off on their own doing position drills, he’s confined to a treadmill, jogging.

“Every day I see them out there running I’m like, ‘Man,’” Smith said. “But I know I just got to be patient and get my knee back.”

Seven weeks removed from surgery to repair the torn right ACL he suffered in the Ohio State game, Smith said his leg feels great, and he promised he’ll be ready for fall camp.

He walked without a limp while helping out at a youth football clinic last week, and said he hopes to start running next month.

“Everything’s going good,” Smith said. “I’m getting the strength back and getting the balancing back and just walking good and jogging good on it, so everything looks good.”

Smith ran for 276 yards on 48 carries last year as a true freshman and had a breakout 166-yard game against Delaware State.

Michigan’s most effective running back late in the season when starter Brandon Minor was out with a shoulder injury, Smith injured his knee early in the Ohio State game but played through the pain. He caught a touchdown pass in the third quarter before leaving for good after a 13-yard reception early in the fourth.

Despite the injury, the 5-foot-6, 168-pound Smith said he expects to win the starting job this fall.

"That's the goal," he said.

He’ll miss spring practice - Fitzgerald Toussaint, Mike Shaw and Mike Cox, plus freshmen Stephen Hopkins and Austin White, will take the bulk of the snaps - but Smith said that could help his development down the road.

“It’s not going to affect anything,” he said. “My off-season right now, when I’m not playing in spring I’m basically watching a whole lot of film. Just studying and just getting to know the game a little bit more than I did last year.”

For this team, a tandem of a healthy Vincent Smith and Fitzgerald Toussaint is exactly what we need.